What is it? Set 385

Page 1 of 3
I need some help with the second last item this week:
http://55tools.blogspot.com/2011/04/set-385.html
Rob
2221 Radio???
2225 This looks as if it might work like the mechanism in my fireplace that holds the flue damper open in one of three positions or lets it close.
On 4/21/2011 5:24 AM, Rob H. wrote:

2225 Ha! http://www.chimneysupply.com/?x Damper Handles & Plates 80% of the way down the page (I) Ratchet Damper Handle
On 4/21/2011 6:07 AM, Alexander Thesoso wrote:

Excellent, go to the head of the class! I'll pass this on to the owner of it, I'm sure he'll be happy to find out what it's for.
Thanks, Rob
On 4/21/2011 5:24 AM, Rob H. wrote:

inserted.

This isn't a woodworker's tool, and it wouldn't found in a toolbox or hardware store.
2221: Radio? 2222: Pickle Barrel? 2223: Early American Pizza stand off! 8>) or a cup holder? 2224: Safe opener? Security door entrance device? 2225: Barn door closers? 2226: Joiner for metal or wood?
On 04/21/2011 05:24 AM, Rob H. wrote:

It's not a radio but this answer is not far off.

Nope, it's only 6" tall. Although that sounds like a good novelty package idea, like how some wine comes in a wooden box, in this case each pickle comes in its own barrel. ;-)

Close but no cigar, the second word is correct.
Rob

Hip Flask?

It's a record player. It "drives" around the record, following the groove.
LLoyd

Correct!
http://www.x-tremegeek.com/soundwagon-vw-minibus-portable-record-player.html
In all seriousness, what a wonderfully goofy idea!!! Whoever thought this up deserves an award for creativity.
On 4/21/2011 12:22 PM, Rob H. wrote:

"Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net> wrote in message

Another name for it is 'Vinyl Killer', so I guess it's mostly for records that you really don't care about.

    [ ... ]

    Or -- to be jailed for cruelty to records. I can't imagine any way that this would track properly without exerting enough force on the stylus so it would rapidly shorten the life of the recording.
    And -- what RPM is it set to? It is bound to be wrong everywhere except at one radius.
    And if you put it on backwards, it would play the record backwards, as in some of the old stories about nasty trick built into some rock recordings. :-)
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
| Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

When I said: "In all seriousness, what a wonderfully goofy idea!!! Whoever thought this up deserves an award for creativity." I was expressing awe that our society can produce such a product. I don't want to pick a fight about the explosive subject of combining the words 'rational' and 'vinyl' in a discussion. (I still have a good working vinyl system.) Thinking about how this thing works... The left and right wheels are separately servoed. A common speed input goes to each servo. A tracking signal, derived from the stylus displacement from center, is a differential input to the servos. This centers the stylus and makes the thing go in a circle (ok, spiral). The difference in rotation of the wheels is used to derive a radius measure, which is used to generate the speed input signal, to make the speed compensate for the different linear velocity at different radii. (Or money could be spent on a gyro to get rotation rate.) All this is done in a fairly-low-volume toy at an amazingly low price.
On 4/22/2011 4:16 AM, George W Frost wrote:

Alexander Thesoso wrote:

You could pick one up on eBay and find out for sure:
http://tinyurl.com/3e5uavd
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
jeff_wisnia wrote:

Don't bother buying one on eBay. This video shows how it works and why it doesn't need all the fancy stuff you thought of:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMSbbULfAVw

At about 23 seconds into the video you will see that the stylus is on a swinging arm so that it can move inward and keep following the record groove. It looks like the bus runs in a constant radius circle around the outer part of the LP record at a speeed which "delivers" 33-1/3 RPM.
Does anyone else find it curious that 45 (RPM) is damn close to the difference between 33-1/3 and 78.26?
78.26 was the "official" speed for 78s, arising from some easy to reach gear ratio coupled to a synchronous AC motor. (I suppose that was established before they started driving turntables with those rubber idler wheels).
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
On 4/22/11 2:30 PM, jeff_wisnia wrote:

recorded without electric motors because line frequency was not considered steady enough. Record players were adjustable because different producers used different speeds, from 74 to 82 RPM.
In 1925, Bell Systems began making electrical recording equipment. Bell went with 78 because that's what Victor, the biggest producer, used. Rubber wheels wouldn't have been precise enough, but a worm gear would give them 78.26.
The same year, Bell Systems set the 33-1/3 RPM standard for cutting records to play with movies. Movies soon went to other technology.
45s and consumer 33-1/3s came out after WWII. They were probably chosen because they are exact factors of synchronous speed and are easier to remember than 78.26.
Equipment for 50 Hz uses 77.92.