What is it? Set 384

Just posted a new set of items:

Rob H.

2217. Cigar press?
*F%3F&GUID=3D537d3097=12f0a0aa13005150fff3fce2&itemid=3D110526709023&ff4=3D263602_304652Karl
Reply to
kfvorwerk
2215 a hammer-in dowel for wood

2216 marking plates for electricity / telephone pylons

all others ... not a single idea

greetings from germany Chris

Reply to
kapitaen

2219 looks like some kind of ballast. I've seen similar used to trim weight balance on pulling tractors.
Reply to
lektric dan

2216 Mile markers

Robert

Reply to
Robert

2217. Cigar press?
*F%3F&GUID=537d309712f0a0aa13005150fff3fce2&itemid=110526709023&ff4=263602_304652Karl

The two pieces of wood fit flush against each other, there is not any empty space between them like in a mold.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

2217 Trex decking boards.
Reply to
WW

2217 To help sharpen gouges?

Bill

Reply to
Bill

2215: Something very much like a piton, maybe for anchoring to a log, or maybe a real piton! Who knows, I've never seen one. ;-D 2216: Number labels, obviously, and quite old, but no clue where they were used, which is very probably the goal for this one. 2217: Not a clue, although I like the Lasagna pasta mold idea. :-) 2218: Cable Ends. These fit into a clevis-like arrangement that's anchored, and they use a different kind of coupler at the other end to attach to the cable, conceptually kind of like a fish line leader. (except for the hammer, of course. ;-) ) 2219: Obviously a deadweight, but the hole fascinates me - maybe a counterweight for a MONGO beam balance scale? 2220: C3PO's toenail clipper. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

2215) Looks like a device intended to be pushed into the mortar (while still wet) between bricks to produce a point to hang plants or to atttach blinds to brick house siding. 2216) Year update tags for vehicular license plates. More recent ones are adhesive stickers with peel-off warning features. 2217) I've seen something a little like this which were molds for the final shape when rolling cigars.

In this case, you would rotate one 180 degrees relative to the other so the grooves would line up.

2218) Some of them look like decorative things carried in pagents, but a couple appear to be tools. 2219) Looks like a sliding counterweight for something or other, perhaps a turnstile gate? 2220) Sorry -- no ideas.

Now to send this and see what others have suggested.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Just posted a new set of items:

2216 Licence plate year tags

2219 Weight for a scale.

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve

2217 - Suppose you had a piece of fabric or plastic film thin enough to let the device close almost fully. Depending on how steep the slanted portions of the curves are, when it closed it would grip with much more friction than if the faces were flat.

A painter might bring a dozen of these gripping weights to hold a thin plastic dropcloth in place; it would be much better than using the homeowner's rare books for the purpose.

They might also hold mosquito netting in place.

Reply to
J Burns

2219 counterweight for a tractor
Reply to
Kevin(Bluey)

Just posted the answers for this set, still not sure about number 2217:

Rob H.

Wonder if it might have been a form to crimp or pleat startched fabrics during a laundering or ironing process?

Reply to
Steve

Could be, though I've seen a lot of those and they were all made from metal. The owner of it thought it might be a flax seed crusher but that was just his guess.

Reply to
Rob H.