What is it? Set 383

2214 - a nocturnal.
Reply to
KentWalker

2210 - Without a cable, it could be a shifting weight for a seesaw system weighing several tons ? perhaps a ramp.

Suppose it takes 50 foot-tons to lift the ramp and when the ramp is down, the fixed counterweight supplies 45. If the rolling weight is 2 feet from the pivot, it will supply 1.5 foot-tons, so 3.5 foot-tons (50

- 46.5) will hold the ramp securely down.

Suppose the rolling weight is on tracks that are inclined slightly toward the pivot. When you start to lift the ramp, the tracks tilt slightly away from the pivot. If the weight rolls 8 feet, it will be 10 feet from the pivot and supply 7.5 foot-tons, for a total of 52.5. Now

2.5 foot-tons will lift the ramp and hold it securely up.
Reply to
J Burns

It's 7 feet long.Tiles have to be 2 feet.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

2 x 12" black, 2 x 12" white, 2 x 12" black, etc... - see larger pix for 'join lines' between tiles of the same colour

I can see them on the white areas anyway, they're a bit harder to see on the black tiles with my eyes but would assume they're the same size

Reply to
Stephen Quinn

2209 Door Stop or a hanger used on a peg board 2210 counter weight for a drawbridge or crane 2211 used for caulking ships. 2212 needle nose pliers 2213 bike spoke tool 2214 compass

Robert

Reply to
Robert

I am the owner of 2211 and when I started to try and find out what it is I researched caulking tool and found many pictures and descriptions shapes and sizes and of caulking tools none of which described my thing so I rejected that line of inquiry.It came from someone who worked in the railway (which probably has no bearing)

Reply to
F Murtz

Correct, a nocturnal dial is a star clock that uses the north star and the big dipper to tell the time.

Reply to
Rob H.

Reply to
Rob H.

One of my friends sent me this photo of a wagon pin that is about the same size and shape, it's probably for hold the back gate flap up:

's the closest that I've seen for 2211, don't know if the railroads ever used pins for a similar purpose or not.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

Pins for pickup-truck tailgates are on chains so they don't get lost.

2211 lacks a loop to fasten a cord or chain. Why would a wagon pin need a sort of screwdriver tip and a head that's a bit like a claw hammer?

What about rattan? It's very durable if maintained, but how do you weave in a replacement strand of rigid material?

I'd soak the furniture or basket and the replacement strand. Where the replacement had to pass under a strand, I'd pry the strand with the flat tip until I could get the hooked corner of the head under it. Using my index finger to hold the strand on the hook, I'd roll the tool like a claw hammer, lifting the strand until I could slide the replacement under it.

Reply to
J Burns

Great guess! This is correct. It actually weighs 1650 pound hollow and more than double that when filled with sand, they would lift it off the ground using a harness.

Still not sure about the two unidentified items but the rest of the answers can be seen at the link below, along with a video of a really cool tool box.

Rob H.

Sounds like that would work, though I did a search and didn't see any similar rattan tools. I think the wagon pin idea is just an outside possibility and posted it because it's the closest that I've seen to 2211. Hopefully someone will provide an answer for it sooner or later.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

I knew it looked like one of the old strongman props.. I just did not know about this one. I used to know a strongman who worked vaudeville and circuses in the early 1900's He had lots of pictures and some of the old equipment laying around. Very colorful character. He also had the "globe" barbells. His were chrome plated. Lots of thick, smooth handles on this stuff. That way when challenged, almost nobody had the hand strength to lift the item. The strongmen knew this and trained for grip strength. It never occurred to me that it was a dumbbell for hip or back lifts. Which meant it only moved a few inches at the most. Probably only two or three inches.

Thanks for posting that! It brought back some interesting memories.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

"orbitoclast", used to perform lobotomies through the eye socket.

Reply to
J. Clarke

"Rob H." fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@news2.newsguy.com:

I think it's a gimlet style reeding tool, for forcing in the retainer reeds in cane-seat chairs.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

It does kind of look like one, except the point doesn't appear to be sharp enough.

Reply to
Rob H.

I think it might be for a rubber seal, as around a window; it doesn't look like it's for marine use.

Reply to
Matthew Russotto

I just posted all eight of the guesses for this tool, and did some searching but didn't find proof for any of them.

Rob H.