What is it? Set 377

For "taking up" what has been spun on a (cotton) spinning wheel?

Bill

Reply to
Bill

A rest for a tuba?

Reply to
anorton

Nope, it's not for clothing or drying.

Reply to
Rob H.

It isn't for anything related to a spinning wheel.

Reply to
Rob H.

They aren't music related at all.

Reply to
Rob H.

Correct

Don't know if the shaft is hollow. Also don't know the length, if it's small then I like the finial idea, if it's large then the beer tap handle sounds better to me.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

OK, thanks. More pictures:

?productId=3D182&categoryId=3D3clips and rifle:

lektric dan

Thanks! Those are some great links.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

????? How do you use a stripper clip with a Garand?

Reply to
J. Clarke

Yep. That's what a "stripper clip" is--you hold the clip over the magazine, usually using a cutout or some other registration aid to get it properly aligned, and push the cartridges into the magazine.

Here's a guy loading M-14 magazines with a stripper clip.

Reply to
J. Clarke

OK , it's been like 40 years since I last fired an M1 . They say the memory is the second thing to go , and I can't seem to recall what the first is ... but I know I'd seen those before , and once someone mentioned '03 Springfield I remembered where . There's a military weapons display at the Pink Palace Museum here in Memphis , and there's a few of them .

Reply to
Snag

Snag, my memory of the M1 is like yours. In 1966 I started with an M-14, then spent two weeks with an M-1, primarily shooting from the hip at pop-up targets.

I looked at a video of a man loading with a bloc clip. It's not at all familiar. As I recall, we carried two 8-round stripper clips in each pouch. Reloading was quite different from an M-14 because we slid the bullets out of the clip and into the rifle.

The video notes the danger of smashing one's thumb while loading. The only such danger I recall was in opening and closing the breech for inspection.

In 1966, the M-1 was no longer issued for battle, where bloc clips would have been slightly quicker and more foolproof, especially in the dark. I wonder if we used modified Garands with the bloc clips locked in. Three possible advantages may have been to make training more efficient by reducing thumb injuries, to make logistics cheaper and simpler, and to eliminate the need to pick up and clean bloc clips.

Reply to
J Burns
2175 Shoe spreaders for a cobbler?

Reply to
Michael Kenefick

Still not sure about the last one but the other five have all been identified. The answers for this week can be seen here:

Rob H.

Why does this look considerably slower than just loading the magazines by hand, and with less of a chance of taking a chunk of flesh off the inside of your thumb?

Reply to
humunculus

The corners are rounded.

We were issued only 7 M-16 magazines, so loading them under fire could be necessary.

I would reload load bullets individually after cleaning magazines. I could not have handled 20 bullets as quickly as 2 clips. Besides, individual bullets were more likely to get lost or dirty. In the field, I was glad to have stripper clips covering the primers of my ammo.

Reply to
J Burns