What is it? Set 377

Page 2 of 2

It isn't for anything related to a spinning wheel.

Nope, it's not for clothing or drying.
2175 Shoe spreaders for a cobbler?
<snip>

A rest for a tuba?

They aren't music related at all.

2173)    Kind of hard to tell about this. It sort of looks like part     of a shortened three-ring binder, or sort of like a snap-on     cover for wiring or whatever.
    It looks as though you can depress the tabs at the ends, and     slide the inner part out of the outer part.
    Maybe a decorative wire cover for leading power to paintings for     illumination.
2174)    A clamp on the kitchen table nutcracker.
2175)    O.K. Taken as a whole, they appear to be adjustable height     supports for something cylindrical -- perhaps an in-house     aquaduct, or perhaps for supporting a wine bottle. The 'b'     version is a bit ugly for that latter purpose.
2176)    Well ... I can tell that it is a compound leverage nipper     but I can't figure what it is specifically for to give it that     unusual shape wit the exension on the right as shown.
2177)    Vented -- and a bit large for something like the storage of     garlic cloves (unless youhave a lot of them).
    Perhaps a vessel in which fermentation occurs?
2178)    Hmm ...is th ecentral shaft hollow? It looks like a finial     for a lamp -- or perhaps a slip-on handle for a beer pump where     the shape of the medalion indicates which beer is delivered.
    Now to see what others have suggested.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

Correct
Don't know if the shaft is hollow. Also don't know the length, if it's small then I like the finial idea, if it's large then the beer tap handle sounds better to me.
Rob

OK, thanks. More pictures: http://www.auctionarms.com/closed/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=6833110.0 http://shop.ernstarmory.com/product.sc ;jsessionid=C20926597C26105857B24FEBFE0F522A.qscstrfrnt05?productId=182&categoryId=3
clips and rifle:
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/File:M1903-Springfield-Rifle.jpg

Thanks! Those are some great links.
Rob
says...

????? How do you use a stripper clip with a Garand?
Stormin Mormon wrote:

OK , it's been like 40 years since I last fired an M1 . They say the memory is the second thing to go , and I can't seem to recall what the first is ... but I know I'd seen those before , and once someone mentioned '03 Springfield I remembered where . There's a military weapons display at the Pink Palace Museum here in Memphis , and there's a few of them .
--
Snag
Learning keeps
On 2/25/11 12:37 PM, Snag wrote:

M-14, then spent two weeks with an M-1, primarily shooting from the hip at pop-up targets.
I looked at a video of a man loading with a bloc clip. It's not at all familiar. As I recall, we carried two 8-round stripper clips in each pouch. Reloading was quite different from an M-14 because we slid the bullets out of the clip and into the rifle.
The video notes the danger of smashing one's thumb while loading. The only such danger I recall was in opening and closing the breech for inspection.
In 1966, the M-1 was no longer issued for battle, where bloc clips would have been slightly quicker and more foolproof, especially in the dark. I wonder if we used modified Garands with the bloc clips locked in. Three possible advantages may have been to make training more efficient by reducing thumb injuries, to make logistics cheaper and simpler, and to eliminate the need to pick up and clean bloc clips.
says...

Yep. That's what a "stripper clip" is--you hold the clip over the magazine, usually using a cutout or some other registration aid to get it properly aligned, and push the cartridges into the magazine.
Here's a guy loading M-14 magazines with a stripper clip. <
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYEitDsdKDU

Why does this look considerably slower than just loading the magazines by hand, and with less of a chance of taking a chunk of flesh off the inside of your thumb?
On 2/26/11 9:17 PM, humunculus wrote:

The corners are rounded.
We were issued only 7 M-16 magazines, so loading them under fire could be necessary.
I would reload load bullets individually after cleaning magazines. I could not have handled 20 bullets as quickly as 2 clips. Besides, individual bullets were more likely to get lost or dirty. In the field, I was glad to have stripper clips covering the primers of my ammo.
Still not sure about the last one but the other five have all been identified. The answers for this week can be seen here:
http://55tools.blogspot.com/2011/02/for-first-time-visitors-i-recommend.html#answers
Rob