What is it? Set 377

Page 1 of 2
A new set of items has been posted:
http://55tools.blogspot.com /
Rob
2173, brass cover plates for???? ? 2174, jeans rivet installer? 2175A - D, tie press? 2176, welding clamps? 2177, honey or tea holder? 2178, The finial from that piece on Antiques Road show that drop the value of that thing from 250K to 25K?
On 02/24/2011 07:25 AM, Rob H. wrote:

That's what I was thinking, some kind of finial, could be for a lamp as Doug mentioned. Five days ago I asked the person who sent it to me for the length of it, I asked again two days later in case they forgot, still haven't heard back. Most people are happy to give further information on their items, but for some reason others will submit something and then never reply if I have a question about it.
Rob

2178 lamp finial
2177: Garlic cellar.

It isn't for garlic, nor for ashes, tea, or honey as others have suggested, its real purpose is for something more unusual.

The air holes at the top suggest it is for keeping something living. What that might be I have no idea.
--
Dave Baker

Dave Baker wrote:

Beer?

Crockware was/is most used in the kitchen/pantry area. My initial guess would have been salt or butter crock. I suppose this arena can be ruled out.
How about some kind of (fermenting?) crock, for a medicinal poultice of some kind?
Sonny

I sent this earlier, but for some reason it didn't go thru.
2177 For traditional medicine believers -
A Leach storage jar

On 2/24/11 1:29 PM, WayneJ wrote:

http://shewalkssoftly.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/leech_jar_90.jpg?w@0&hF6
J Burns wrote:

http://shewalkssoftly.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/leech_jar_90.jpg?w@0&hF6
They still use them, you know.
Cheers! Rich

Yes, I took the photo in a museum but I'm pretty sure that it's a reproduction of an old leech jar.
Rob H. wrote:

2175d - Adjustable footrest for classical guitar player.
Rob H. wrote:

2175 Boot Jacks?
--Winston
Rob H. wrote:

2175 -- mail/letter holder?

No one has guessed correctly yet for these items.

Supporting some article of clothing as it dries after being starched?
Doug Miller wrote:

For "taking up" what has been spun on a (cotton) spinning wheel?
Bill