What is it? Set 375

Page 2 of 2

2166 is interesting. Looks like it has a curved 'holder' running the length, and I can imagine a rod-shaped handle that allows it to be twisted, however it releases when the rod is twisted the other way. Maybe it is some sort of hair curler, or maybe something for coiling up film or something. Not sure what the little thumb-lever is on the right side.

2164: an immersion water heater
2165: is a wood splitter for someone else to hold the long bar and the striker to hit the wedge
2163 a flower press?
--
<:3 )~

2164 is an electric cattle prod. A google.image search will show dozens of them
--riverman
I think 2166 is a cigarette rolling machine.
Paul K. Dickman

Please don't tell me that #2161 is a 'flesh plug' like this one http://tinyurl.com/4vsnhhg Ugh...

No, it's not a flesh plug, whatever that is, I'm having lunch right now so I decided to pass on the link since it doesn't sound very good.
Rob
Am 10.02.2011 11:40, schrieb Rob H.:

2166 Reminds me at something, looks like some foldet Music Stands.
Regards Walter

2161 is a bottle opener.
--
Uffe Brentsen

Correct!

2161)    Hmm ... a cut nail, bent into a loop, polished, and apparently     chrome plated. The size is about right for shower curtain     rings, but they would have to be slipped on over the end of the     rod.
    I would guess that it is a hook for hanging something, but not     sure why a cut nail was the starting point.
2162)    The size looks about right for the top two bins to hold 45-RPM     records, and the bottom shelf -- might hold a few selected ones.     This would make it useful for a traveling DJ's setup rig, back     in the days that dances were handled by records, not CDs or     iPods loaded with selected songs.
    However, the things nearby look more like explorer's gear. A     folding sighting compass to the left and a case for binoculars     (with part of the binoculars visible) to the right of the case     in question. Not sure what the foreground leather case might     hold. Perhaps a holster for a firearm -- or a machete?
2163)    Usually, I would expect something like this to be hollowed out     to hold some kind of measuring instrument or something of the     like.
    However, the strange hinges, plus the interesting latch suggest     that it is a press to hold something flat-- perhaps leaves or     something similar. The hinges could spring to accommodate     greater thickness, and the latch will hold at a fairly wide     range of thicknesses.
2164)    This looks like some sort of probe for measuring resistance,     perhaps to measure moisture content, such as in the ground. The     connector is a twistlock one which *could* have been used for     power, but is an uncommon one -- perhaps to prevent someone from     plugging it into the wall, as it would be rather dangerous.
    It looks as though there is a pushbutton to apply power only     when the button is pressed, which might suggest fairly high     voltage anyway -- from whatever portable measuring instrument     was used with it.
2165)    Looks as though it is normally mounted on a pivot and hit with     a hammer. Given how blunt the edge is, I suspect that it was     intended to be used to break something brittle like slate or     stone.
2166)    Well ... "Realistic" was a brand for Radio Shack audio gear,     but the 2 cents price at the bottom suggests that it predates     Radio Shack.
    It looks as though it unfolds, and locks onto other similar     things, perhaps to make a tabletop camera tripod -- but I would     really like to see an view of it unfolded (unlikely, given that     they live in a museum. :-)
    Now to send this off and then see what others have suggested.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

2163 - tobacco leaf press?
--
Ever wonder why doctors, dentists and lawyers have to Practice so much? Ever
wonder why you let them Practice on You?

Still no answer for this one, I'm expecting to hear back from the museum on Monday or Tuesday, 2166 was part of a display that was loaned to the museum by a local tool collector, I'm hoping that he will be able to identify it.
The rest of them were all answered correctly this week:
Rob
2163: This is about the right configuration for clamping leather belts' glue joints in old-fashioned power belting

    Far too pretty a wood veneer on the top to be used for such a work-a-day function.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
DoN. Nichols wrote:

Thanks, Rich

That's the latch, the teeth allow it to be closed tight with different thicknesses inside the press.

2161: a piercing ornament, nose, ear, whatever ?
2163: letter or a paper press?