What is it? Set 374

Page 1 of 2
Today's set of items has just been posted:
http://55tools.blogspot.com/2011/02/set-374.html
Rob
Two Guesses:
2155 A cutesy nutcracker.
2160 This looks like it might be useful in cutting, opening and closing a specific type of chain. Cutters on the sides. Points open links. Jaws close links.
On 2/3/2011 5:56 AM, Rob H. wrote:

Good guess, chain tool is correct.
Rob
Rob H. wrote:

Look just like the ones I use on tire chain repairs.
--
Steve W.

Nutcracker is correct, the rest of the answers for this week can be seen here:
Rob

-----------------
A nutcracker?? I would like to see that in action.
I assume you put the nut underneath the ball and slam the ball into it. This definitely has the potential to disintegrate some nuts!

I had looked for a youtube video when I posted the answer but didn't find one. It does seem like it would be kind of messy, I guess it would work best if you didn't drop the ball from its full height, and tried to just slightly crack the nut instead of smashing it. Someone had sent me the photo, I don't have one of my own to try out.
Rob

One standard (ANSI Z87.1 ?) for lens testing is a 1 inch steel ball dropped from 50 inch height; I've seen almost exactly this gizmo in an optical shop, as a demonstration of tempered lens toughness, with the larger ball and shorter drop height. There was a sample lens to play with...

2157: is a drum lifting device, you lift it by the top shackle and the three side pieces close in under the drum lid
2158: is a broken flywheel
2159: is a Swiss Army Lock Pick
2160: is a cable clamping tool

2160: a cable joint clamping tool

agree
looks like it, agree

A Krone or similar brand IDC connector punch down tool. Hook used for pulling wires etc.

dunno.
On Thu, 3 Feb 2011 20:57:33 +0800, Dennis wrote:

This is Correct I used to use one when i worked for Telecom (in NZ) still have it around somewhere the front part on the image (the gray bit) is pushed on the krone block and the black part is a nifty wire cutter
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/328168160/Krone_type_impact_tool_punch_down.html
that looks a lot like it there.

Yes, it's for lifting drums or barrels.
Rob
2159 Wire termination tool used by telephone techs - I used one made by 'Krone' similar to the one in the pic
http://i599.photobucket.com/albums/tt71/tready2008/krone.jpg
Steve

beat me to the only one I had a clue on... :)
Dave
On Thu, 3 Feb 2011 04:54:38 -0800 (PST), Dave__67 wrote:

isnt that a bugger when you look and go "Damn i know that " and someone else has answered already.

Thanks! Looks like you nailed it.
Rob

2155 - Looks like a toy to me. Pick it up and move around, the ball follows the inside of the rods.
2158 - Without any size reference, it could be a flywheel, but looks to me to be a little "beefier", like a drive or "bull" gear for something big. Appears to have stripped whatever shaft it was mounted on and then broke. I'm thinking that cart is about 24" long, which makes the gear close to 30" diameter, center hole close to 8 or 10". Just recently saw "How it's Made" show on locomotives, reminds me of the main drive gear attached to the axle, driven by the treaction motor.
Others, 21557, 2159 and 2160 others beat me to. I agree on drum hoist, telco tool and tire chain tool.
Norm
Nahmie wrote:

I was thinking of one of the floating balls used to show aerodynamic principals. An air supply connects to the base and when air is applied the ball rises in proportion to the pressure. It should stay centered between the rods which also keep it secured and from flying around.
--
Steve W.

#2155 Bowling ball holder.