What is it? Set 373

"Steve W." fired this volley in news:ihsno1$4pc$1 @speranza.aioe.org:

Amen, and again! That's a dummy load. But not for long use, with that case and no cooling apparatus.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

No but I been within a 100 feet of a rolling mill and was not really interested in getting any closer.

Mark

Reply to
Markem

I think this is exactly right. Google "stamp hammer" and you'll see plenty of examples....they look very much like this.

humunculus

humunculus

It might have been some type of vibration sensor or a form of microphone,

John

Reply to
John

holes in a metal ship's hull. Maybe something from the war to plug below-the-waterline bullet holes or something.

2149: Maybe something to keep count of the number of bushels of something (apples, etc) filled? 2151: A nice handmade lemon squeezer
Reply to
humunculus

I agree that it might be some kind of plug, haven't been able to find any information on it yet.

Correct, or close enough at least, they were part of a thresher and counted the number of boxes filled with grain.

Yes, though I think it's for more than just lemons.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

answer.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

2149) Looks like something designed to count out the number of lengths of some product -- perhaps cheese or butter. The device with a handle below it would appear to be for scribing a cutting line for thicker things, or for cutting fully through thinner things.

Since the smaller one seems to increment in steps of 2, I would guess that these are units of weight -- ounces or pounds.

2150) Hmm ... the '$' seems to be upside down as shown, which suggests that it would be used while standing on the item, perhaps to mark the end of a length of log as accepted.

How long is the handle? It sort of looks like a sledge hammer, but I'm not sure.

2151) Perhaps for forming round cakes of soap or something similar, with the adjustment screw tuning for the final size. 2152) Drive it into the end of a section of log, then screw it in to split the log. 2153) Where is the hole in the spike? On the end? (Not clear from the photo). If so, I might think that it would be used in a church for installing candles in candelabras and lighting them with a thin wax taper running through the spike. (I don't see the sliding part to adjust the extension of the taper, however.) 2154) A carrying case for a badly unbalanced dumbbell set. :-)

Now to see what others have suggested.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

[ ... ]

O.K. The copper makes a good electrostatic shield.

If the powder is truly carbon, it *could* be some kind of vibration transducer -- similar to a carbon microphone -- where vibration changes the resistance. Perhaps something for detecting footsteps in the forest or something similar.

I presume that there were no experiments with measuring at the terminals prior to disassembly?

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

------------------------------------ "Lew Hodgett" wrote:

--------------------------------------- "Markem" wrote:

--------------------------- In another life did some extensive R&D work involving adhesives that would hold the hot top slabs in place during a pour long enough to perform their function.

Field testing required being on the pouring platform during a pour, no more than 10 ft from a stream of molten metal flowing from ladle to ingot mold.

Clothing req'd included steel toed safety shoes complete with metatarsal steel safety flap, fire retardant suit, hard hat and flip down purple safety lens to be used when looking at molten metal.

Lost track of how many mills I was in; however, they were located coast to cost.

Probably the most memorable test was in central Pennsylvania during winter time.

Got the wake up call at the motel about 3:00AM, telling us the heat would be ready to pour within the hour.

Out in that cold night air headed to the mill.

Got to the mill and then had to wait for the heat to come in within spec.

Being on the pouring platform kept one side of you warm which was better than nothing.

Most of the mills I visited have been closed and I moved on to other activities; however, being on a pouring platform during a pour was an experience I'll never forget.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Someone sent me the photo so I don't know exactly where the hole is but was told that there is one.

Tough set this week but most of them were answered correctly, still not sure about number 2152, the rest of the answers have been posted here:

Rob H.

The owner of it said that he did some tests a few years ago (capacitance and resistance) but the results were indeterminant.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

Thanks guys, the owner of the device thinks that this is probably correct.

He had a few more questions on it:

- Why a copper case?

- Why are the input terminals red and black; they're both the same?

- Why an inner core of carbon block and an outer core of carbon powder.

- Why no markings of any kind? (could be a paper label which came off at some time.) Somebody suggested the copper case was possibly an RF shield, which sounds good except it's not grounded to anything!

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

in a Farraday suit holding two fluorescent tubes in his hands. Tell me _that_ guy isn't brave!

also have some strong doubts about the item that you listed as a cigar holder. Yes, it has strong similarities to the cigar holding patent link your provided, but there are enough functional differences that I don't see how it could be one. The one pictured in your quiz has a widening 'mouthpiece' and no provision for a foot or anything to keep it from rolling over if put down. The widening mouthpiece is very problematic for something meant to inhale through - something with appreciable resistance. The tiny hole in the hollow pointed barb that pierces the cigar would have very little air flow to start with, and that coupled with a widening and fairly large opening where ostensibly someones' lip would be, would make the draw very, very difficult. When people inhale through something with resistance, they purse their lips, not hold their lips wide. Have the owner of that holder try to smoke a cigar through it and I would bet dollars to donuts he will confirm my suspicions.

RicodJour

actual songs. Like this one here where they are playing the US national anthem on the Telsa Coils.

this one where they played the Star Wars Imperial March on one of those TV talent contents

Jonathan Wilson

RF shielding and easy to form.

They usually come as a set of B&R.

Carbon block for better voltage control, carbon powder because it's cheaper and easier to fill the container rather than machining an entire block.

If it's a kit or home built item the owner knew what it was, why label it. Plus it looks like it had been repainted, there could have been printing on the original paint.

Doesn't really require it for a dummy load.

Reply to
Steve W.

Here the DOT talks about maintaining trails by splitting rock with drills and wedges.

mentions shale, shist, sandstone, limestone, marble, and harder rocks. The metal missing from 2152 makes me wonder if it's a screw wedge for splitting some kinds of rock.

Reply to
J Burns

Well, a trumpet has a big mouthpiece, and the player purses his lips inside. However, smoking that way could leave stains around the lips, something I doubt the inventor would like. The invention had a mouthpiece that fit into the metal tube.

The invention had a bulb to catch liquids. The mystery item has none.

The parts of the invention unscrew for easy cleaning. The mystery item doesn't appear to be screwed together.

45 215 looks little closer, but still substantially different.

I wonder if the mystery item was made to let somebody smoke a cigar for five minutes and put it out without having it stink if he didn't relight for a day or so. As smoke is drawn through a cigar, water and oil condense in the tobacco. If you put it out and carry it around, it will stink as those oils get old. The mystery item could keep smoke from condensing in the tobacco by drawing it through the probe, near the burning end.

Drawing the smoke through the length of a cigar cools it. The big brass tube would be a way to cool smoke drawn from near the tip. The fatter the tube, the slower smoke travels, and the more time it has to transfer its heat to the metal. There may have been a mouthpiece that slipped into the end of the tube.

Reply to
J Burns

The one in the patent has a screw in mouthpiece, it's possible that it's missing from the one on my site, I'll ask the owner if the open end is threaded.

If it was set down in an ashtray, it wouldn't matter if it was on its side or not, I don't think it was meant to be put down on a table, same with the old cigarette holders.

I'll also ask how big the hole is, the patent mentions "a number of holes", the owner mentioned "a hole" in an email, but may have mistyped.

I think that cigar holder is the correct answer but will be happy to look at any evidence that points in a different direction, I can't think of anything else that it could be used for. I'll let everyone know when I hear back from the owner.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.