What is it? Set 372

Page 1 of 2
Just posted this week's set:
http://55tools.blogspot.com/2011/01/set-372.html
Rob
Rob H. wrote:

Ive never seen such a tool, however theres a possibility that its to do with brewing, specifically for the removal of the oak? filling bungs? in wooden beer barrels. these filling bungs are hammered in flush with the barrel so its not possible to get a purchase on the bung to remove it without getting to its underside.

This tool isn't for use on wood.
Rob
On 1/20/11 5:43 PM, Rob H. wrote:

How about ice? I don't think a screw would work on a block of ice, and tongs would require space on the sides.

That's it! The tool is an ice block carrier, when you bore into it the prongs are automatically engaged so you can pick it up.
Rob
Rob H. wrote:

2143: On examining the closeup, it's for making "curly fries" from rutabaga or wood.
2144: Reaction chamber for making organic molecules from primordial soup.
2145: Battery case.
2146: Bandersnatch cage.
2147: Jolly Green Giant's pizza cutter.
2148: Continuity tester for Frankenstein's Creature's neck studs.
Cheers! Rich
Rob H. wrote:

2143 - Looks like a bung tool. Twist and shove it into a bung, then the anchor points come out and you can remove the bung by pulling it up.
2144 - Separation chamber?
2145 - Fancy battery case. Looks like something made for model rocket use where you want to look pretty...
2146 - Maybe a model of a pigeon coop? Or a traveling cage for a finch?
2147 - Looks like some type of edger. Or a seam folder? Used by holding the bent section as a handle and the curved area at your shoulder. Then lean into or over the work?
--
Steve W.

2143 - Looks like a bung tool. Twist and shove it into a bung, then the anchor points come out and you can remove the bung by pulling it up.
2144 - Separation chamber?
2145 - Fancy battery case. Looks like something made for model rocket use where you want to look pretty...
2146 - Maybe a model of a pigeon coop? Or a traveling cage for a finch?
2147 - Looks like some type of edger. Or a seam folder? Used by holding the bent section as a handle and the curved area at your shoulder. Then lean into or over the work?
2148 - Test meter for a lineman?
-- Steve W.

I haven't been able to find another one like it on the web, I would guess it's laboratory related as few others have also suggested, although a couple of people think it might be milking related. Still a mystery for me right now.

I also think it's a battery but haven't found any proof.

Your second guess is closer.

Once again your second guess is better, and maybe partially correct though not specific enough.

This part of your answer is accurate.

No correct guesses for this one yet.
Rob
On 1/20/11 5:58 PM, Rob H. wrote:

Could it have been to press carpet into a corner? To press oakum or other caulking into a seam?

It's not for use with carpet or caulking.

Amazing. This might be the first time something did not turn out to be a carpet stretcher or fence wire tightener. :-)
Rob H. wrote:

Cage for a carrier pigeon?
Bill

Nope
On 1/20/2011 10:18 PM, Rob H. wrote:

A cage to transport the canary to the mine?
Kevin Gallimore

Correct!
Still not sure about the electrical device, and glass sphere has been narrowed down to two possibilities, the rest of the answers can be seen here:
Rob
I really hope the owner of 2144 is not in Texas: http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/RegulatoryServices/narcotics/narcprecursor.htm "In 1989, the statute was amended and requires anyone who sells, transfers, furnishes, or purchases certain precursor chemicals or certain laboratory apparatus to be regulated by DPS. "
""Chemical laboratory apparatus" means any item of equipment designed, made, or adapted to manufacture a controlled substance or a controlled substance analogue, including:" ...(D) a three-neck or distilling flask (H) an Erlenmeyer, two-neck, or single-neck flask (I) a round-bottom, Florence, thermometer, or filtering flask (here's my favorite...) (K) a transformer
Gotta luv 'em...

Lionel gonna have to answer for K!
--
"He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! "
Brian's Mum

2144: It reminds me of a receiver jar. They are used on dairy farms that use a piplene to milk cows. The milk goes from the milker and then into the pipeline. Then into the jar and gets pumped out of the bottom and into the bulk holding tank. The extra hole is for a probe that senses the level of the milk and turns the pump on and off to pump out the milk.
2143: corkscrew variant?
2144: volumetric gas mixing chamber. Used with other plumbing to hold low-pressure gasses to make accurate gas mixtures, like the Ne-He mix to fill a neon lamp.
2145: the terminals are four-way binding posts, it's probably a battery box for a toy kit with motor or lamp bits.
2146: Gerbil cage? I was thinking crab trap, but the inner parts aren't suitable, and for a bird cage, it looks amazingly undamaged.
2147: Rugged case and clip, electric power and what looks like tube fittings... with an electric meter movement. Dunno; maybe some safety-check equipment for aircraft support crews?