What is it? Set 372

Just posted this week's set:

Rob H.

Ive never seen such a tool, however theres a possibility that its to do with brewing, specifically for the removal of the oak? filling bungs? in wooden beer barrels. these filling bungs are hammered in flush with the barrel so its not possible to get a purchase on the bung to remove it without getting to its underside.

Reply to
Ted Frater

rutabaga or wood.

2144: Reaction chamber for making organic molecules from primordial soup. 2145: Battery case. 2146: Bandersnatch cage. 2147: Jolly Green Giant's pizza cutter. 2148: Continuity tester for Frankenstein's Creature's neck studs.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

2143 - Looks like a bung tool. Twist and shove it into a bung, then the anchor points come out and you can remove the bung by pulling it up. 2144 - Separation chamber?

2145 - Fancy battery case. Looks like something made for model rocket use where you want to look pretty...

2146 - Maybe a model of a pigeon coop? Or a traveling cage for a finch?

2147 - Looks like some type of edger. Or a seam folder? Used by holding the bent section as a handle and the curved area at your shoulder. Then lean into or over the work?

Reply to
Steve W.

2143 - Looks like a bung tool. Twist and shove it into a bung, then the anchor points come out and you can remove the bung by pulling it up. 2144 - Separation chamber?

2145 - Fancy battery case. Looks like something made for model rocket use where you want to look pretty...

2146 - Maybe a model of a pigeon coop? Or a traveling cage for a finch?

2147 - Looks like some type of edger. Or a seam folder? Used by holding the bent section as a handle and the curved area at your shoulder. Then lean into or over the work?

2148 - Test meter for a lineman?

-- Steve W.

Reply to
Steve W.

2144: It reminds me of a receiver jar. They are used on dairy farms that use a piplene to milk cows. The milk goes from the milker and then into the pipeline. Then into the jar and gets pumped out of the bottom and into the bulk holding tank. The extra hole is for a probe that senses the level of the milk and turns the pump on and off to pump out the milk.
Reply to
Jesse
2143: corkscrew variant?

2144: volumetric gas mixing chamber. Used with other plumbing to hold low-pressure gasses to make accurate gas mixtures, like the Ne-He mix to fill a neon lamp.

2145: the terminals are four-way binding posts, it's probably a battery box for a toy kit with motor or lamp bits.

2146: Gerbil cage? I was thinking crab trap, but the inner parts aren't suitable, and for a bird cage, it looks amazingly undamaged.

2147: Rugged case and clip, electric power and what looks like tube fittings... with an electric meter movement. Dunno; maybe some safety-check equipment for aircraft support crews?
Reply to
whit3rd

This tool isn't for use on wood.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

I haven't been able to find another one like it on the web, I would guess it's laboratory related as few others have also suggested, although a couple of people think it might be milking related. Still a mystery for me right now.

I also think it's a battery but haven't found any proof.

Your second guess is closer.

Once again your second guess is better, and maybe partially correct though not specific enough.

This part of your answer is accurate.

No correct guesses for this one yet.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

Could it have been to press carpet into a corner? To press oakum or other caulking into a seam?

Reply to
J Burns

How about ice? I don't think a screw would work on a block of ice, and tongs would require space on the sides.

Reply to
J Burns

That's it! The tool is an ice block carrier, when you bore into it the prongs are automatically engaged so you can pick it up.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

It's not for use with carpet or caulking.

Reply to
Rob H.

Amazing. This might be the first time something did not turn out to be a carpet stretcher or fence wire tightener. :-)

Reply to
humunculus

Cage for a carrier pigeon?

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Nope

Reply to
Rob H.

A cage to transport the canary to the mine?

Kevin Gallimore

Reply to
axolotl

2143) Tool for deburing the other side of a drilled or punched hole. Drilled is more likely to have limited access to the far side. 2144) If the Pyrex logo is a round green color fired onto the glass, then it is some form of chem lab equipment. There is a lot which has been special modified for an unusual task.

This may have started as a sphere with a single neck, and the other two were added by a glassblower at the lab in question. Given the angles of the necks, I suspect that it was for reacting at least two gasses, and drawing off the results in yet another direction.

If it is such a modified piece of labware, it is unlikely to have a specific name.

It does look to have plain necks, not the ground glass fitted ones for coupling directly to other glassware -- so whatever it reacted probably would not attack rubber stoppers.

2145) Lots of possibilities -- most of which would be supported by the presence of markings on the box somewhere.

It looks as though the two binding posts are not on the standard 3/4" center to center spacing, so I suspect that it was someone's home-made product. (The reason for the standard spacing is so standard dual banana plugs can fit into it, not needing a separate connection to each post. The posts will accept banana plugs, wires (through a transverse hole under the knobs) and fork terminals.

The fact that two different colors of binding post are used suggests that it is polarized - but it may also simply represent what was available from the piece of equipment which was canibalized to supply the binding posts. These are the cheap ones which were used on Heathkit equipment, and likely from Radio Shack stores as well.

I don't see the normal insulating mounting spacers, so the box itself is likely plastic, not metal -- unless it is a dummy device not really intended to be connected to.

What is there could be:

1) A standard cell (1.0194V or so) -- but there should be a marker to not turn it upside down. (Standard cells really have to sit on a shelf forever undisturbed.) 2) A standard resistor (no need for polarity there), but there should be a marking showing the value. 3) A standard capacitor. If electrolytic, the polarity markings from the colors of the binding posts is useful, of course. Again -- no markings to show the value inside. 4) A battery (polarity makes sense there, of course), but again, no markings. And -- no obvious way to replace it, though the bottom could be open. We don't see that view, so we don't know. 5) Intended to look like an explosive device. 6) Something which I have not yet thought of. 2146) Some kind of trap or remote-release cage. I note that the floorboard appears to be under stress, which might be used to shoot the door open or closed. 2147) Looks like something designed for rolling a groove between a curbstone and the grass alongside it -- or alongside a sidewalk or driveway. 2148) Looks like something designed to measure some characteristic of a gas -- and to adjust the flow of it. It looks as though the meter dial is marked in percent, and it appears to be an electrical meter of some sort.

There is a hose barb on the right. The left might be an adjustment knob or some form of calibrating plugin.

There is an old mil-standard connector on the other end of the cable.

I don't know whether the hanging loop pivot does anything else as well -- since it appears to be knurled for either adjustment or field removal and replacement.

Now to send this off and see what others have suggested.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I'll ask the owner what color the logo is and will post the reply when I get it.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

Correct!

Still not sure about the electrical device, and glass sphere has been narrowed down to two possibilities, the rest of the answers can be seen here:

Rob H.