What is it? Set 371

Another set has just been posted:

Rob H.

2137) Lumberjacks pound it into a tree to make a foothold. 2138) A retractible button. Press the back, and it seats smoothly on the fabric 2139) A handle for lifting grill plates on a woodstove 2140) A wool carding thingy. Or maybe a mole trap 2141) Tent stakes 2142) A turnbuckle for pulling two sheets of heavy canvas tight. The feet on the ends went into little 'buttonholes' in the canvas, then the handle was twisted.

Now to see if any of my wild guesses were even close to right.

Reply to
humunculus

2137 Blacksmiths anvil stakes they fit into the Hardy hole on an anvil. 2138 coin carrier fo sixpences , the sixpences fit into the back and are held in the item by the spring 2139 stove plate handel 2140 carpet stretcher 2141 meat scewers 2142 turn buckle of some description ,no idea what it would be used for.
Reply to
Kevin(Bluey)

2137: blacksmiths anvil piece 2138: you got me 2139: wood combustion stove firebox plate lifter 2140:
Reply to
George W Frost
2140 I've seen a similar tool used to separate fibrous material (flax, papyrus, hemp). The worker takes a handful of fibrous stalks, slaps it down on the comb and pulls. Repeatedly.

2142 This looks like a tool for repairing cracked stone blocks. Stick the flat surfaces to either side of the crack, with a removable cement. Clean the crack and fill with a permanent cement. Pull the crack closed. When the permanent cement has set, knock off the tool and clean the surface.

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

Everyone seems to agree that 2139 is a handle for a stove plate, and they're probably right, but to me, who's never owned a cast iron stove, it looks like a "church key" - a bottle opener. I have owned bottles...at least temporarily. ;)

RicodJour

It isn't an anvil stake but the work 'anvil' is part of the two word answer.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

There are no correct guesses for this one yet.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

2137 Flattening metal by hand? Place a handle over the tang and pound til your hearts content? (I'm convinced it's the convex end that is the important feature--I didn't notice it until the 2nd picture).

Bill

Reply to
Bill

How about a tool for handling wire--say, #2 guage?

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Yes, it's for working with wire, but there is a more specific term that describes its use better than 'handling'.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

It's not missing a handle but it is for flattening a particular piece of metal although not as described above. Actually, the word 'flattening' isn't the best word to use here, that is essentially what it does but there is better word for what happens when this tool is used.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

On Jan 13, 10:47=A0am, "Rob H." wrote: re:2137

Is this a sheet metal dolly of some kind?

Reply to
lektric dan

Looks like a wire wrapping tool The 2 wires are passed through the hook on the tool one is bent towards us in the pic and then the tool is moved around the wire to create a twisted joint

Reply to
Robin Halligan

Looks like a wire twister. Used to make coiled joins in wire.

Reply to
Steve W.

Unless I'm sorely mistaken, its purpose is to broach square holes in hot plate. One holds it w/ tongs along the grooved sides and whacks the large end away from the pointy one...there's a similar one in the collection of grandfather's old blacksmithing tools and I recall making holes for carriage bolt heads for some hand-manufactured farm implements when I was a kid lo! those many moons ago.

Now there may be some other usage that could be made of it as well, but I'm venturing that's the original purpose...

--

Reply to
dpb

This answer and Steve's are both correct, typically it was used on wire fences.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

Is this a sheet metal dolly of some kind?

That's not it.

Reply to
Rob H.

Nope. It would have been used by a farmer.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

Looks like a saw anvil. Pound it into a tree stump and use it to set the teeth of a logging saw.

Kevin Gallimore

Reply to
axolotl