What is it? Set 370

Page 1 of 2
I need some help with three of the items this week:
http://55tools.blogspot.com/2011/01/set-370.html
Rob
On 1/6/2011 9:16 PM, Rob H. wrote:

2133 Looks like it made from copper and tinned on the inside for use for food cooking or . maybe is a pot that you fill with water and place on the stove and boil the water and use it to heat other pots , the different rings are for different sized pots to sit on. Or could be a steamer if the oer pots have holes in the bottoms.
2134 sealing wax container with finger ring
--
Kevin (Bluey)

2133 is used in chemistry labs to hold round-bottomed flasks of different sizes in a double boiler. The lower section is filled with water or mineral oil.

2135: Tool for mixing a compost pile.

Correct, it's a compost turner.
Rob

2132. The first type of handle allows the user to saw things like floorboards situated below him and for the entire blade length to go into the board and cut through any tangs. The conventional handle is designed for normal sawing with the user standing and the saw held at elbow level.
2136. I suspect these might be templates for copy lathes.
--
Dave Baker

This isn't the answer that I was looking for but it does sound reasonable.

I think this is probably right but I haven't been able to find any others like them.
Rob

The top handle can be used as a square to measure 90 and 45 degrees.

2132: On the first saw the front edge of the handle is at 90 and 45 degrees to the back of the blade so it can be used as a set square for marking out.

My first thought till I looked and realised it isn't, certainly not the "90 deg" bit.
2132 is the proper tool for dealing with spammers
--
Stuart Winsor

Midland RISC OS show - Sat July 9th 2011

I agree that in the photo it doesn't look like 90 degrees, but I'm sure that it was distorted a little by the camera lens.
Rob

Correct, some saws have the angle stamped on with the handle but this one is unmarked.
Rob

I can pretty much promise you that carpenters (at least self respecting ones) don't use saw handles to measure out angles on wood with. Many saw handles have what looks like a 90 and 45 degree angle on them but that really isn't the main point.
If the hand hole in a saw handle is at 35 to 45 (ish) degrees to the blade then that's a floorboard or flooring saw.
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/30120/Hand-Tools/Saws/Floorboard-Saws/Irwin-Jack-Floorboard-Saw-12Tpi-13-330mm
If the hand hole is closer to perpendicular to the blade then that's yer general duty crosscut and ripping handsaw.
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/20912/Hand-Tools/Saws/Hard-Point-Panel-Saws/Bahco-244-Handsaw-20
--
Dave Baker

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/30120/Hand-Tools/Saws/Floorboard-Saws/Irwin-Jack-Floorboard-Saw-12Tpi-13-330mm
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/20912/Hand-Tools/Saws/Hard-Point-Panel-Saws/Bahco-244-Handsaw-20
Don't think you really saw what the angle really was , The shape of the handle hole is the same in both of your photos, just the angle of the saw is different Whether it be a cross-cut or a back saw, the cut depends on the shape, set and number of the teeth not the position of where the hole is in the handle. Different number and set of teeth for different jobs. The angle of the handle is also for ease of use to obtain the closest angle of preferred cut If you saw me use a saw and tried to tell me how to use a saw, it would be a saw point

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/30120/Hand-Tools/Saws/Floorboard-Saws/Irwin-Jack-Floorboard-Saw-12Tpi-13-330mm
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/20912/Hand-Tools/Saws/Hard-Point-Panel-Saws/Bahco-244-Handsaw-20
I think it's quite likely that the manufacturer wanted to cut costs and decided on a cheaper to make handle. The angles were so they could advertise it as "new and improved" to camouflage the real reason for the change. Art
as.de...

That seems to be a bit of circular logic. If the purpose was merely to make a cheaper handle, then there would be no reason to make the angles 90 and 45 degrees. Those had to be purposefully engineered in, which means the 'cheaper' aspect was actually a hidden benefit, not a primary one. And the angles were the primary purpose, not a camouflage.
In any case, its a clever idea but I wonder how useful it was.
On 1/12/11 2:53 AM, humunculus wrote:

The first time I had to cut off a board with a saw like that, I looked for a try square and saw it (no pun intended) immediately.

2131. I can only guess it's for gripping logs so they can be sawn.
--
Dave Baker

Good guess! This is correct. Still not sure about two of the items but the rest of the answers have been posted:
Rob

2131 jolly green giants nut cracker :-)
2134 To check a persons Ring size. could possibly be bolted down like the pen's at the bank
Robert