What is it? Set 366

Page 1 of 2
I need some help with the last item in this set:
http://55tools.blogspot.com/2010/12/set-366.html
Rob
Am 09.12.2010 11:42, schrieb Rob H.:

2108 Is used to serve wine, the inner glasstube can be filled with ice to keep the wine cool witout having melted ice in the wine.
2109 Is it to grab golfballs?
regards from .de Walter

These are both correct.
Am 09.12.2010 11:42, schrieb Rob H.:

2108 Is used to serve wine, the inner glasstube can be filled with ice to keep the wine cool witout having melted ice in the wine.
2109 Is it to grab golfballs?
2112 Might be a tension spring scale?
regards from .de Walter
Walter Kraft wrote:

It appears to be. The clamp on the end suggests that it is intended for some specific application.
I'm guessing it is used to set the pre-load on something. Clamp this gadget to the object, pull on the handle until the pointer reads the proper load, then clamp the object down. Question is: What is 'the object'?
--
Paul Hovnanian snipped-for-privacy@hovnanian.com
2107 Car storage tray, plugs in to a hitch. Often seen with a electric wheel chair, coolers, dead deer.... 2108 In the Hersey's Kiss commercial the inner tube dispenses the caramel, the larger outer the chocolate. What this one does I have no idea. 8>) 2109 Bellow / air pump? 2110 ream of some sort? Barn mounted on a pole / post? 2111 pipe clamp for working on water pipes. 2112 torques'esq device. maybe to check tinsel strength if metal.
On 12/09/2010 05:42 AM, Rob H. wrote:

That's not it.

I thinking along these lines, some type of tension gauge, I don't think it's a scale because if you held it while weighing something then the numbers on it would be upside down. Seems like it was made to be used by pulling on something horizontally.
Rob
Rob H. wrote:

Indeed...looks like manual tension gauge. The connection was for a relatively small piece w/ either a hook formed for the thumbscrew to go into or a ridge or similar one would presume. Otherwise, doesn't look like would hold too well on just a flat (unless the spring isn't as stout as it looks and the scale isn't pounds--altho thinking, 25 lbs at full stroke wouldn't be _that_ much)...
Well made device; definitely a serious purpose but I'm at a loss as to for what, specifically...

I would say almost certainly not. It's appears to be designed to be used with the hook end downwards and the knurled screw attached to something. The key might be in the exact design of that screw end which we can't see. I would expect there to be a hole, or at least a dimple, opposite to the screw for the end of it to go into to make a secure attachment to something like a flat plate with a hole in that.
It would also help to know what the scale is graduated in. Pounds, ounces, kg etc.
--
Dave Baker

Forget that enquiry. It's almost certainly pounds. I can see enough of the spring to deduce from scaled measurements of the photos based on your approx length of 7" for the item that the compression spring has an o/d of about 20mm, a wire thickness of about 1.9mm, 12 or maybe 13 coils with the top two or three hidden from view and about 2" of travel between the 0 and 25 readings.
Putting those data into my compression spring calculation program gives me a spring rate of about 12 lbs per inch which is exactly what we need for 25 lbs over 2 inches. If the scale were in ounces the spring wire would need to be much thinner and for kg somewhat thicker - about 2.3mm although that might just be within the limits of uncertainty based on such approximate measurements.
--
Dave Baker

2107 is a hitch receiver luggage carrier (with too long a hitch post) 2108 a wine cooler/dispenser, with the center container carrying ice 2109 a golf ball "shag bag" ball picker-upper
2110 looks to me like a semi-manual vegetable/fruit peeler
2111 looks to me like a spring tensioner or belt tensioner
LLoyd
"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" <lloydspinsidemindspring.com> fired this volley in

got my numbers off by one 2112... skipped the pliers/wrench LS
On 12/9/2010 5:42 AM, Rob H. wrote:

2107: Could be used for planting seeds (by hand), avoiding confusion about adequate spacing?
Bill

#2107: Noting the steel post--how about a window frame?
Bill
2107 Carrier for rear of truck or van... extended tube so something can be mounted closer to vehicle first.
2108 Wine decanter, server ice goes in the middle, can be used for any drink though.
2109 Golf ball picker upper. used for practice in an open field.
2110 Corer of some sort.
2111 Crimper
2112 can be used as a tension scale to pull on something and test for breakage, or weight scale for smaller items like fish.
On 12/9/2010 5:42 AM, Rob H. wrote:

a really silly guess from germany...
2107 ... you have posted the answer yourself, directly at the right side ;) it is a positioning helper for thumbnails on a html page. (no, not a single idea what it is)
2108 to serve wine
2110 to form springs?
2112 a simple weigh (Waage), or maybee a torque measurement unit (Drehmomentanzeige)

Good guess! It's for making bed springs. Still not sure about the tension gauge but the rest of the answers for this week can be seen here:
Rob

2111: crimping pliers for rounding metal edges for guttering or car doors, pots, pans etc.

Correct, they are beading pliers for automobiles.
Rob
2010 might be a, hell, I don't know the name for it, and scoreboard doesn't sound right - it's a rack that holds race position numbers during a race. There was a similar one for sailing on the race director's boat on the bay where I grew up.