What is it? Set 365

Page 1 of 2
Another set has been added to the web site:
http://55tools.blogspot.com /
Rob
Rob H. wrote:

2104: A puzzle. The goal is to remove the four jacks from the string. 2105: Adjustable carpet beater? ;-)
Cheers! Rich

2101: a rebating plane
2102: a dolly hammer used as a dolly while being hit with another hammer to shape metal for tight spaces.
2103: a drinks cooler with the drawers for the glasses , the drinks in the opening top with ice to cool

At first I had thought it was a molding plane, but now I think rebating or rabbet plane is correct. The owner of this tool doesn't have a blade for it but did send a few more photos from better angles:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/harnett65/Album%2012/12-3-10006.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/harnett65/Album%2012/12-3-10004.jpg
Still not sure about the tool that looks like a hammer but the others have been answered correctly:
I'll probably post another weekend set sometime tomorrow.
Rob
    [ ... ]

    Hmm ... so (2103) *was* for Edison cylinder recordings. The reason why I had rejected that as a guess was that the drawers looked too shallow for the right length vs diameter ratio. But I guess that I mis-judged the spacing of the drawers. Still, the primary image with the opened drawers does not look like there was enough spacing.
    Enjoy         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

They do look kind of shallow, must be the angle, someone sent in the photos so I didn't see this cabinet in person.
Rob
says...

As the "someone", I've still got access to it--if anyone would like to see a different angle please let me know.
DoN. Nichols wrote:

Like this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnsizkVjGm8

;-)
Cheers! Rich

That's pretty funny, but I guess since they're made of wax you'd have to figure that they aren't going to last very long.
Rob
2103 Guess: It looks like the drawer spacing is just great enough for this to be a storage cabinet for Dictaphone/Edison wax recording cylinders, stored on end.
On 12/2/2010 5:11 AM, Rob H. wrote:

Great guess! That's what it was made to store.
Rob
Rob H. wrote:

2106 The top portion of a steelyard?
--Winston

#210 Standard 'veryday beading plane?
Bill

My guesses: 2101 A Rabbit Plane 2102 A Hammer for working this sheet metal. 2103 An old indoor commode when a trip to the outhouse wasn't possible. It does make a fine looking storage cabinet though. The thunder Mug that came with it would also make a fine trash can in the shop. 2104 Some kind of attachment for a Mop head? 2105 Did the center bolt have a spring around it? If it did I would say some kind of scale? Or maybe a door hinge?
DL
2104. If the 4 "jacks" are metal then it could be used as a trivet to keep hot pots or pans off a table or counter top. The string keeps them together when not in use. Art

Good answer, this is correct.
Rob

    O.K. Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking as always:
2101)    A mortising plane -- for putting decorative or functional     edges on planks. Now usually replaced with power tools.
    The "Comma" or "Apostrophe" shaped piece of wood wedges the blade to the desired depth.
2102)    Size?
    Looks as though it is to lever the edge of something up relative     to another surface.
2103)    My first thought was of a case for a wind-up phonograph, but     the brackets in the drawers are not right for holding either     disks or cylinder recordings. They *might* hold tins of     needles, but I can't picture anyone having that many needles,     unless they are selling them from this as a display.
    And -- they take up too much space for someone to be using a     sewing machine which folds up out of the top -- because you     would need room for the knees of the operator to pump on the     treadle to run it.
2104)    Something strange as a game of some sort.
    22" is too short to serve as some form of jumprope, and too     long for some other things, and the "jacks" are captive on the     line.
2105)    Looks like a trigger for some kind of trap or snare. Held     down by a rope or hook through the 1/2 loop at the bottom. Some     kind of load (deadfall, spring-loaded snare, or similar is     pulling up at the kink near the upper end of the loop. When     something pulls out or down on the wire going to the left, the     loop at the top slides off the end of the straight section of     wire and releases whatever it is.
2106)    Yet another device for tensioning fences? Not much travel,     based on the length of thread on the eye-bolt.
    Now to send this off and then see what others have suggested.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

After an extensive web search, I believe 2106 is a 6" Fisher Scientific ruler. :-) Kerry

2105 - A bent coat hanger wire.

Lobby Dosser wrote:

I hope 2105 is not a horse's bit.
Bill