What is it? Set 354

Page 2 of 3

Thanks for the information, I just updated the answer page.

I don't own the priest, if it's still at the shop next time I go, I'll check the engravings.
Rob
Add pictures here
✖
I don't fish, but, on the topic of this item, I have two comments, one technical and one nostalgic...
From the link, it sure looks like this is a very nice 'priest' or fish-basher but... I'd expect a club used to kill fish to be lighter than water. The metal head would seem to make it heavier than water, so if you dropped it, it would sink and be lost. It does have a wrist loop, but I find it hard to imagine a fisherman keeping in on his wrist at all times, or stopping to put the wrist loop on while landing a fish.
A long time ago, when I was a kid, there was a local fish market. It had a large tile-lined tank that held live merchandise. The buyer could point at a fish and say "I'll take that one.". The merchant had a club used to kill the fish. It was a simple round billet of wood, about 2.5 inches in diameter, with one end turned down to about 1.25 inch diameter to make a cylindrical handle. He also used it to drive a cleaver to segment larger fish.

Add pictures here
✖
On Sep 20, 6:13 pm, "Alexander Thesoso"

Yes, it is much heavier than water, and if you dropped it, it sure would sink, along with the $25 you spent on it. Most fishermen use it on shore or in a boat when they land a big fish. Flyfishermen are fairly well-known for spending exorbitant amounts of money on fancy things that a cheaper thing would work just as well for. Like fancy wading boots (instead of hiking boots or even sneakers), fancy fishing shirts (instead of pretty much anything), fancy nippers (fingernail trimmers work just as well), floatant (candle wax or ski wax is amazingly good at this), priests (try a rock), expensive fishing sunglasses (instead of the cheaper polarized ones at the checkout rack), etc. And don't get me started on fly tying stuff....
--riverman Oh the fishing bone's connected to the wallet bone....
Add pictures here
✖
<Big snip>
Yes, it is much heavier than water, and if you dropped it, it sure would sink, along with the $25 you spent on it. Most fishermen use it on shore or in a boat when they land a big fish. Flyfishermen are fairly well-known for spending exorbitant amounts of money on fancy things that a cheaper thing would work just as well for. Like fancy wading boots (instead of hiking boots or even sneakers), fancy fishing shirts (instead of pretty much anything), fancy nippers (fingernail trimmers work just as well), floatant (candle wax or ski wax is amazingly good at this), priests (try a rock), expensive fishing sunglasses (instead of the cheaper polarized ones at the checkout rack), etc. And don't get me started on fly tying stuff....
--riverman Oh the fishing bone's connected to the wallet bone....
My weighted plastic whacker is heavy enough to sink too. It is small enough to stow in the kayak. I simply fasten it and the landing net to the boat with a leash made from 3/16 shock cord. For years I used a pedal arm from an old bicycle. It worked fine! For the record my "expensive" fly tying vice is one I made in my workshop. Everything I needed for it was in the scrapbox, which is an old wooden Japanese mandarin orange box. money spent on the kayak and equipment is another matter, $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!
Steve R.
Add pictures here
✖
Steve R. wrote:

Sounds all to familiar... The wife and I were looking at new rod/reels last night. Need to get ready for the new season you know....
One place we were at took exception to me opening the reel up to look at the drive train. Guess who won't be getting any of my money!
--
Steve W.

Add pictures here
✖
Steve W. wrote:

Must have been some place like K-mart or Walmart?

Add pictures here
✖
Steve R. wrote:

I think most flyfishermen (meaning me) would rather see things sink than see them float down the river. Just depends... Of course a string resolves the problem either way. Some people put their car keys on a string. Of course, it helps if the other end of the string is tied to something too! : )
Bill
Flyfishermen are

Add pictures here
✖
On 9/20/2010 6:13 AM, Alexander Thesoso wrote:

1500 bucks worth of rod and reel doesn't float and fishermen are willing to take their chances with it, so I don't see why they'd worry about a simple club.
<snip>
Add pictures here
✖
    [ ... ]

    That is certainly likely.
    Of course, there are also the ones which have two pads full of claws intended to grip carpet-surfaced tiles. :-)
    [ ... ]

    Probably so.

    O.K.
    And I've seen them give way in a matter of hours. :-)
    And I've also seen a single lever-operated suction-cup stand (works by deforming the middle of the cup -- no valve holes at all) intended to hold dial indicators and other things for machinist purposes let go of rather smooth surfaces in less than an hour -- when another metalworking club member was demonstrating just how good it was. :-)
    Of course, you don't want to use soapy water on ground steel. :-)
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
✖

True. as with any tool, it works better if you use it properly. :)

True. Anything with a relatively low surface tension, to act as a 'void filler' where the cup meets the mounting surface, will extend the grip strength/duration _considerably_. As long as it isn't absorbed into the materiel of either the cups or the surface, doesn't particularly matter how 'volatile' it is -- the molecules 'doing the work' are in an essentially 'sealed' environment.
Add pictures here
✖
Rob H. wrote the following:

It was stuck on a dashboard or windshield with a suction cup mount (missing?) to see a traffic light that was hidden by the roof above the windshield when waiting at a light. You didn't have to lean forward in the seat to peek up at the traffic light. I had a similar one back in the 50s.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Jerry - OHIO wrote the following:

I had a 53 Mercury Monterey, 2D, 2 Tone Green. I don't remember if it was on that car or one of the other 50's FMC cars I owned
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
willshak wrote:

They were also similar option for GM vehicles -- the '48 truck had a factory-option one, the '39 a aftermarket version.
LMC Truck has them in recent catalogs; I presume JC Whitney probably still has 'em, too, altho I've not looked...
<http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/ca/full.aspx?Page2

✖
I need one for my 2007 HHR 8>)
On 09/17/2010 01:22 PM, Jerry - OHIO wrote:

Add pictures here
✖
LMC TRUCKS have them,check under their 50's trucks or J C SHITNEY !!!! Jerry
✖
The reason for them is if you had one of those visors on your roof it was hard to see the light. I put one on my PT Cruiser.
Jerry
✖

I'm cheap, I just wait until the guy behind me honks.
Add pictures here
✖
"Lobby Dosser" wrote:

There are a few places I've been in my time where that would definitely not be considered swift, much less safe.
Lew
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 18:57:10 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"

than the Klaxon - and is used more!
Add pictures here
✖