What is it? Set 354

Just posted this week's set:

Rob H.
2039- Old cars had these mounted on the dash board so you could see the traffic light if you were to far into the intersection to see the light.

Jerry

Jerry - OHIO
2036- Was that on the end of a spring board used by loggers???

Jerry

Jerry - OHIO

Never seen any like that here, and my uncle had a logging company! Single bladed boot jacks as we knew them, were used for climbing.

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.

2036: A heel or toe iron for a logger's boot?

2037: Fish whacker.

2038: Rack for drying seaweed.
Reply to
Halvor Pedersen

Rob H. wrote the following:

2039 looks light a "traffic light finder" A type of prism lens. It was stuck on a dashboard or windshield with a suction cup mount (missing?) to see a traffic light that was hidden by the roof above the windshield when waiting at a light. You didn't have to lean forward in the seat to peek up at the traffic light. I had a similar one back in the 50s.
Reply to
willshak

We're the only ones that know what is. Mine is on my 53 Merc.

Jerry

Jerry - OHIO

The reason for them is if you had one of those visors on your roof it was hard to see the light. I put one on my PT Cruiser.

Jerry

Jerry - OHIO

Jerry - OHIO wrote the following:

I had a 53 Mercury Monterey, 2D, 2 Tone Green. I don't remember if it was on that car or one of the other 50's FMC cars I owned

Reply to
willshak

Reply to
Michael Kenefick

They were also similar option for GM vehicles -- the '48 truck had a factory-option one, the '39 a aftermarket version.

LMC Truck has them in recent catalogs; I presume JC Whitney probably still has 'em, too, altho I've not looked...

Reply to
dpb

LMC TRUCKS have them,check under their 50's trucks or J C SHITNEY !!!! Jerry

Jerry - OHIO

I'm cheap, I just wait until the guy behind me honks.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

----------------------------- There are a few places I've been in my time where that would definitely not be considered swift, much less safe.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

------------------------------ Brass and salt water are totally incompatible.

Salt water leaches the zinc out of the brass, thus bronze is the choice.

Copper is too soft.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

There are many places in the USA where the Colt works a lot better than the Klaxon - and is used more!

Reply to
clare

Who said anything about salt water?

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Well, New Jersey does come to mind ...

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

But they tend not to have traffic lights.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

---------------- When is the last time you were in L/A?

In some parts of town, the cars have more guns than cell phones.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett