What is it? Set 354

Page 1 of 3
Just posted this week's set:
http://55tools.blogspot.com /
Rob
2039- Old cars had these mounted on the dash board so you could see the traffic light if you were to far into the intersection to see the light.
Jerry
2036- Was that on the end of a spring board used by loggers???
Jerry

Never seen any like that here, and my uncle had a logging company! Single bladed boot jacks as we knew them, were used for climbing.
Steve R.

2036: A heel or toe iron for a logger's boot?
2037: Fish whacker.
2038: Rack for drying seaweed.
"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

------------------------------ Brass and salt water are totally incompatible.
Salt water leaches the zinc out of the brass, thus bronze is the choice.
Copper is too soft.
Lew

Who said anything about salt water?

Mostly salt water here, plus one river, a lot of creeks, and lakes. I only do fresh water fly fishing now, and have a glow in the dark fish whacker made of some heavy plastic. In the lakes, the fish feed at dawn and dusk, so it can be very dark. On moonlit nights they can feed for most of the night. Still have my old saltwater whacker, it looks like a small baseball bat, just what is needed for a 50 pound salmon!
Steve R.

    Would such an item "a priest" be likely to be in full-time contact with salt water -- even if the fishing were being done in salt water, not fresh?

    For something in full time contact with salt water -- especially underwater fittings on a boat, yes. Something which occasionally gets splashed (as this would be if it is indeed a fisherman's "priest") is not going to have enough exposure to make this a problem.
    And I believe that I was replying to a suggestion which was that its use was for removing, installing hub spinners for wire wheel equipped sports cars. (You trimmed too aggressively to make it easy for me to verify this.) For that -- either brass or bronze would be too hard, and likely to mar the spinners. Copper or lead would be the choices there.

    For what? Given the relative hardness of a fish's head, I think not. For removing a hub spinner on an automobile -- softer is better, since the tool is replaceable at low cost, while the spinner is a rather expensive part.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

---------------------- As a sailor, I'm prejudiced.
Might find some brass in the shop, but never on the boat.
Sooner or later, it will bite you.
Lew

Naval Brass tends to fare a bit better, due to a lower Zinc content.
Steve R.

Then you smack the fish on your forehead.

It's specifically a brass trout or salmon priest. Trout ones are usually about 8" long and salmon ones 10" and heavier obviously for the larger fish. Yours at 9" is in between. My own has an aluminium end which isn't the ideal material being fairly light unless you use lots of it but my grandad bought it for me 40 years ago and it's done the job perfectly well so far. For sea fish you'd want something at least a foot long and much more robust or you'll just annoy them when you hit them on the head with it.
BTW it's certainly not for "stunning" the catch as your answer says. It's for "killing" a fish as quickly and painlessly as possible. The last thing you want is for the poor creature to only be stunned and wake up later in the creel and suffocate slowly in air.
Yours may even be a Hardy as it has the same turnings on the head as this one.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item00453237652
Do the engravings say anything?
--
Dave Baker

Dave Baker wrote:

I usually put the "poor creatures" back in the water! They like it there. : )
Bill

If you are not going to eat them, why do you torment them?

For fun. Mine, not theirs.
--riverman

For fun. Mine, not theirs.
--riverman
'torment' was a bad word choice. I assume that's not the intent.
On 9/19/2010 2:57 AM, Lobby Dosser wrote:

Don't assume it's torment for them--I recall one guy catching the same trout four times in the same day (he marked it somehow the first time--I forget how). Perhaps its the way fish are programmed, or perhaps it's that fish have a different idea of "fun" from humans.

Guy probably clipped a fin. Trout might just have been real hungry and/or the fisherman did an excellent job of matching the hatch.
Never could get into catching more than I was going eat or give to friends. Quit completely when when my balance went and standing upright in a river was near impossible, never mind playing a fish.

There is an ongoing debate between fishermen and others about the 'inhumanity' of fishing, based on the assumption that fish must feel the pain of the hook, since they kick and fight so hard. Or at the very least, that it's harmful or traumatic bringing them into the air and supporting their bodies outside of the water.
The debate rages on. Many fishermen (myself included) have caught a single fish repeatedly, and released it repeatedly, which seems to suggest that the whole experience isn't traumatic enough to make them change their behavior. I have heard of scientific studies that suggest that fish lack a certain structure in their brains that would enable them to feel pain.
In any case, whenever I see those National Geographic images of grizzly bears catching salmon, dragging them onshore and ripping their skin off while the fish kicks and twists, I figure it could be a whole lot worse for the fish than to be pinched in the lip, quickly brought to hand, held underwater lightly while the (barbless) hook is removed, and then positioned gently so that the current flows over its gills and it is revived enough to swim away.
--riverman (who doesn't use a priest, but raps them on the head with his knuckles instead)