What is it? Set 346

Page 2 of 3

d> said:

Theydositinachair.Thethingthecandlesareonrotates.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

It appears to me that a sitting person would need long arms to turn the stand, lift a rack of candles, and dip them in a big kettle.

I remember them doing a lot of sitting but maybe that was in between tourists.
Hey guys... Candle dipping, candle making is (roughly) and industrial process. It is unlikely that anyone would heat up a vat of tallow, dip 10 canldles, and then move on. I doubt that anyone involved in making candles would want a pretty thing like 1989 to hang the partial candles from. The wax that drips would be recycled into the vat. 1989 seems to have no provision to catch the drippings. 1989 (I argue) has a social display function, and is hardly likely to be a candle dipping rack. That said, I've no idea what would be displayed and hung from 1989.
said:

before somewhere, and I think that's it.

Problem is, I've never seen one that looks like that. Even googled.

And I'd expect to see wax all over the thing. Does the little block on top open up? It sure looks like a rack to hold fancy glasses and a bottle in the 'cage'.....
--riverman

OK, wild stab in the dark: I think its a pipe rack for holding those long-stemmed clay pipes and a jar of tobacco...similar (in the most general sense) to this: http://tinyurl.com/2blqh7u
According to this site (http://tinyurl.com/2dkuer8 ) the stems of those pipes run up to about 21 inches...the right size.
-riverman
humunculus wrote:

Pipes are normally stored with the stems up so the passages don't gum up. Besides, no slot is needed if the end can be inserted through the hole.

Normally, yes, but not always. Google "longstem pipe rack" and you will see examples of display racks where the pipes are stored stem- down. And threading a long clay stem down through a hole is considerably less convenient than just slipping them through a slot. --riverman

Look at this. It was sold as a "pipe holder" http://tinyurl.com/27gxcwd
--riverman
humunculus wrote:

It looks good to me. The bowls would rest in the trough in the bottom ring. In the top ring, the "slots" are about as wide as the "holes."
humunculus wrote:

I googled it and found just one, holding two clay pipes that had never been smoked.
According to my measurements of Rob's first photo, the diameter of the holes is about 2.7% of the length of the top. According to my measurements of Rob's second photo, the top is about 13 inches long.
That indicates that the diameter of the holes is about 0.35". The stems of some clay pipes would probably fit in the holes, but no clay pipe stem wold fit through the slots.

Or why not something like this? http://tinyurl.com/27aameh
--riverman
humunculus wrote:

Why display spoons on a stand that somebody could trip over?

I think it might have hung, just as it does in the picture.
--riverman
humunculus wrote:

Why put legs on a hanging rack? Why put a big bottom shelf 18" below a spoon rack? If it's to display spoons, shouldn't the holes be along the long side away from the wall?
When a spoon rack has holes and slots, apparently one slides the handle through the slot, then turns the spoon 90 degrees. In that case, the spoons couldn't be wider than 5/8" because that's approximately the center-to-center spacing of the holes.

I think it might have hung, just as it does in the picture.
--riverman
On 7/26/2010 2:15 AM, Lobby Dosser wrote:

All of this mention of "tripping over" and "it would be too low" and so on are assuming that the thing is meant to sit on the floor. Why would it not be placed on a dresser or table or shelf?
J. Clarke wrote:

If it's for display, why take up space on a dresser or table or shelf? Why not hang it at the ideal height? However, the large ring suggests to me that it was intended to be hung up frequently and not left on the wall like a display rack.