What is it? Set 340

Page 2 of 2
"Rob H." wrote >

1894??
That explains why you did not see it at the local tack shop!
Some of these old tools were very ingenious. It may have not worked that well for hooves, but compound leverage became common on other tools. Like my limb lopper.
On Tue, 8 Jun 2010 13:34:27 -0700
<snip>

Here are a couple of similar devices via Google Patent. They claim to be Hoof Trimmers:
http://www.google.com/patents?vidQ1885
http://www.google.com/patents?vid '1038
If they didn't work so well, maybe that is why we haven't seen one of them around :)
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Rob H. wrote:

Must be some TOUGH hooves in your area. Never needed compound leverage around here.
--
Steve W.

Rob H. wrote:

Hollowed logs were used as water pipes in North America in the 19th Century. You'd taper one end and seal the fittings with animal fat.

Maybe it would pull a rivet tight and deform it slightly before it was hammered.

Correct, it's for tapering logs so that they would fit together, though I was told it was for logs that transmitted gas but I would bet that it was used for both water and gas pipes.
Rob
Rob H. wrote:

Gas sounds better. For water, I think it would be worthwhile to bore a bigger hole.
J Burns wrote:

We found wood water pipes when we dug the basement for my fathers place in 1975. Still flowing water from a spring about 1/2 mile away. Actually had to make a sump pit and a drain to stop the water from causing problems. Last I knew it was still flowing at a good rate.
The hole was about 1" or so and the "pipe" itself was maybe 3" across.
--
Steve W.
(\___/)
Steve W. wrote:

Wow! How long were the sections? I wonder how they guided and powered the bit. I wonder what kind of wood was preferred.
J Burns wrote:

The sections we dug out were around 6-7 feet long.
--
Steve W.

On Tue, 8 Jun 2010 04:17:56 -0400
1954 - Shoe makers tool, "Shank Laster". Used to stretch the upper part of a boot over the last and into the hollow of the shank.
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

This is correct, and somehow was almost exactly what I had planned to use on the answer page.
They've all been answered correctly this week:
Thanks to all who participated this time and also thanks for the comments about the web site.
Rob

    And posting a little earlier than usual.
1951)    A "limber" -- carries accessories and ammunition for a     cannon on its own set of wheels.
    Out of curiosity -- why so much white space between the images?
1952)    Tool for shaving wood round. It looks as though it is upside     down, as it would have to be turned counter-clockwise in its     current orientation.
1953)    Hmmm .... it grips something else using the two rusty looking     hollow tubes when the lever with the rubber handgrip is pulled     up.
    Once gripped, it is used for maneuvering that under something     else (like a jack under a car perhaps)?
1954)    Grips two sides of something and pulls the sides together.     There is no visible hook eye, so it is unlikely to be for     lifting the something, so I would guess that it is an aid in     assembling something.
1955)    Large compound leverage end nipper. Might be for cutting hot     rivets to length, or perhaps for cutting off the ends of mild     steel bolts once the nut and washer are installed.
    The cutting blade is replaceable, which suggests a tough     workpiece to be cut.
1956)    I think that these are light baffles around amber lamps used to     make an arrow or other traffic directional signal, or perhaps     on the back of a slow-moving road maintenance vehicle.
    Now to see what others have suggested.
    Enjoy,         DoN.

No good reason, I didn't want them too close together and somehow over time the spacing grew to where it is today. I've been using the same template for a couple years now and haven't recently paid any attention to the white spaces. I'll shorten them up some in the next post.
I haven't asked for any feedback in quite a while, if anyone else has some constructive criticisms or comments, pro or con, feel free to post them here or email them to me.
Rob

as another poster said this week, thanks rob for continuing to do this. every week everyone has lots of fun with it. it's a bright spot on r.c.m..
b.w.

Hi Rob,
I agree, the spacing is a bit excessive... but even so, it's nit picking.
Thanks for the posts... it's the first thing I look for every Thursday morning! I even have a filter set making your posts stand out.
Erik

    [ ... ]

    My filters not only make it stand out -- but cancel out the filters which would normally keep me from seeing it because of the number of newsgroups in the cross-posting. In general, if anything is that heavily cross-posted, it is spam, trolling or political diatribes. This is the exception.
    I see that there is one less newsgroup in the "Newsgroups: " header here -- rec.puzzles has been dropped for whatever reason.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
"DoN. Nichols"

rec.puzzles showed up here.........

    [ ... ]

    Yes -- I saw it later in the original headers. I'm not sure why I did not see it when I was typing.
    Thanks,         DoN.
Rob H. wrote:

1953 is a towbar for the smaller Cessna single engine aircraft.
John

1951 Looks like a gun limber for a canon.