What is it? Set 340

Are you sure on this one? I grew up with too many horses and trimmed more than my share of hooves. The tool everyone used was regular nippers

I had never seen compound ones. However google turned up these
which are very similar to your photo with the exception that yours have one rounded end and only one cutter. This leads me to doubt that they are for hooves. Art

Reply to
Artemus

It's definitely a hoof trimmer, patented in 1894:

tool probably didn't work as well as other trimmers and went out of production years ago.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

No good reason, I didn't want them too close together and somehow over time the spacing grew to where it is today. I've been using the same template for a couple years now and haven't recently paid any attention to the white spaces. I'll shorten them up some in the next post.

I haven't asked for any feedback in quite a while, if anyone else has some constructive criticisms or comments, pro or con, feel free to post them here or email them to me.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

Here are a couple of similar devices via Google Patent. They claim to be Hoof Trimmers:

?vid=271038If they didn't work so well, maybe that is why we haven't seen one of them around :)

Reply to
Leon Fisk

Must be some TOUGH hooves in your area. Never needed compound leverage around here.

Reply to
Steve W.

1953 is a towbar for the smaller Cessna single engine aircraft.

John

Reply to
john

as another poster said this week, thanks rob for continuing to do this. every week everyone has lots of fun with it. it's a bright spot on r.c.m..

b.w.

Reply to
William Wixon

Hi Rob,

I agree, the spacing is a bit excessive... but even so, it's nit picking.

Thanks for the posts... it's the first thing I look for every Thursday morning! I even have a filter set making your posts stand out.

Erik

Reply to
Erik

That's a new one on me. Thanks, And thanks for the weekly challenge. Most appreciated. Art

Reply to
Artemus

Gas sounds better. For water, I think it would be worthwhile to bore a bigger hole.

Reply to
J Burns

"Rob H." wrote >

1894??

That explains why you did not see it at the local tack shop!

Some of these old tools were very ingenious. It may have not worked that well for hooves, but compound leverage became common on other tools. Like my limb lopper.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

1951 Looks like a gun limber for a canon.
Reply to
Steve R.

We found wood water pipes when we dug the basement for my fathers place in 1975. Still flowing water from a spring about 1/2 mile away. Actually had to make a sump pit and a drain to stop the water from causing problems. Last I knew it was still flowing at a good rate.

The hole was about 1" or so and the "pipe" itself was maybe 3" across.

Reply to
Steve W.

This is correct, and somehow was almost exactly what I had planned to use on the answer page.

They've all been answered correctly this week:

to all who participated this time and also thanks for the comments about the web site.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

Didn't look like any I'd seen either. Karl

Reply to
kfvorwerk

Wow! How long were the sections? I wonder how they guided and powered the bit. I wonder what kind of wood was preferred.

Reply to
J Burns

The sections we dug out were around 6-7 feet long.

Reply to
Steve W.

[ ... ]

My filters not only make it stand out -- but cancel out the filters which would normally keep me from seeing it because of the number of newsgroups in the cross-posting. In general, if anything is that heavily cross-posted, it is spam, trolling or political diatribes. This is the exception.

I see that there is one less newsgroup in the "Newsgroups: " header here -- rec.puzzles has been dropped for whatever reason.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

rec.puzzles showed up here.........

Reply to
Phil Kangas

[ ... ]

Yes -- I saw it later in the original headers. I'm not sure why I did not see it when I was typing.

Thanks, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols