What is it? Set 340

Next week I'll be back to the usual Thursday schedule:

Rob H.

1951. ammunition caisson
Some sort of shave. I'm going to guess for a wooden wheel hub but I think they're actually done on lathes. 1953. Tow bar for light aircraft. 1956. Guessing. Lights on a portable traffic sign. Thanks Karl
Reply to
kfvorwerk

1952 - tenon cutter for wagon wheel spokes 1955 - used for trimming horses' teeth?
Reply to
Doug Miller

"Rob H." fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@news1.newsguy.com:

1952 Fence rail tenoner 1953 Barbed wire "dolly" for un-spooling on the ground... just walk with it.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

1951 is a caisson. I think you ran this one before. 1956 looks like a close up of one of those portable directional arrows they use on highways.

--riverman

Reply to
--riverman
1955: Everything about this points to blacksmith nippers -- the first time I've ever seen a pair with compound action.

Northe

Reply to
Northe

Looks like they already got ahead of me, but . . . .

1951 - Caisson. I believe this was pulled by horses and the cannon towed behind it. 1953 - my guess was a small plane towbar 1955 - ???? but makes me think of blacksmithing tools.

Norm

Reply to
Nahmie

1951 - And the Caissons go rolling along....

1952 - Looks like it would be used to make the round end of a wooden wheel hub.

1953 - Clamp on handle for a small wagon?

1954 - ????

1955 - Farriers clipper for nails?

1956 - Looks sort of like the older director signs used on the highway for construction sights.

Reply to
Steve W.

Correct

Yes, the sign with an arrow that points both left and right.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

No correct answers yet for this one, most people have the right idea but don't have the specifics right.

You're in the right ballpark but it's not for nails.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

Is it for pulling nails from horseshoes?

--riverman

Reply to
--riverman

Maybe to make the seat for the ring that locks the hub together?

Shoe trimmer? Can't think of much else that would require the compound action.

Reply to
Steve W.

Hollowed logs were used as water pipes in North America in the 19th Century. You'd taper one end and seal the fittings with animal fat.

Maybe it would pull a rivet tight and deform it slightly before it was hammered.

Reply to
J Burns

Correct, it's for tapering logs so that they would fit together, though I was told it was for logs that transmitted gas but I would bet that it was used for both water and gas pipes.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

It's not for trimming shoes or pulling nails but these guesses are not far off.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.
1955 - ceramic type tile nippers or for some sort of pottery or glass. The straight sharper edge suggests this, to me.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Trimming hoofs??

Reply to
Lee Michaels

That's it!

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.
1954 - Shoe makers tool, "Shank Laster". Used to stretch the upper part of a boot over the last and into the hollow of the shank.
Reply to
Leon Fisk

And posting a little earlier than usual.

1951) A "limber" -- carries accessories and ammunition for a cannon on its own set of wheels.

Out of curiosity -- why so much white space between the images?

1952) Tool for shaving wood round. It looks as though it is upside down, as it would have to be turned counter-clockwise in its current orientation. 1953) Hmmm .... it grips something else using the two rusty looking hollow tubes when the lever with the rubber handgrip is pulled up.

Once gripped, it is used for maneuvering that under something else (like a jack under a car perhaps)?

1954) Grips two sides of something and pulls the sides together. There is no visible hook eye, so it is unlikely to be for lifting the something, so I would guess that it is an aid in assembling something. 1955) Large compound leverage end nipper. Might be for cutting hot rivets to length, or perhaps for cutting off the ends of mild steel bolts once the nut and washer are installed.

The cutting blade is replaceable, which suggests a tough workpiece to be cut.

1956) I think that these are light baffles around amber lamps used to make an arrow or other traffic directional signal, or perhaps on the back of a slow-moving road maintenance vehicle.

Now to see what others have suggested.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols