What is it? Set 340

Page 1 of 2
Next week I'll be back to the usual Thursday schedule:
http://55tools.blogspot.com /
Rob

1951. ammunition caisson http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limbers_and_caissons 1952. Some sort of shave. I'm going to guess for a wooden wheel hub but I think they're actually done on lathes. 1953. Tow bar for light aircraft. 1956. Guessing. Lights on a portable traffic sign. Thanks Karl

Correct
Yes, the sign with an arrow that points both left and right.
Rob

1951 - horsedrawn seed spreader 1952 - tenon cutter for wagon wheel spokes 1955 - used for trimming horses' teeth?

1951 Artillery Wagon 1952 Fence rail tenoner 1953 Barbed wire "dolly" for un-spooling on the ground... just walk with it.
LLoyd

1951 is a caisson. I think you ran this one before.
1956 looks like a close up of one of those portable directional arrows they use on highways.
--riverman
1955: Everything about this points to blacksmith nippers -- the first time I've ever seen a pair with compound action.
Northe

Looks like they already got ahead of me, but . . . .
1951 - Caisson. I believe this was pulled by horses and the cannon towed behind it.
1953 - my guess was a small plane towbar
1955 - ???? but makes me think of blacksmithing tools.
Norm
Rob H. wrote:

1951 - And the Caissons go rolling along....
1952 - Looks like it would be used to make the round end of a wooden wheel hub.
1953 - Clamp on handle for a small wagon?
1954 - ????
1955 - Farriers clipper for nails?
1956 - Looks sort of like the older director signs used on the highway for construction sights.
--
Steve W.

No correct answers yet for this one, most people have the right idea but don't have the specifics right.

You're in the right ballpark but it's not for nails.
Rob

Is it for pulling nails from horseshoes?
--riverman
Rob H. wrote:

Maybe to make the seat for the ring that locks the hub together?

Shoe trimmer? Can't think of much else that would require the compound action.

--
Steve W.

It's not for trimming shoes or pulling nails but these guesses are not far off.
Rob
1955 - ceramic type tile nippers or for some sort of pottery or glass. The straight sharper edge suggests this, to me.
Sonny

Trimming hoofs??

That's it!
Rob

Are you sure on this one? I grew up with too many horses and trimmed more than my share of hooves. The tool everyone used was regular nippers (
http://www.paradeacrestack.com/images/hoof%20nippers.jpg ) and I had never seen compound ones. However google turned up these (
http://www.hooftrimmer.org/MVC-007S.JPG ) which are very similar to your photo with the exception that yours have one rounded end and only one cutter. This leads me to doubt that they are for hooves. Art

It's definitely a hoof trimmer, patented in 1894:
http://www.google.com/patents/about?id=3JdYAAAAEBAJ&dqQ1885
This tool probably didn't work as well as other trimmers and went out of production years ago.
Rob

That's a new one on me. Thanks, And thanks for the weekly challenge. Most appreciated. Art
.com...

Didn't look like any I'd seen either. Karl