What is it? Set 339

Page 2 of 2
Rob H. wrote:

1945 - Handy target?
1946 - Very well used kneading bench?
1947 - Something to do with an overhead projector?
1948 -
1949 - You didn't have the complete set available? Anyway it's a taper cutter for starting the process of cutting a tenon on the end of a piece of wood. This tool shapes the end so the cutter can start in the center and cut true.
1950 - Grass Sickles, Also used for cutting just about anything else where a hand sickle can be used. I use mine to cut the weeds on the back bank.
--
Steve W.
(\___/)
Rob H. wrote:

1945. An insect trap. Saw one of these that demonstrated how smart and adaptable some animals are - a spider had built a web across the opening! Kerrry
Kerry Montgomery wrote:

[snip]
30" long? Those must be some mighty big insects!

1945. It looks like a larger version of the fruit fly trap in my orange tree. It catches those pesky flying squirrels (or moths). :-) If not a trap, perhaps it is a bat or bird habitat ("To the Bat-Tent Robin!"). 1946. A butcher table that slopes to allow the easy collection of blood and entrails? 1947. I need one of these. It is a surrender flag for the United States Lost Hope Society (U.S.L.H.S.). 1948. Oil lamp? My guess is that the container on the right is filled with oil. The oil flows through the horizontal tube to the nozzle on the left. The oil burns on the tip of the nozzle. 1949. Attaches to a brace. Used to make conical points on wooden cylinders. I think I saw one used on the "The Woodwright Shop". 1950. Mom and Pop-sickles. :-)
Carl G.

1945. 'Looks like a gypsy moth trap. But the tree looks like an ash, so it's probably for emerald ash borers.
--
Ed Huntress

"Rob H." wrote:

Ya' can't fool me. That thing with the blue trap in it is called a tree.

    O.K.     Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking as always:
1945)    looks like some form of kite to me. Interesting shape.
1946)    Some form of butcher's table? The curvature of the top would     help keep things from sliding off at least.
1947)    At a guess -- it was for cleaning the Fresnell lenses (and     perhaps reflectors as well) in a lighthouse.
1948)    Interesting. It sort of looks like something for generating     and burning acetylene for lighting or cooking.
1949)    This is mounted in a drill brace (of Brace & Bit fame) and used     for forming a conical point on wood. Exactly *why* I don't     know, however. :-)
1950)    sickles -- for harvesting (by hand) wheat or something similar.
    Or -- one half of what you need to make two copies of the Soviet     flag emblem. :-)
    Now to see what others have suggested.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
| Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

When I first saw it I thought someone had lost a box kite, until I found two similar ones a few miles down the road.
They've all been answered correctly this week, although I don't think anyone got the specific type of lamp for number 1948.
Rob

The box trap is a Jackson Trap. A county bug guy was complaining about the cost of test traps and his wife said use milk cartons and that is the idea behind the trap.

1945 looks like a giant moth trap, but perhaps not.
1946 common butchers block.
1950 a pair of sickles, though they look skinnier then the ones I used as a kid

They have been subject to many years of wear. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

I did my best to wear one out. Fortunately the folks bought a lawnmower! :)
Steve R.
Rob H. wrote:

Part of a mercury boiler--for a high vacuum mercury diffusion pump. Jerry

#1945 thanks Rob there's one near my house I was curious about what it is