What is it? Set 339

Page 1 of 2
As also mentioned on the web site, I'll be posting a couple days early next week.
http://55tools.blogspot.com /
Rob
1946 This looks like a common, well-worn, butcher block. (For people who have never seen a butcher cut up meat... this is the table he uses.)
1947 I'll guess this is the rag used to clean the lenses in a United States Light House Ship.
1949 Chamfering tool. Used in a brace to put a diagonal chamfer on the end of a cylindrical piece of wood.
1950 OK, I'll bite... What is special, or unusual about these sickles?

1949 I was a bit wrong... this is a spoke pointer. http://jonzimmersantiquetools.com/tools/bitstock.htm About 1/3 of the way down.
http://jonzimmersantiquetools.com/tools/point_1.jpg

This answer is correct although the last word in the acronym isn't ship.

Nothing really special about them, several people had mentioned to me that they look at the web site with their grade school aged kids, so I thought I'd post an easier item once in a while that they might be able to answer.
Rob

United States Light House Service. Responsible for light houses and lightships as well as some other aids to navigation. Became part of the Coast Guard sometime in the late '30s IIRC.
WayneJ

Anybody should be able to tell that 1950 is _a_ bi-sickle. Hard to ride it, though. <grin>

1945 is an insect trap, often designed to catch a specific species (with a pre-determined scent/bait), in order to determine whether that species is present in a certain area. I believe that these are for the Asian ash borers, an invasive species that is destroying all of the ash trees in the Midwest.
1946 looks like a stand-alone (and well-worn) butcher block, with end- grain facing up. Why it was varnished is unclear.
1949 could be a crayon or pencil sharpener, although I would say it is missing the "handle" or the part that would give the user some leverage in performing the sharpening operation.
1950 is a hand-held scythe, to cut a crop or hay. Whether it was designed for a specific crop, I don't know.
Pierre

Correct, it a trap for catching ash borers.

Yes, it's a butcher block, though I was thinking it was sloped on purpose. This is the first one that I've seen that didn't have a flat surface, but I'm not sure if normal wear and tear would cause that much loss of wood.
Rob
1946 is a well worn butchers block. My dad had a butcher shop when I was four years old. He would have me rub salt on it to clean it at night. That one has many years of use. I would love to have that one. Jerry
http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutcher/1974RuppCentair

The price on the butcher block was $395, it's in a shop in SW Ohio, send me an email it you want more info.
Rob

Rob I can certify from personal experience that they will, indeed, lose that much wood over 20-30 years of use.
LLoyd

I guess all that chopping would take its toll over the years, all the ones that I've seen probably had minimal use.
Thanks Rob
writes

It does when "normal wear and tear" involves being struck repeatedly with a chopper, day after day.
Nick
--
Nick Wedd snipped-for-privacy@maproom.co.uk

You sure it's not the Headsman's Block?

Yes, it does. Takes a lot of use and time, but a butcher block _is_ virtually indestructable. Not all that uncommon to find ones that have been in use for over (and sometimes _far_ over) 30 years.

1947 was for clean light house lens.
Mark
1945 Insect trap 1946 Butcher block 1947 used to record records for a light house 1948 still condenser 1949 metal funnel, where would it be used? Steam powered car refueling funnel? 1950 sickles, for hay, wheat or weeds.
Rob H. wrote:

1945 looks like a BIG Gypsy Moth Trap 1946 is a well-worn butcher's block 1948 looks like an old and weird implementation of a sausage-stuffer 1950 is a pair of Sickles, or "hand scythes" for hand-harvesting grain or hay
LLoyd

of them growing up. I wanted to make one but never got around to it.
1950. On half of the symbols used on the old USSR flag. I am not sure if the russians still use it. Remember the old "hammer and sickle"? And the symbology/philosophy it represented?
On 6/3/2010 9:58 AM, Lee Michaels wrote:

FWIW, there's an extensive wikipedia entry on "hammer and sickle" that shows a number of flags and other emblems where it is still used.