What is it? Set 338

Page 1 of 3
More photos have been posted on the web site:
http://55tools.blogspot.com /
Rob
1939 Guess... Though I've never seen one like this... Telegraph key / bug.
1941 http://www.bloggersbase.com/gadgets-and-Mobile/franklin-chair-stepladder /
1943 Yoke for a draft animal. Donkey, mule, horse?
1944 I'm looking forward to a lot of funny/silly guesses on this one.

Thanks, that's a good link, I knew it was a step ladder but didn't know it was called a Franklin chair, someone sent me the photo, it's the only one that I've ever seen.
Rob

1941 - combination chair & step-stool.
1942 - stylus and guides from an Etch-A-Sketch

1939 Morse Code key, a 'bug'.
Dave

IF it's a bug (I had the same idea) it is absolutely the weirdest one I've ever seen. The stroke timing weights (if that's what they are) don't appear adjustable, and the whole thing appears to pivot about the flex of that long looped spring in back.
Definitely a "bug from outer space".
I also cannot figure out what that rotating star-shaped element between the paddles is...
LLoyd

My first reaction was that it was a bug too. Looking at it closely and thinking about it, I'm wondering if there are some pieces missing.

Perhaps technically not a bug, looks like the proper term is a paddle (after some looking). Bugs have a dit key and a dah key, a paddle is just two keys.
http://www.arrl.org/images/view/TIS/Morse/Bencher_paddle.jpg
http://www.mtechnologies.com/misc/keyadj.htm
Dave

Yep, have had both. The Vibroplex was a real mechanical bug, the paddle switches worked with an electronic keyer.
(de WA4ZEG)
LLoyd
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

It's a Bencher Iambic paddle. Have one on my bench. Works by squeezing the two paddles. Takes a bit of practice to use.
--
Steve W.
(\___/)
Rob H. wrote:

1939 - Morse code paddle key. That one is a Bencher unit, just like the one on my bench.
1940 -
1941 - Flip top chair/step stool. Flip over the top section and you get a small set of steps.
1942 -
1943 - wooden hames for use with a collar to harness a horse.
1944 - message cylinder? Might read that this is a private message and opening by anyone other than the king/commander/ whoever means you face the death penalty.
--
Steve W.
(\___/)
Ade wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telegraph_key#Iambic_.28dual-lever.29_Paddles
--
Paul Hovnanian snipped-for-privacy@hovnanian.com
Ade wrote:

An iambic key can send faster with less effort than a straight key. Also because of the way the paddle works it like a Vibroplex bug can highly reduce the chances of developing carpel tunnel do to the repetitive motion. It does take a bit of practice to use one and since they are VERY adjustable it takes a while to fine tune it to your fist.
--
Steve W.

Yes, hames is the answer that I was looking for, they're used on a work horse.
Rob

I think those are hames for oxen. Hames for horses have more of a curve.
Rob H. wrote:

338 telegraph key, "Vibroplex" was one mfgr-- Dashes were made by pressing key sideways in one direction, A series of dots was generated by pressing the other direction.weight on spring adjusted for speed of repetition of dots much less tiring, operation by rolling the wrist from side to side.
1943 A pair of hames--fit on a Horsecollar which was a leather faced canvas pad stuffed with ???.The assembly was held together with hamestraps---if you ever been whipped with a hamestrap you'd remember it!! a pc of leather about " thick, 1- wide & 18" long with a belt buckle on one end.--If you had some nice animals used for light work, you could get some collar pads---usually yellow w/red trim little larger than the horsecollar about an inch thick stuffed with cotton--fancy! Jerry
I think you'll find Vibroplex is more associated with the single paddle "keyer" that makes contacts side-to-side only. I still have one...ca, 1965ish. Anybody want a DX-60/HR-10? or my old SB-102 I can't bring myself to toss?
John formerly WB2QLG WB8SEZ ..until the 'net made DX seem..well-- worthless.

1939 Telegraph key. 1940 Reminds me of an "impossible object" puzzle. For some reason "hay" comes to mind (perhaps it is used for bailing, winnowing, etc.). 1941 Chair that can be converted into a step ladder. 1942 Etch-a-Sketch drawing mechanism--without all of the nasty gray powder. 1943 Yoke for cattle or horses? 1944 Military classified message tube. The original inscription ended something like "Not to be opened by anyone under the rank of <Colonel> upon penalty of death". Possibly Civil-war era.
Carl G.

Yeah, thats what I thought also. But it contains some clues
--found on a beach --well carved --able to be disassembled --triangular shape
For some reason, I think it came off a boat. I'm imagining the corner of a triangular sail...maybe this is some sort of batten puller or device for tensioning a sail or something. I think of the woodcraft and carving skill of mariners....
This one is curious.
--riverman

Hmm, or what about something to wrap something? Like to hold a furled sail, or a sheaf of hay or something? The one removable side could be inserted last, and twisted into place to hold something.
--riverman