What is it? Set 336

Just posted another set of miscellaneous items:

Rob H.

1931. Bar shot for a canon. Really good for taking out ships rigging. Karl
Reply to
kfvorwerk

In message , Rob H. writes

I guess that there is a rod connected to the centre of the star, passing through the brickwork behind it, and under tension. The purpose is to help stop the wall from collapsing outwards. But this wall looks to be in good condition.

1930 Rolls of hay, wrapped in polythene to protect them?

Nick

Reply to
Nick Wedd

1930 - scare coyotes

and photobucket (enlarge image) has 4 viruses ... :(

Reply to
Lobby Dosser
1927 Mortising jig 1928 Fancy alarm cover 1929 hand Cigarette roller paper holder 1930 Hay bails covered in the field? 1931 not an old dumbbell?

Mike > Just posted another set of miscellaneous items:

Reply to
Michael Kenefick

Sorry about that, this is the first time that I've heard of a virus problem with photobucket, just did a search on it and found that some people have had issues with this starting in January. I've used my account several times a week all year and haven't had a problem.

Thanks for letting me know about it, I just removed all of the "Larger image" links on my current post, I'll do some more searching and see what I can find out about this.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

Reply to
Doug Miller

snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) fired this volley in news:hsgo28$ms1$3 @news.eternal-september.org:

Called a tie bolt escutcheon. Found on a lot of early colonial buildings to take up rafter thrust on outer roof-bearing walls.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh
1930 free-range chicken huts/coops.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh
1931 Bar shot -- often part of a chain-shot combination, but also fired alone for taking out masts and rigging on an enemy vessel.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Nick Wedd wrote: ...

Basically. It's called "net wrap" and does serve to shed water as well as hold a bale together more reliably than does "string wrap". Runs a little more (we are ~$US 0.50/bale on infield charge differential)

--

Reply to
dpb

Oh, and to avoid any possible confusion there's no connection to these folks; just happened upon them some time back and knew had the up-close photos and product pictures...we're in SW KS and bale (not custom-work)

5-600A of our native grass hay annually (small amount in comparison to the custom guys like these).

--

Reply to
dpb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

1927 - Looks like a mortising jig

1928 - Normally does two things. It provides a decorative effect and it's main purpose is to secure a beam/cable or other object on the interior of the wall to act as a support for either the wall or the item in question. Acts like a fender washer and spreads the load over a wide area.

1929 -

1930 - Which items? The calf hutches, the power poles, the trees or the fencing?

1931 - 12 pound bar shot. For a cannon.

1932 -

Reply to
Steve W.

wrote

1931. Bar shot for a canon. Really good for taking out ships rigging. Karl ============

I looked up bar shot. Got all kinds of info on alcoholic drinks. So I added the word cannon. Interesting stuff. Apparently another name for this projectile was angel. No idea why.

Another interesting projectile was a hot shot. This was a heated cannon ball shot from shore batteries at wooden ships. It would land on the ship and start fires.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

I contacted Photobucket and they sent me this reply:

There had been a virus issue related to a third party ad and this most likely affected many sites and not just Photobucket.

What was the exact message your friend saw and was he alerted by a particular anti-virus program?

Can you provide a link to your blog and the image he followed so we can try to recreate the steps?

Sincerely,

Your Photobucket Support Team

-----

If you answer his questions I'll pass them along to Photobucket.

Thanks, Rob

Reply to
Rob H.
1927 - I think this is some sort of combination saw jointer, gauge, setting tool. Similar to:

some searching, couldn't find an exact patent match for it...

Reply to
Leon Fisk

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

Yes, I don't know the exact name for it but your description is accurate.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

Not very clear, can't see any detail, just blobs in a field but my guess is pig shelters

Reply to
Stuart