What is it? Set 335

Page 2 of 2
1922 looks a lot like the Acetylene generator I'd stoke each morning the summer I worked in a blacksmith's shop. You'd open the door and add a cup of carbide to a pan of water. Being acetylene, it had to be low pressure and the gas was drawn off at the top via a manifold. The one I kept stoked was about 5' tall and made of heavy steel.
Nonny

--
Nonny
On most days,

1921 could be a handle from an old time shocking machine.
Steve R.

1921)    This looks like one of those self-defense weapons which     essentially extends with a flick of the wrist and becomes     something which can at least severely bruise an attacker, if not     actually break bones.
    The leather loop goes around the wrist to keep it in control as     you flick it, I think.
1922)    Something for working with metal and extreme heat. I think that     it is a shield to go over a setup for rendering ore into molten     metal, and the metal runs out the notch at the bottom.
1923)    Hmm ... a stable for a horse, whose head can poke out over     the "fence" and hobnob with the humans on the outside.
    What is hanging on the door looks to me like a pair of shoes,     perhaps for riding, or perhaps to protect your good shoes while     "mucking out" the horse's output. :-)
1924)    A primitive corkscrew?
1925)    Icons to indicate a gas pump -- perhaps connected with a front     panel display to open the gas cap remotely? Looks like they are     on a liquid crystal display of some sort.
1926)    This appears to be related with military and horses based on     some other things in the photo. I see a horse's bit, at least     two pistol holsters -- both apparently left handed.
    Could it be to hold signal flares?
    Or perhaps sticks of dynamite?
    Now to see what others have suggested.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
On 5/7/2010 1:49 AM, DoN. Nichols wrote:

1921==a collapsible cane for a blind person?

This is partially correct, it is a weapon, for use by the police, and it does have a wrist strap but pushing the button doesn't cause anything to extend.
Rob
Rob H. wrote:

It lulls the criminal by appearing to be a harmless truncheon. Imagine her surprise when she is maced!

That's it! It's a tear gas billy club.
Rob

At one time, my cousin was a Sheriff and had a baton that was somewhat similar. It was an electric baton- the grandfather of a Taser. What I recall in seeing it was that the button was a dummy and that the baton was activated by squeezing the sides.
--
Nonny
On most days,

    Doesn't the button unlock the thing and allow a flick of the wrist (while the button is pressed) to extend it to working length?
    Enjoy,         DoN.

I'm not sure since I didn't push the button (though I was tempted to push it), I just figured the button was for discharging the tear gas, so maybe it does extend. I've seen two of these and both looked like the one in my photos (not extended).
Also, I changed my answer for the second gas pump symbol, the first one, with the arrow, I'm sure indicates the tank location. The second one, without the arrow, the pump hose location does not always correspond with the location of the tank, only on some vehicles.
Rob
On 5/8/2010 11:40 AM, Rob H. wrote:

Nah, you're thinking of the collapsible batons. They are strictly a friction device. Hollow tube held in the "ready position" by an internal spring thingy in the end cap. A flick of the wrist deploys it to full length where it's locked in place by means of the mechanical tapered fit.
The only way to collapse it after that is a hard tap downward on a hard (concrete or marble) surface.

(or a skull?)

    My suggestion was before I knew that it was a tear gas dispenser. Given that, that is just what I would expect it to do, and there is no need to extend as a collapsable baton.

    O.K. Given the appearance in the photos, I was thinking that it was a LCD indicator on the instrument panel, which might indicate where to push a button to open the gas lid from inside -- and perhaps to tell you that the gas lid was still open as you drive off. :-)
    Enjoy,         DoN.
1921: a shock rod (kind of a close-quarters version of the more familiar cattle prod)
1926: a quiver? (that's an ammo clip for a bow) It'd have to be a short bow, maybe a Mongol-horde equestrian model, or a crossbow, for such a short case.

Its old news, but I think I found a good pictire of #1893 from a few weeks back. http://advancedcsi.com/main/images/gallery/580%20loader%20backhoe%20 (boom%20hydraulics).jpg
Its the front hinge from a Case backhoe boom. Its not the same as the model in the picture, but the design is characteristically Case...with the ribbing exposed.
--riverman

http://advancedcsi.com/main/images/gallery/580%20loader%20backhoe%20 (boom%20hydraulics).jpg
--riverman
Thanks! I'll pass this on to the owner of it.
Rob