What is it? Set 335

Page 1 of 2
A new set of photos has been posted:
http://55tools.blogspot.com /
Rob
writes

1921. I think the button on the side releases the mechanism, allowing a telescopic stick to be extended from the end. I have no idea what purpose the stick has.
1925. The first symbol says "there's a petrol pump over there". The second one says "petrol pump". Or "gas pump" for Americans, I guess.
Nick
--
Nick Wedd snipped-for-privacy@maproom.co.uk

1926. I'm guessing map tubes. Maybe for surveyors. Karl

1923 Well house gate to keep kids out. Hide made into a water container. 1924 Corkscrew 1925 Road sign noting gas station ahead. both diesel and unleaded. 1926 case for road flares or dynamite.
Robert

That's not how you carry dynamite. This is:
http://www.myconfinedspace.com/wp-content/uploads/tdomf/119447/tumblr_kvpafuDfzG1qz6f9yo1_1280-700x534.png
Karl
On 5/6/2010 4:54 AM, Rob H. wrote:

1926. Back in the day.... Interesting that this is item 1926, because that is the year that Alfred Dunhill made this item. Country folk had no problem carrying 10'poles around with them for determining the touchability of things, but as they started moving to the cities this became impractical. This is a carrying case for a screw-together 10'pole.

1921- Hey! This is a family site!
1922- stick it over a small fire built around something you want to heat...
1924- bung puller
1925 first pic- fuel door on the left. 2nd pic often means fuel door on the rt.
1926- collapsible monopod
Dave

heat...
You're in the right ballpark, though the inventor had a specific use in mind

Nope
on the rt.
Yes, that's what I was looking for on these symbols.

No correct answers yet for this one, though I like the dynamite holder idea and also the 10' pole holder.
Rob
Rob H. wrote:

If you look closely there are L slots in the ends of the tubes that are visible . Looking at the other items in the photo makes me think it might be a surveyor's rod for use with a transit .
--
Snag
"90 FLHTCU "Strider"
On Thu, 6 May 2010 20:44:33 -0500, Snag wrote:

I Think that you will find that it is not a slot in the end but it is a split all the way down the tube
1922 Early Soviet space capsule.
--
DT

DT wrote:

1922!!!??? That _would_ be an early space capsule...
<Groan>

Rob H. wrote:

1921 - Powered jump rope?
1922 - Resembles my smelting furnace.
1923 - Looks like an above ground root cellar. Although it could also be a well house. Some were used for both. Picket fence would be to keep animals, kids, other critters out of the building while it is open and on display. Cannot make out the device on the door very well. Could be a water skin but hard to say.
1924 - Some type of bung or cap puller?
1925 - Both are fuel symbols, the top one also has an arrow telling the operator which side the fuel fill is on. Usually found on the fuel level gauge in a vehicle. I have also seen them painted on roads and signs telling you that there is a fuel station nearby.
1926 - Looks like an old surveyors tool case. Once held the proverbial "ten foot pole"
--
Steve W.
(\___/)

1922 What they are going to use to cap the oil leak. (G)

1923: Sheep-shearing room/house?
Bill
Rob H. wrote:

1922: An incinerator for sensitive papers?
1924: Thumbscrew for James G. Rossman's Foot Iron for Stage Scenery Braces. Patent 648 531, May 1, 1900. The flange kept the thumbscrew from coming out of the iron and being lost.
1926: Could be a case for a form of bangalore torpedo: several threaded pipe bombs to be screwed together and shoved where a soldier couldn't reach.

Great, thanks for the patent, I had found one for a similar item but yours looks more like the one in the photo on the web site.
There were a couple of tough ones in this set but they've all been answered correctly this week:
Rob
1921. Handle for a prototype light saber/sabre? 1922. 19th century space capsule?
Art
Rob H. wrote:

1922 looks like it might be used to make charcoal . Feed thru the door , pull it out the arch at the bottom .
--
Snag
"90 FLHTCU "Strider"

1922 going put on a limb here, a tyere for melting metal.
Steve R.