What is it? Set 332

Page 2 of 2

I'm sure it could have been used on a steam engine, someone told me they saw one in a fire museum where it was used with an old steam pumper, but with a patent date of 1938 it was invented after steam pumpers were no longer in use.
Rob

We had one that we used for an old Sunbeam coal furnace in our house in the 60's to early 70's. I wonder if it is still in my moms basement? I'll have to take a look when I get a chance.
Jesse wrote:

Are coal ashes powdery like wood ashes? Did you use the special shovel to remove ashes as well as fetch coal?
Coal ashes are not like wood ashes.
While there may be variations, depending on the coal variety and size, in general, coal ash is very unpleasant glassy, gritty, dirty, heavy clinker. The impurities in the coal melt to a glassy slag, that fizzes, bubbles and breaks into small sharp-edged pieces.

On Apr 18, 5:54pm, "Alexander Thesoso"

We had a stoker furnace. It had augers that took the ashes out of the furnace. The ashes would go up and into garbage cans that we would take out and dump on the ash pile. So there was no need to shovel out the furnace manually.
"Rob H." wrote:

1904: Gas Burner 1906: Ash Removal Shovel 1906: Corn Crib
Everything Else: Clueless
Lew

1903)    I believe that I've seen something like this used to crank     awnings out and in at stores. Built around an old brace for a     "brace and bit" style drill set. I don't think that the gearbox     as shown is large enough to handle the torque needed to drive     the usual drill bit which would be used.
    I would be interested in seeing more detail for the "chuck" end,     which I suspect slides onto and off of the awning crank fitting.
1904)    This is a burner for a gas stove. Made of cast iron, and the     flames float just far enough above so the paint is not scorched     off.
1905)    Hmm ... if stainless steel, it could be for hanging beef jerkey     to dry/cure.
    If not stainless steel, then it could be for stretching fabric     as it dries.
1906)    My guess here is that it is for either shoveling coal into     a running fire (perhaps for a locomotive steam engine), or for     shoveling out hot embers and ash for shutting down such a fire.
1907)    For smoke curing meat?
1908)    Looks like a one-way clutch for some kind of flat belt.
    The belt pulled in the direction of the handle will move fairly     freely, but pulled in the opposite direction, it will grip. Not     very strongly, based on the size of the spring, but it will grip     at least.
    Of course, if that is not a spring, perhaps it depends on hand     power to clamp -- perhaps by bending it into the sharp step on     the opposite end from the handle and taper.
    Now to see what others have suggested.
    Enjoy,         DoN.

1903 Angle brace for drilling holes in awkward places.
1904 A gas burner.
1907 corn cribs.
Steve R.
1903 - corner brace 1904 - Gas Burner 1905 - Tenterhooks? 1907 - Larger one looks like a corn crib.
Rob H. wrote:

1903 Window awning tool
1904 Gas stove burner
1905 Tie hanger
1906 Looks like a pooper scooper
1907 Chicken houses
1908 Looks like some kind of message holder

Rob Leatham
1903 - Hand drill, the handle folds down? 1904 - part of an automated bell gong? 1905 - Tie Rack, (except for those sharp points?) 1906 - Flower / Tree planting shovel?     Or used to dig holes for feet to walk in the side of a hill? 1907 - grain / corn storage / driers 1908 - some type of paint brush?