What is it? Set 332

Page 1 of 2
Need some help with the unusual shovel this week:
http://55tools.blogspot.com /
Rob
I don't specifically recognize any of these this week, but ignorance doesn't prevent guessing.
1903 Obviously an angle brace. Looks like it might be useful for sparkplugs in V-8 engines.
1904 Gas burner, such as might be used in a gas range.
1905 Closet organizer, for belts?
1906 Measuring shovel, to put a specific quantity of hops into a beer mash?
1907 Tobacco drying sheds?
1908 Clip to hang something (paintbrush) on a wall for drip drying.

Yes, it's from an old stove.
Rob

1903: Brace for drilling angled holes in handrails for stairs?
1906: Coal shovel
1907: Corn cribs

Could be, I'm still looking for a reference for this tool.

This is correct.
Rob

That's right! I had done some patent searching a couple days ago and didn't find anything but just a few minutes ago I had some luck. The patent says it's for loading coal into a furnace and not making a mess, see line 45:
http://www.google.com/patents/about?id UBAAAAEBAJ&dq!41007
Rob

1903 - corner brace or, specifically, a gear frame brace.
1904 - gas burner head
1905 - necktie rack
1907 - corn crib
1908 - some sort of one-handed clamp or holder

Correct, for use in confined space when there would be interference with a regular brace.
Rob
Rob H. wrote:

1908 is a "giant clothes-pin"!
1907 - Guessing: First one, a chicken coup or sheep shed and the second one, a hog's shed. Seems to me, they would each house some sort of animal, not a product.
Sonny

1905 -- Hanging (animal) hides to dry?
Rob H. wrote:

1904 -- Predecessor of our modern electrical poles which help distribute electricity?
Bill
Hi,
Number 1903 might be a plumbers tool to turn a helix for cleanig stuffed pipes?

Someone else already got them, but I agree that; 1904 some type of gas burner,
1907 corn cribs
Norm
Rob H. wrote:

1906: It could be used to scoop muck and water out of a trough.
It also looks like an improvement over the common tin fire shovel. If you use a little shovel to remove ashes, it's hard to put the ashes into a bucket without raising dust. With 1906, you could carry the ashes outside before dumping them into a bucket. It will hold a generous amount and keep them from spilling or blowing. It looks pretty stable in case you need to put it down.
A little fire shovel is inadequate to carry coals to start a fire. With 1906, you could reach into a stove with a hot fire and carry a generous amount of embers securely.

1903 Hand Drill 1904 Burner 1905 Bacon Hanger http://www.sausagemaker.com/49340andnbsp8prongbaconhanger.aspx 1906 Use for salt or gravel 1907 Used to dry tobacco 1908 Coat hook that folds up
Robert

Perhaps 1906 is a coal shovel used on a steam locomotive? phil

One thing that I forgot to mention about the shovel, there is a metal sleeve on the handle that supposedly makes it easier to rotate and release the coal.
Only the last one was unsolved this week, the answers for this set can be seen here:
Rob

Thank you for running the "game"! Bill

    O.K. The view of the chuck in item (1903) confirms that it is a specialized drill brace, not the awning tool which I thought -- mostly because the chuck end did not look much like the standard chucks on the braces of the period. I guess that this one was smaller in diameter to make it easier to cut in corners or close to walls.
    As for (1908) -- could it not have also been used for shoveling coal in a steam engine (locomotive)? Pretty much the same constraints there as for a furnace.
    Enjoy,         DoN.