What is it? Set 331

Page 2 of 2

oh, lloyd already guessed "refrigerator". how about soaking flax? don't they soak flax prior to drawing it into fibers?
wow. no way. look at what a huge operation "retting" flax can be.
http://www2.fisheries.com/archive/images/photos/dorset3small.jpg
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/sean_quinn/cdun/knock.jpg
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/21534/21534-h/images/img043.jpg
b.w.
Rob H. wrote:

Figs are best propagated by cuttings. They seem to root best if stored cool and moist first. I wonder if this pit was to store plant cuttings for a few days or over the winter.
1901: the size is about right for a wooden bathtub? If the tub were boat-shaped like a modern tub, and wooden, it'd have to be kept moist to not leak, so the basement makes some sense as a location.
Or , it could be for a 'food bank' (earthen storage for root vegetables). Or, a mushroom farm patch. Heck, I don't know.
1902: perhaps a kitchen appliance, to shave ginger or horseradish. Seems a little unlikely as a vegetable peeler, it'd be hard to hand-hold.

1897)    This looks to me to be a thermocouple on the end     of a reel intended to measure temperature at a distance. From     the physical design, and the range on the meter scale, I would     guess that it is for measuring the temperature at different     depths for predicting how deep the fish are likely to be.
    Is there any way to measure the length of cable paid out?
    The presence of the button suggests that there is some active     circuitry in there -- an amplifier to produce sufficient signal     over the relatively short range of the scale.
    The linkage to water comes from the lowest reading being the     freezing point of water.
1898)    Pliers with square drive sockets in one handle (probably to fit     valve stems when the handle is off -- either for security or     because it is being worked upon.
    The spike on the end of each handle I suspect is for fishing out     old washers when they are being replaced.
    Hmm ... perhaps it is for controlling the shutoff valves on     portable acetylene and oxygen tanks, and the points for clearing     clogged nozzles on the torch?
1899)    Hmm ... something long and flat rolled up in the big end, with     a crank to either feed it out or to rewind it.
    It looks as though part of the other end is designed to shear     off the flat something, and the gearing presumably can be set to     feed a precise length. Better contrast and a bit more detail in     the photos might show more.
1900)    Hmm ... possibly a top of a lightning rod?
    Or a holder for a bundle of hay to be burned held aloft?
    It appears to be in a museum, FWIW.
1901)    Cistern -- to store rain water for drinking and cleaning     purposes during periods between rain in dry parts of the     country?
1902)    At a guess it is a plane for adjusting the fit of a door which     has swollen in humid weather without leaving piles of wood     shavings on the floor. It captures the shavings in the housing.
    Or - it could be for taking shavings to sample the quality of     the wood -- perhaps for import duty determination or something     similar.
    Now to see what others have suggested.
    Enjoy,         DoN.