What is it? Set 331

Page 1 of 2
I need some help with the last one in this set:
http://55tools.blogspot.com /
Rob

First one is a Heathkit self-build bathythermometer, which I think they sold as a fish finder. It's a thermometer on a long cable, to measure underwater temperatures and find fish that like to hang around in inversion layers. Also works for submarines.

Correct, the side of it has charts that show which fish can be found at different temperatures.
Rob
1897 is some kind of Heathkit product, clearly for measuring some property in a circuit or electronic device. The pull-out wire gets screwed somewhere in the circuit and the large screw thing in the center of the device gets attached to a ground point or something similar. What its measuring I dont know, it doesn't look like the meter is graduated for ohms, amps or volts (all of which tend to start at zero).
Google doesn't show any matches when I search for Heathkit.
1898 is a pair of pliers :)

As per Andy's post temperature - the meter starts at 32, 32F = 0C

1897 is a Heathkit fisherman's thermometer. The "screw thingy" lower right is the retrieve handle. The meter starts at 32, because mostly you don't care if the water down there is colder than 32... <G>
1898 looks like "bicycle pliers" to me.
1899 looks like an early version of the "BetterPak" packaging tape measuring/wetting/cutting machine.
1900 vaguely looks like what I'd call a British head pike. I can't find one now, but I saw once a drawing of something like that with five heads impaled on the points, for display.
1901 looks like a chiller for pickling crocks, jars, etc... Sort of the residential version of a country "spring house".
1902 draftsman's pencil sharpener.
"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" <lloydspinsidemindspring.com> fired this volley in

BTW... that was called the Heath "Thermo Spotter"
http://www.nostalgickitscentral.com/heath/products/misc/mi104.jpg
LLoyd
1897 - What the other say. lol It does appear to be left handed. The dial may be used to pull the lead back in.
1898 - fish / fishing pliers
1899 - Manual Microfilm roller
1900 - Hay mover
1901 - 1280 air conditioning, allowed cool, moist air to circulate in the house
1902 - Microfilm development container. Or a round hand plane.
Rob H. wrote:

1897 - Fish finder
1898 - Early version of a Leatherman?
1899 - Handheld tape gun for wetted paper tape.
1900 - Weather vane spike for a large tower?
1901 - Final resting place for the "bad visitors"?
1902 - Some type of bench dog?
--
Steve W.
(\___/)

1898 is a pliers, obviously; I imagine that the square holes in one handle enable it to be used as a wrench for taps and/or screw extractors.
1902 - a vegetable slicer perhaps?
|I need some help with the last one in this set: | | http://55tools.blogspot.com /
1900: A device to hold a large animal, on a spit for rotational security during roasting over an open fire; also a device to administer due punishment to the serf who happened to drop the cow into the fire.
pavane
Rob H. wrote:

originally intended to be so long. The rounded near corner suggests to me pushing things in and dragging them out.
I think it was for soaking lumber. It might have been for kyanizing, but I think it was for wood intended to be bent, such as for wheel felloes. Some were made from lumber larger than 2 x 4", which I suppose would require a long soak.
J Burns wrote:

1901 Heater/radiator--wood powered?? : )

No correct answers yet for this one, but this is the closest guess so far.
Rob

Tanning vat?

Good guess! This is correct.
I've never been in the tanning business, but from what I've read, the tanning process produces immensely bad smells. I guess, if you have burned out your nose, having a stinking process going on in the basement of your residence might not bother you. It might, however, bother guests.

that's what i thought too. "no way that's a tanning vat". wow. people in the old days were tough huh?
b.w.

Just a guess but maybe some of the process took place outdoors and the less obnoxious steps used the indoor pit.
Still not sure about the last item, no luck finding a patent for it, the answers for this set can be seen here:
Rob

1901. keeping milk cool.