What is it? Set 330

One of the items in this week's set could be considered to be appropriate for today's date:
http://55tools.blogspot.com /
Rob
Am 01.04.2010 10:50, schrieb Rob H.:

1891
Is a drum-magazine for a sub-machinegun, prob. cal. .45ACP
regards from .de Walter

yep, beat me to it. Lookslike it went on the thompson submachine gun.
Here is a picture to the modern version of that magazine.
http://www.tommygunshop.com/cgi-bin/itemdetail.asp?itmidf1
Expensive!
news.arcor.de wrote:

1892: Pounded by a blacksmith over an anvil to help sever (hot) metal rod?
Bill
1896 From the background, I'll guess this is a Police ID machine, to take mug-shots and finger-prints.

1894 might be one of a number of Appalachian "idiot stick" jokes.
1895 looks like a "sex pendulum" for determining the sex of an unborn child (or chicken egg). To-and-fro, male; circles, female.
<G> LLoyd

Nope, this one actually has a function.

Correct, it was sold as a chicken egg tester but it didn't work as advertised. Basically a quack device, this is the one that I was alluding to in my OP.
Rob

Reading this, as I do, in a text-based newsreader on a text console (yes, the 80s called, they want their internet back), perhaps we need a "what is it?" quiz where we're given the name of the object and then have to work out what it really is. I'll start:
1) "Sex pendulum"
Phil
--
I find the easiest thing to do is to k/f myself and just troll away
-- David Melville on r.a.s.f1

1891- drum magazine- tommygun?
1896- fingerprint comparator.
Dave
1891 Film holder? 1892 not sure 1893 Part of a CAT Earth Moving Tractor? 1894 Early Cotter Pin? 1895 Plumb Bob? 1896 BETA video player for Law enforcement?
Rob H. wrote:

Rob H. wrote:

1894--looks like it could be an ancestor of the common pencil! : )
Bill
Rob H. wrote:

1891 - Thompson 50 round drum magazine. The wing handle is used to wind the internal spring.
1892 -
1893 - Looks like a bogie link from a rubber tracked excavator.
1894 -
1895 -
1896 - photo comparison tool?
--
Steve W.

    Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking as always:
1891)    I believe this to be a drum magazine for a Thompson     submachine gun.
    O.K. Now I'm *sure*. See:
    <http://mikesmachineguns.homestead.com/thompsondrums.html
    and in particular:

http://mikesmachineguns.homestead.com/files/39rd_drum/39_front.JPG
    which suggests that this is a 39 round "XL" magazine, not the     larger 50 round drum.
1892)    Looks like combs for neatly running three wires parallel.
    I've never seen them in person, so I'm just guessing that such     existed somewhen.
1893)    From the size and the color, I suspect that this is a link     for something in earthmoving equipment, perhaps a bulldozer to     allow tilting the blade.
1894)    For running wire into a groove. Made as a field repair part     after seeing the ones used in the factory I suspect.
1895)    The shape looks like a bullet -- perhaps about .30 cal, based     on the scaling from the length. However, this seems too long     for normal muzzle velocities. The cross-drilled tail is to turn     it into a key chain decoration. The material is wrong, though     it might have been a normal bullet which was chrome plated for     the decorative function indicated by the cross-drilling.
1896)    This one looks like a the monitors for a CAD workstation, but     I don't see the keyboard, mouse, or digitizing tablet.
    It looks to have a coin slot, which might suggest that it is     really used for photocopying in a library. Hmm ... perhaps     a microfiche or microfilm reader with the ability to make copies     of individual pages, which would suggest a library for technical     purposes.
    Now to see what others have suggested.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
No verifiable answer yet for the forked tool, I think we have the right general answer for the large yellow part but I haven't been able to nail down its exact use, the rest of them have been answered correctly:
Rob

Maybe 1892 is a predecessor to Starretts' Wire Gauge (model #281, etc). Sorry if this has already been guessed.