What is it? Set 328

I need some assistance identifying two of them this week:

Rob H.
1881 Big soldering-iron tip.

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

1881- punches through an aircraft skin to fight a fire inside the plane 1883- decorative cap for a sewer vent 1884- well dang, found some details on this but got me no closer to figuring out what it is. The4re is a key piece of it not depicted.

Dave

Reply to
Dave__67

1883 Rook for a life size chess set 1884 Pop Rivet Gun

Robert

Reply to
Robert

Good answer, fire hose nozzle is correct.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

half-round pins that extend from the housing. One pin has a small bump or protusion on the end; the pins together are ~1/8 in diameter,minus the bump (at least the ones I have are). When inserted in the gun and the handle is depressed, the pin with the bump slides out in front of the other. Both pins are then inserted through a 1/8" hole drilled through two pieces of sheet metal (say, an airplane skin), and when the handle released the pin retracts and the sheets are clamped together.

I'll post pics when I can find them.

-Zz

Reply to
Zz Yzx

1884 A Cleco fastener setter/remover---used to temporarily fasten the edges of sheet metal together prior to riveting---these kept the pcs in place so they wouldn't get out of alignment while riveting---several were/are used in the aircraft industry---aluminum
Reply to
Jerry Wass
1883 is a Victorian chimney pot.

It works kind of like a venturi to increase the draft in your chimney.

Paul K. Dickman

1881- punches through an aircraft skin to fight a fire inside the plane 1883- decorative cap for a sewer vent 1884- well dang, found some details on this but got me no closer to figuring out what it is. The4re is a key piece of it not depicted.

Dave

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

My guesses:

1879 Soldering tips. 1880 Wood fastener for logs/beams. 1881 I would have said soldering tip, but I saw the correct answer. 1882 Hook/eye with screw broken off. 1883 Space heater. 1884 Rivit fastener gun.

Carl G.

Reply to
Carl G.

1879 - Looks like the pin from some types of racking. I have also seen something similar on sprinklers. 1880 - Double nail? Looks like a way to attach two large beams together without being visible. 1881 - Piercing nozzle. Used to fight fires by punching it through the wall or floor and pumping in the water. Still found in many departments. 1882 - Hose strap. Can be used in many ways. Wrapped around the hose to provide a handle, wrapped around the hose and hooked to a ladder rung to support the hose up the ladder. 1883 - Smokestack off a small boiler or small steam locomotive?

1884 - Looks like the handle off an old caulking gun?

Reply to
Steve W.
1880: shopmade scribe

1883: a chimney pot? Decorative tile pipe that tops off a smoke exhaust, adding to the draft and keeping corrosive smoky products from the nearby masonry. Perhaps also diverts rain from the orifice.

Reply to
whit3rd

1883 made me think of decorative smokestacks on old time steamboats.

Norm

Reply to
Nahmie

11" seems awful long but it looks like a soldering tip for an old blow torch.
Reply to
Nova

Chimney pot is correct, or chimney top, it's from England, c. 1800s.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

No correct answers for this one yet, these things are for use in a particular sport.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

1879) Looks like a tent peg designed to sustain a sideways load on the ring. 1880) Looks to be more decorative than a tool. Perhaps detail photos of the points and the wide part might show something else. 1881) Looks like a propane bottle fired heavy-duty soldering iron. I don't see a flow control knob, so it is either run very hot all the time, or the knob is on the hidden side. 1882) A pull release for some kind of hitch? 1883) A wine bottle chiller? 1884) either a staple gun or a cable tie tightener.

Now to see what others have suggested.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Empty chamber flag?

Reply to
Steve W.

If you would like a picture of a complete 1882 let me know. Have a few at the station. Even have some of the cast iron ones like the one you show.

an updated version.

Reply to
Steve W.

Nope, that's not it.

Reply to
Rob H.

Excellent, I'll pass these links on to the owner of it and will also use them on the answer page.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.