What is it? Set 328

Page 1 of 2
I need some assistance identifying two of them this week:
http://55tools.blogspot.com /
Rob
Add pictures here
βœ–
1881 Big soldering-iron tip.

Add pictures here
βœ–
On Mar 18, 6:16 am, "Alexander Thesoso"

1881- punches through an aircraft skin to fight a fire inside the plane
1883- decorative cap for a sewer vent
1884- well dang, found some details on this but got me no closer to figuring out what it is. The4re is a key piece of it not depicted.
Dave
Add pictures here
βœ–

Good answer, fire hose nozzle is correct.
Rob
Add pictures here
βœ–
1883 is a Victorian chimney pot.
It works kind of like a venturi to increase the draft in your chimney.
Paul K. Dickman

1881- punches through an aircraft skin to fight a fire inside the plane
1883- decorative cap for a sewer vent
1884- well dang, found some details on this but got me no closer to figuring out what it is. The4re is a key piece of it not depicted.
Dave
Add pictures here
βœ–

1883 Rook for a life size chess set
1884 Pop Rivet Gun
Robert
Add pictures here
βœ–

1884 is a "Clicko" gun. A Clicko is clamp consisting of two half-round pins that extend from the housing. One pin has a small bump or protusion on the end; the pins together are ~1/8 in diameter,minus the bump (at least the ones I have are). When inserted in the gun and the handle is depressed, the pin with the bump slides out in front of the other. Both pins are then inserted through a 1/8" hole drilled through two pieces of sheet metal (say, an airplane skin), and when the handle released the pin retracts and the sheets are clamped together.
I'll post pics when I can find them.
-Zz
Add pictures here
βœ–
Zz Yzx wrote:

11" seems awful long but it looks like a soldering tip for an old blow torch.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
Rob H. wrote:

edges of sheet metal together prior to riveting---these kept the pcs in place so they wouldn't get out of alignment while riveting---several were/are used in the aircraft industry---aluminum
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 3/18/2010 7:30 AM, Jerry Wass wrote:

Whoops. I didn't see that you replied before I did.
Your answer. :)
--Winston
Add pictures here
βœ–

My guesses:
1879 Soldering tips. 1880 Wood fastener for logs/beams. 1881 I would have said soldering tip, but I saw the correct answer. 1882 Hook/eye with screw broken off. 1883 Space heater. 1884 Rivit fastener gun.
Carl G.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Rob H. wrote:

1879 - Looks like the pin from some types of racking. I have also seen something similar on sprinklers.
1880 - Double nail? Looks like a way to attach two large beams together without being visible.
1881 - Piercing nozzle. Used to fight fires by punching it through the wall or floor and pumping in the water. Still found in many departments.
1882 - Hose strap. Can be used in many ways. Wrapped around the hose to provide a handle, wrapped around the hose and hooked to a ladder rung to support the hose up the ladder.
1883 - Smokestack off a small boiler or small steam locomotive?
1884 - Looks like the handle off an old caulking gun?
--
Steve W.

Add pictures here
βœ–

1883 made me think of decorative smokestacks on old time steamboats.
Norm
Add pictures here
βœ–

No correct answers for this one yet, these things are for use in a particular sport.
Rob
Add pictures here
βœ–
Rob H. wrote:

Empty chamber flag?
--
Steve W.

Add pictures here
βœ–

Nope, that's not it.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Rob H. wrote:

If you would like a picture of a complete 1882 let me know. Have a few at the station. Even have some of the cast iron ones like the one you show.
http://www.cascadefire.com/images/50310.jpg
http://www.edarley.com/cat_img/M684_800.jpg
Is an updated version.
--
Steve W.

Add pictures here
βœ–

Excellent, I'll pass these links on to the owner of it and will also use them on the answer page.
Rob
Add pictures here
βœ–
Rob H. wrote:

I noticed you said they found it in a field? Sort of a strange place to find that, but they have been around a long time. Maybe a grass fire or a house on the land years ago.
--
Steve W.

Add pictures here
βœ–

Yes, I don't think they'll ever find out how it got there but at least now they know what it is, thanks to everyone who answered this one.
Four of the six have been identified this week, still not sure about the second item, the answers for this set can be seen here:
Hope everyone enjoys the first weekend of Spring!
Rob
Add pictures here
βœ–