What is it? Set 323

I need some help identifying two of the items in this set:

Rob H.

Nothing but guesses:

1841 The surface finish on the sphere doesn't seem good enough for it to be a mechanical or optical reference. I'll guess that it is a magnetic compensation device for a magnetic compass or binnacle.

1851 Flower arrangement base? Stick the stems into the slots around the loop.

1852 Milking stool?

1853 Quill Pen tipping device? Industrialized replacement for a pen-knife.

1854 Saddle or core of a saddle?

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso
1849: ball scupper for draining the deck of a boat. When there is water on the deck, the ball floats opening the scupper and letting the water drain overboard.

Scupper: A drain or spout allowing water on the deck of a vessel to flow overboard.

Northe

Reply to
Northe

1850- fusible link chain for a gravity-powered fire door?

Dave

Reply to
Dave__67

I think 1854 is a pack saddle .

Reply to
Snag

1852: I suspect that the pairs of wheels would fit on the inside and outside of a certain class of railroad track. From the diagram it appears it was design to be towed. From the seat, it appears it wasn't designed to be towed too fast! ; )

Bill

Reply to
Bill

1851 looks like some kind of heating element. Probably for a small hot plate. 1854 might be a saddle cradle. When you take the saddle off your horse you throw it over this form. Big ??? on the others

DL

Reply to
TwoGuns

And its "wings" allow you to board from either side of the track.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

This answer is correct.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

1849. wondering if it's from that "visible gas pump" you put up a couple weeks ago. check valve. would a 2 1/2 inch steel ball be too heavy? 1852. horse drawn corn cutter. (is it inappropriate to post links?)
William Wixon

semicircle, i think it must have a mating forward mounted crescent so the front wheels can pivot around for sharp turns. as it is now one side or the other of the axle is going to pop out just as soon as there's any turning. i can't see how that front wheel can turn even a 1/2 degree without some sort of mating forward cast iron slot thing for the ball ends of the axle to slide around in. if the front wheels don't turn why bother with that semicircular cast iron part? it also looks like there are bolt/screw holes in the casting on the front axle near where the horse hitch pivot points are, looks like some wood part used to be bolted/screwed onto it. a cup holder?

Reply to
William Wixon

oh, oops, sorry for the multiple posts. i see from the photos in the link i posted, it's got semicircular rods that slide within the semicircular cast iron part so it can turn.

b.w.

Reply to
William Wixon

Nope, it's not part of a gas pump.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

1849) I would like to have a view at the underside of the assembly.

It looks like a form of check valve (one way flow), but there needs to be some way to mount it in the flow path. This would either be with a pipe fitting on the underside, or perhaps the OD of the bronze disc captured against the wall of the container with a gasket sealing it.

I sort of expect pipe threads on the underside which the knurling on the OD of the bronze disk would allow screwing on and/or off -- but it might be to simply make it easier to grasp it when lifting free of the mounting point.

I think that I see a nut on the end of the nearest branch of the cage on the underside.

1850) Could it be a surveyor's measurement chain? I've never seen one -- just read about them, so it could look like this. 1851) Some sort of strainer gasket which clips over the mouth of something like a Mason jar or a teapot? 1852) Perhaps an equivalent for a mechanic's creeper for working under horse-drawn wagons? The "wings" could be for resting tools.

Or -- based on the really long bandsaw blade coiled up in the background, a cart for moving lumber through a sawmill?

1853) It sort of looks like an end cutting wire stripper, but not quite.

It appears to be for trimming the end of small wood splints at a 45 degree angle -- perhaps to make some form of scraper?

But it also appears to be an exhibit in a museum, based on how it is mounted tot he background. :-)

1854) This looks like a pack saddle -- perhaps for a burro (donkey) instead of a horse. It is for loading supplies onto the critter, not people. The gap avoids wear on the beast's backbone ridge.

A tough set this week.

Now to see what others have suggested.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

1849. I recall seeing one of these back in the early '60's. It was screwed onto the end of a large fabric hose, much like a fireman's hose. The other end of the hose wasn't attached to anything. I assumed it was to provide a circular spray pattern to the water but I never knew for sure. Art
Reply to
Artemus

1849 - This looks very much like a ball valve, such as might be used in a pump. I don't know why such a valve would be knurled so much around the outside, though; although knurling can make for a tighter press fit, I'm not sure it would do anything good for the air or water tightness of the valve. Likewise, the gaps around the cage bars where they go through the base plate would seem to be problematic. 1850 - Operator chain/rope for an awning or venetian blinds, perhaps? Pulling on one rope would open, the other would close. 1851 - Possibly, this was intended to hold the mouth of a drawstring bag open, say for stitching a seam on the bag or filling it. The hooks could engage in the holes for the drawstring, and then by flipping them over the spring part it would be held open. 1852 - Amusement ride car? 1853 - It's a number 2...something. The blade on the lower jaw seems to be designed to cut whatever is in the tube part at the front at a specific angle. Maybe it's a wire stripper of some manner? 1854 - Seat (upside-down in the picture) from a cart or wagon? Rocking footrest (also upside-down)?
Reply to
Andrew Erickson

1852 - Some form of harvester/cutter 1854 - Pack saddle
Reply to
Michael Koblic

1849 could be a safety valve from a very old industrial pressure cooker. These have no spring.

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.

1853: Wild guess but could be a reed cutter for wind instruments?
Reply to
Periproct

OK, I've looked @ some of the other answers, but I'll drop my first impression guesses.

1849 - my first thought was some type of pressure regulator. 1852 - Obviously horse drawn, from looking @ other pieces in picture, also the drawing has a "whiffle-tree" for single horse hookup. First thought was a planters unit, with operator having "sets" on each side, and putting them in ground in the front opening. Second though, some type of horse drawn cutter, as the angled pieces labelled "8" in the drawing look like they may be sharp edged, unit being pulled between rows and cutting off whatever grows on each side. 1853 - is that "caning" material in the cutter? Looks like the guide brings the material in @ an angle, and there is a stop so it doesn't cut very deep. Maybe for putting a "point" on caning so it is easier to thread? 1854 - I'll agree with someone else, looks like a pack saddle.

Norm

Reply to
Nahmie