What is it? Set 321

Page 3 of 3

That's not it, I'll give a better hint, it was used by a shoemaker.
Rob

Oh, one more one more. <g> A last-maker's rasp?
--
Ed Huntress

Nope, it's for use on small pieces of wood.
Rob

Now I'm in for a dollar and can't give up. <g> Shaping heels?
--
Ed Huntress

You're in the right area but it's not for shaping heels.

I admire your patience, Rob. <g> However, I'll make one last guess: A rasp for shaping shoe trees?
Now I yield for good on this one. I'm just guessing, and I should just let someone who has a reasonable idea carry on.
--
Ed Huntress

I'll go ahead and give the answer, wood pegs were used to attach the heel, the pegs would stick up above the insole and this tool was used to cut off and smooth the end of the peg. Hard to guess unless you know how shoes used to be constructed, I'll have some photos of the pegs on the answer page.
Rob
Rob H. wrote:

How about for helping to clean off your shoes before you come into the house (after a hard day working on the cattle or horse ranch)...
Bill

1837 clock pendulum made to resemble a more expensive mercury filled type.
Steve R.

1839 - used for skimming leaves from the surface of a swimming pool?
John

1839
A filing cabinet, move the junk from in front of it and it can be used to store important papers in some semblance of order.
basilisk

1839: Another ice tool. This one is used to skim the slush and ice out of ice-fishing holes.
John Martin
Absolutely no background, but I think that you have nailed that one. Perfect for the job.