What is it? Set 321

Page 2 of 3
Robert Bonomi wrote:

There are no 1/2" or 5/32" Phone plugs. They were made in .25" .206 " .141" .125" 3/32" & .101".
--
Greed is the root of all eBay.

Bill wrote:

It appears to have a user-friendly grip. Is item #1837 an ancestor of the modern ball-point pen?
Bill

1837 looks like a door horn. you pull the top handle upwards, then release to make a moo sound
I will try 1837 compensating weight for pedulum clock. When the iron support rods warmed up the mercury in the container would compensate. 1938 Do not know, but I want one. 1839 For collecting money, be it in a church or toll booth. 1840 Float or file for horse' teeth 1841 newer style of float 1842 Not a clue

1837)    This looks like a mercury-bob pendulum for a mantel clock.     (Too small for a grandfather clock.) The different thermal     coefficient of expansion between the steel, brass, and mercury     tended to cancel out change in frequency of the pendulum.
1838)    I don't know what it is -- but I *do* know which end of that I     don't want to be on. :-)
    I guess that it might be for penetrating the surface of     something -- if the angle of the handle were different, I would     think that it was for aerating soil for plants.
    Hmm ... perhaps for breaking up asphalt or something similar?
1839)    Looks as though it is for scooping out food from deep frying.
    I think that the bowl is aluminum. If it were a higher melting     point alloy, I would consider it for skimming dross from metal     melts for casting.
1840)    It looks as though it had once been a wood rasp with an     interesting handle -- but it iis certainly too dull to be     useful for that purpose now.
1841)    Actually -- quite similar to 1840, except that the file part is     replaceable when it dulls. Could both of these have come from     the same collection by any chance?
1842)    This appears to me to be a radio transmitter for an RF link     from a musical instrument to the sound reenforcement (PA)     system, to allow the musician to play without being tethered by a     wire to the mix board. It has a battery inside, and must be     turned on just prior to plugging into the instrument. At a     guess, it would work with accordions, or electric guitars.     I'm not sure whether the form factor would work with many other     instruments.
    Now to see what others have suggested.
    Enjoy,         DoN.

I would venture to say that 1838 is a tool designed to move blocks of ice from a frozen pond at the time that ice was collected from frozen ponds and kept for future use. The tool would allow floating blocks to be stabbed and pulled onto the ice, or moved around with the other end of the tool.
At least, I think so.
Pierre

I would venture to say that 1838 is a tool designed to move blocks of ice from a frozen pond at the time that ice was collected from frozen ponds and kept for future use. The tool would allow floating blocks to be stabbed and pulled onto the ice, or moved around with the other end of the tool.
At least, I think so.
Pierre
You stole my thunder. It definitely looks like some sort of ice tool.
Steve
Steve B wrote:

Come on out to Millers Mills, Valentines day and you can USE ice harvesting tools.
http://millersmillsny.com /
--
Steve W.

Correct, it's a tool for use on an ice farm.
Thanks to everyone who helped answer the guitar transmitter, still not sure about the tool with the long handle. The rest of the answers can be seen here:
Rob

The first picture below 1840 identifies a whole handful of tools found in my father's stuff. Since he was not a shoemaker, I'm going to have to guess they were the result of some antiquing. Still got a few that are puzzling me!
said:

I just updated the answer page to say that the ten similar looking tools that are lined up vertically are burnishers for use on the edge of a shoe sole. Feel free to send me some photos of your unidentified tools, I'd be happy to take a look at them and possibly include them on the web site.
Rob

WAG at 1840 Farriers Rasp?

No, but the person who would have used it was in a trade that was slightly related to a farrier (not blacksmith).
Rob

My guesses, rather lacking in actual knowledge this time around...
1837 - Lamp, possibly? Spinning thingy? It's quite strange looking to me, really.
1838 - Some sort of a material handling tool; I'm guessing for wood at a sawmill or pulpmill, although it could perhaps be to manipulate ice blocks at an ice house. (Most of the movies and pictures I've seen of ice harvests have just used pointy sticks or a near equivalent, though.)
1839 - Fish scoop of some sort?
1840 - Rasp, possibly for use in timber framing?
1841 - Fancier, more modern, adjustable, and probably less effective version of 1840?
1842 - Almost certainly either a radio transmitter or receiver for use in a (presumably short distance) wireless audio link; I rather fancy it's a transmitter, for use with an electric guitar, but that's mostly a guess. Looks possibly homemade. Disassembly (presumably with the one screw) and inspection by a local electronics guru would probably reveal what there is to be revealed...including, possibly, some dead leaking batteries.
Now to read other ideas....
--
Andrew Erickson

1837: a clock (or similar device) pendulum
1838: scary
1839: I was thinking some sort of coal scuttle (like a bed warmer), but there's no lid. so that leaves draining extremely hot spaghetti at arms reach...or something--
1840: some sort of branding iron?
1841: a callous/dead-skin scraper for feet?
1842: some sort of short-range RF-to-Audio transducer. Whether receiver or transmitter, can't say. No label on the front of it? (this is obviously the "working back panel") If pressed, I would say "receiver" for a remote mic that would plug into a camera before the era of what the TV types call electronic news gathering( say, 1970s, news camera audio receiver) ...or similar receiver for a PA system.

1840 - A wood rasp, used for the inside of a bowl, spoon, or other concave surfaces.
John

It is for use on wood but not for these purposes.
Rob

A side float? But if it is, it looks like it was never sharpened.
--
Ed Huntress

Nope, it's used with wood but the user wasn't really what I would call a woodworker.

I hate to guess, but one last one: A shredder for making wood excelsior? (A Hail-Mary pass, because machines for making the stuff were around by the 1860s.)
--
Ed Huntress