What is it? Set 318

I need help identifying two of the items this week:

Rob H.

1819: Looks like it lies flat, and something is placed on top, and heat can be applied around it's periphery. That might be useful for shaping/bending the wood forming the outermost edge of a wagon wheel. So I'll guess a pattern for a wagon wheel.

Bill

Reply to
Bill
1822 Engine speed regulator... Controls throttle... flyballs move shaft that controls input.

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

1822: Guess: An adaptor to convert steam pressure into (pulley) rotary power? Darn awesome looking device!!! : )

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Would throwing item 1824 over the midsection of a horse make it more comfortable to ride? I was born in the city, what do I know :)

Bill

Reply to
Bill

1821 is a bezel or watch crystal compressor. Also used in a slightly modified form by a company I know as a gripper for tensile/compressive and torsional testing of products.
Reply to
David Billington

# 1821 is a sex toy.

Reply to
Roy Smith

1824 - If I recall correctly, is a "game holder". When hunting, this is hung over your belt, and any game you kill can be carried by putting the feet in the wire fixtures,

Norm

Reply to
Nahmie

David Billington

1823 looks like some kind of scorp, but it's too weak to be a cooper's scorp, and too dull, besides. Most one-handled scorps are small and very strong. Maybe it's for use on something soft.
Reply to
Ed Huntress

Cheese, perhaps?

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Aha! An interesting thought.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I'm always delighted to find something (or some word) that is new to me. I had never heard of the word "scorp". So... I did a google on scorp, and found only S-corp[oration] references. I dragged out my Chambers [British dictionary, used by crossword freaks.], found scorper = scauper. I dug out my OED, and found 2 references to scorp; scoff & a native of Gibraltar. So I went back and googled 'cooper's scorp' and found:

've got a new word :)

But... I still find it hard to believe that 1823 is one. :)

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

What? You never made barrels? People who make old-style wooden chairs use them for carving the hollows in the seats. And little ones are used for some kinds of carving, especially for bowls and spoons. I have a couple from my family's panel-carving business, and they're around 130 years old.

I'm sure you're right that 1823 isn't a woodworking scorp. Maybe it's used for something else. And maybe they don't call it a scorp in that business, whatever it may be.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Googling scorp + tool works. If you like the funky tool words, woodworking has bruzz and spud and arris is always useful.

RicodJour

There are no correct guesses for this tool yet so I'll give a clue - it's typically used outdoors.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

A debarker? For trees, not dogs.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Nope, it's not for use on trees.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

I'd say it was stripping hair off of hides, except I think the tools for that which I've seen, which were actually curved drawknives, always had two handles. You used them with the hide slung over a horizontal post.

Could it have been for fleshing hides?

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Butter, maybe. Cheese is generally firm and cut with a two handled length of wire.

Reply to
LDosser