What is it? Set 317

I think your analysis of this one is correct. Someone sent me this photo that they had shot at a museum, after I posted it I found out that the larger piece is original but the rope and other piece were added for display.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

Still is the bottom rung of the ladder. Although the newer chokers are easier with the open latch. But it's still real easy to lose a finger or get hit with a loose butt.

I agree with you that rope wouldn't handle the strain. That's why I said it looked like a prop in my first post.

Reply to
Steve W.

"Rob H." wrote

AHA!! I knew I was right.

Of course, working in a cable shop and actually making these things helped a little.

Thanks for geting back to me on this Rob.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Those chokers don't stay on the logs all the time and when they become undone or break, human flesh is often hit with devestating results.

Same here. I knew that a rope would hold up for about two seconds in the woods, so I guessed a home made cattle noose made with a recycled part. It never occurred to me that it was a display. The rope is what threw me off.

Why would they display it in an inaccurate manner?

Reply to
Lee Michaels

There are a LOT of items on display in museums that are incorrect. Many times it's simply because they went on the word of the donor, who may have used the item for something entirely different than what it was designed/intended for. You see it a lot at farm machinery displays and antique shops.

Reply to
Steve W.

Not defending this rope, but I seem to remember rope chokers being used in helicopter logging in the TV series "Ax Men". Can't find any photos, though. Kerry (son of two loggers)

Reply to
Kerry Montgomery

The young men doing this were called chokermen here. Most of the chokers I have seen just had a steel eye spliced into the ends. I can't imagine that flimsy thing holding a real tree, like the ones we have here in British Columbia!

I have seen them in use here, one uncle owned a small logging company when I was young. He took me to see his last steam donkey engine working when I was

5 years old!

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.