What is it? Set 316

I'll be back to the usual Thursday posting next week.

Rob H.

1807 - Fancy sharpener?

1808 - Looks like a lid lifter for use over a fire.

1809 - Some type of Foley machine?

1810 - Home brew squid catcher? Scratcher for those "hidden" areas?

1811 - One of those items that makes you say "How'd they do that"

1812 -

Reply to
Steve W.

Good ones this week.

1807 This vaguely resembles a cigarette making machine I've seen.

1810 In view of the flue cleaning machine last week, I'll guess this does a similar job; cleaning a round flue pipe.

1811 Some sort of clamp. Missing the symmetric but LH threaded piece. It is hard to see how one would tighten a screw in the hole nearest the threaded rod. Strange non-right angle suggests you don't simply screw in wood blocks to make a clamp. I'd guess it is used in some barrel or pail making art.

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

1807 - pencil sharpener. The window lets you see when the body is full of shavings. 1808 - a thingy (technical term) for hanging cooking pots over a fire? 1810 - a wire fence, before it has been stretched by one of the many wire fence stretchers? A back scratcher for someone with an insufferable itch? More likely, a flue cleaner? 1811 - the handled threaded rod is clearly the same as what makes up the tightening mechanism for a set of wooden hand screw clamps. I'll bet that the angled rider on the thread can slide along the threads, only locking down when under pressure. This makes it a quick adjuster for the impatient clamper. My woodworking vice uses the same mechanism for quick adjustment as this.

John

Reply to
sawdust

1807 - fishing reel

1809 - a drum carder for fiber of some sort, possibly cotton.

Reply to
LDosser

1808 - Campfire coffee pot pourer. The pot hangs from the "S" hook which hangs on the tripod or spit bar. The long piece at the short side of the main bar attaches to a loop built into large camping coffee pots near the bottom opposite the spout side. Pulling the other end of the bar tilts the pot so the coffee pours into the cup. (or the fire if one's hands are unsteady:)
Reply to
John Husvar

1809: Pea sheller?

1810: Anti-pigeon wire?

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

1807. razor blade sharpener.
seems like something to do with a fireplace. 1809. theatrical sound effects device. trying to guess what sound, can't. horses hooves? a crowd of people walking? 1810. chimney cleaner. 1811. dunno 1812. dunno
Reply to
William Wixon

1807 might be some kind of fishing reel. But pencil sharpener sounds good too. DL
Reply to
TwoGuns

This is correct, I thought it might be a difficult one but several people have already got it right, there must be a number of campers here.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

Surprised no one got 1812. It is a tool to unlock a stuck garbage disposal. Warren

Reply to
WW

No "camper" but spring/fall roundup brings 'em out for a few days twice a year on the ranches in the panhandle country nearby.... :)

--

Reply to
dpb

It does look similar to a disposal wrench but the item on my site is not a tool and would not have been found at a hardware store.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

1809: looks like a rain/storm sound effect for movies and/or radio
Reply to
Ed Edelenbos

1809 Storm machine.

From radio or vaudeville. The slatted drum with the canvas was for wind, the wire drum filled with beans or something like it, was rain.

Reply to
Stuart Wheaton

O.K. Again, I'm missing the original post. Did your "From: " address change? I've got filtering killing off cross-posted articles past a certain number of newsgroups, and an exception adding to the score of Rob H.'s postings so I should see these -- but if the "From: " address has changed, I will no longer see these. Changes in the "Subject: " format can also lose some of my work-arounds.

article in this thread).

It might be -- perhaps a portable one -- or it might be something else. My guess for the "something else" is a tool to turn a bar of soap into soap flakes.

Or for supporting a pot or kettle over the fire and adjusting the height.

??? -- not familiar with that term. Before branching off to look that term up, I'll guess that it is for winding up the output of a loom (probably a hand operated one, not a power one) for something like carpet runners for stairs, or a really long scarf.

Hmm ... nothing in a quick search which looks like that.

If the wire on the lower drum were finer, it might have been usable for drying matte finish photographic paper. But that would not explain the upper paddle-wheel type drum.

Perhaps one of the things used by police to stop a runaway car by puncturing the tires producing all flats?

Nope. It is a part of a parallel jaw clamp -- one for woodworking, I think. Note that the thread of the screw is left-hand on one half and right-hand on the other. There would be a similar piece (nut) on the other half, and as you rotate the handle, the two clamp bars would move together or apart at about twice the rate they would with only a single thread and nut.

Add a second screw, handle and pair of nuts, and you can rotate the two handles with the parallel bars of the clamp as though you were cranking a pair of cranks, and the jaws would move together or apart maintaining a parallel orientation. By rotating only one screw, you can adjust the parallel orientation to slightly angled instead.

Aha -- one with no pre-existing guess here. Hmm ... I can't really come up with a good guess either. :-) Perhaps some kind of exercise item?

Now to see what others have suggested.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

1807 - Maybe an art-decoish fish pole reel, that doesn't look overly practical (how does one untangle the line) 1808 - Sign hanger for a store wall? 1809 - Possibly a noise making machine (for theatrical sound effects before the era of recorded sounds)--the top crank causing the slats to slap, with various pressures adjustable by the pin mechanism at the bottom, and the lower crank revolving balls or something in the screened wheel (or perhaps rotating the screen against the canvas piece). Possibly this would be for horse or rain effects? 1810 - Pipe cleaning doohicky? 1811 - Strange beast; the rod is threaded in a different direction where the 'A1' casting is than the two ends, which suggests that it moves the A1 opposite something that's not shown. Maybe this is a saw set for a large saw? 1812 - Hand exerciser, used like bicycle pedals?
Reply to
Andrew Erickson

I haven't changed my 'from' address, so I don't know what the problem could be.

I think this is correct, a few other people have also supplied this answer.

Good guess! It's for isometric exercises.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

Foley is the art of sound effects used on films, radio, TV and whatever. Named after Jack Foley.

Shows a simpler version of the machine shown.

Reply to
Steve W.

had been causing multiple repetitions of the contents, so I spent the evening eliminating duplicates -- after considering writing a program for the purpose with over 1300 entries in it pre-cleaning. We'll see what happens next week. (And I think that I will write a program to handle the cleanup for next time. :-)

Probably everyone who has handled and/or used such clamps. :-) Lots from the rec.woodworking side, some from the rec.crafts.metalworking side (the machninists clamps don't have the left-hand screw thread but they are much smaller and with a lot less travel. Not sure how many of the rec.puzzles newsgroup have encountered them -- other than perhaps those who also follow one of the other two newsgroups. :-)

Mostly from the angle of the ends -- positioned so forces at right angles to the two handles would pass through the center.

Thanks, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols