What is it? Set 315

Page 1 of 2
A new set of items has been posted:
http://55tools.blogspot.com /
Rob
1804 A gaslight lighting fixture. Right end screws on to gas pipe in wall, left end, pointing up, goes in nice glass diffuser/shade.
1805 Guess: Slot machine. Used in a saloon. Spin and drop in coin, get 1, 2 or 3 drinks or cigars.
1806 Guess: Reloader for a removable cylinder from a cap and ball revolver.

Hmm ... for whatever reason I did not get the original posting, so I'll have to reply to this -- the first that I have seen, and comment on my opinions to this set of suggestions, since I can't start without seeing at least these.
1801)    Looks like a tool for rotating a cylindrical part of something,     probably a typewriter or a TeleType.
1802)    This one looks like it is intended to be cast into concrete to     provide an anchor point which will survive a fairly strong pull.
    "rebar" bent in several places, so it won't pull out of the     concrete.
1803)    Looks like something worn on a thumb or finger to hook strands     of thread, string, or wire in some kind of assembly operation.
    Perhaps for cable lacing?

    I agree with the above for (1804).

    Hmm ... my guess for this is that it is an early coin acceptor     for a bus or trolley driver.

    And for this -- my thought is that it is either a sizer for cast     bullets of three different calibers, or perhaps for loading shot     into a shotgun shell.
    But I prefer the first, with the "Push" button to kick the sized     bullet back up where you can grip it.
    The removable cylinder suggestion does not seem right with the     visible difference in size for the first two holes, and a     presumable difference in the third one as well.
    Enjoy,         DoN.

1801 - A Dipstick of some sort, possibly broken/shortened? 1802 - Looks like it might be used to pick up or move something hot. Does the handle pull up and spread the bent wirey bits apart?? 1803 - A Cockfighting spur? 1806 - An old Pill Press?
Y.

This was an advertising give-away, the text on it is not related to its use but it would have been used indoors.
Rob
1801 oil can opener 1802 rope maker, industrial 1803 need more pictures 1804 what the other guy thinks, gas lamp? 1805 not sure 1806 Muzzle loader
Rob H. wrote:

I don't have the material for which it's used figured out, but 1802 is made to grab and bunch together some loose (and apparently fibrous) substance (maybe like cotton lint, feathers, wool).
The tines expand outward when the bottom plate is pulled up toward the top plate, but the way they're formed, they still overlap enough to capture and pull together whatever's between them when they're contracted again.
Maybe it's for stuffing feathers in pillow cases.
LLoyd
"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" <lloydspinsidemindspring.com> fired this volley in

Technically, the tines expand when the ring is pulled, so I guess it could be used to spread something open and hold it that way so long as there's a pull on it.
LLoyd

Question about 1801: is that the entire object? It's hard to tell from the photo, but the bottom of it looks jagged, as if it were broken off from a larger piece of something. If so, then my guess would be a dipstick for measuring fluid level in some kind of tank or sump.
1802 looks like a large version of a kitchen whisk. Maybe part of an industrial butter churn? Or a cake batter mixer?
1803 looks like some variation on a fid or sailmaker's palm.
1804 is almost certainly a gas lamp or burner. The heart-shaped thing on the lower right is the valve handle, it pivot n the piece immediately to the left o that, and you see the air shutter on the burner assembly. The lower-left of the image is "up".

I think I saw something similar to #1803 many years ago when a wayward uncle took me to a cock fight back in the 1950's. They put these around the legs of the fighting roosters. They are very nasty and the guys handling the roosters had to be very careful when they tried to grab the winner. Sometimes there wasn't a winner because both roosters died. Have the times changed?
DL

Apparently the times haven't changes, it is indeed a cock fighting spur.
Rob
"Rob H." <> wrote in message >A new set of items has been posted:

1802 is easy. It's a chimney cleaner. Used to remove built up creosote. No doubt in my mind. I've used one of these _many_ times. They don't do a good job on removing the hard glass like creosote so I came up with my own design. phil kangas

This answer is correct.
Rob
Rob H. wrote:

1801 - Looks like a dipstick for a transfer pump.
1802 - Chimney cleaner.
1803 - nasty looking back scratcher?
1804 - Looks like a modified gas burner, maybe for glass work?. The tip isn't original judging by the knurling on it compared to the rest of the fixture.
1805 - Version of a Plinko machine?
1806 - I have seen one of these. Didn't know what it was then either ;-)
--
Steve W.

My guesses for this week:
1801 - Promotional dipstick for...umm..some piece of farm equipment? oil laps with opaque founts?
1802 - Chimney flue cleaning apparatus, intended to work on the pull stroke?
1803 - Neat looking sail mending kit?
1804 - I'm pretty sure this is a wall-mounted swing arm gas light, probably missing a mantle and/or shade.
1805 - Gambling (or perhaps more likely, prize merchandizing) game machine; insert coin at the top, and whatever slot it falls in on the (presumably spinning) wheel thingy determines the payout or prize somehow.
1806 - Manual pill making machine (for medicinal or other related uses)
--
Andrew Erickson

It would be almost impossible to guess this answer so I'll give a hint, I would place it in the category of home security.
Rob

Opening locked interior doors.

Nope, that's not it.
Rob

    Tensioning tool for picking locks?
    Enjoy,         DoN.
With this hint:

I'll guess: Keyhole blocker. Hang on a doorknob. It hangs in front of an old fashioned keyhole to prevent someone from peeking through.