What is it? Set 313

This week's set has been posted:

Rob H.
1789 Is clearly used to divide a line into from 2 to 10 equal segments.

1790 Guess: Leather creasing press.

1791 Curling Stone.

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

1790 is what we used to use for cutting asbestos shingles.

Regards,

Tom Watson

Tom Watson

1789: Divider, used for marking equal widths across a board. The device can split a width into anything from 2 to 10 equal pieces. 1790: A nutcracker, for really tough nuts? Ok, this may not have been the generally intended use for the pictured hardware. 1791: Curling stone in a wooden box.

1792: The back of a bus or train seat, showing a holder for schedules.

1793: Ice fishing apparatus (a trap or tip up?) designed to trip when a fish hits your line.

John

Reply to
sawdust

Or for making parallel lines on a cake? lol. I would like to have one to use as a rake when motorcycle camping to get the ground smooth under my tent!

Reply to
Stupendous Man
1790: An asbestos shingle cutter.

1791: A curling stone eh.

1792: A protective cover for the cutting edge of an axe.
Reply to
Jesse

because there is a curling rink right down the street from me.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

1789 - Tool for marking "box joints"?

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Yes, text on it stated exactly that.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

1789 - Scale divider.

1790 - OLD Manual shear.

1791 - Kind of looks like the top of a curling stone.

1792 -

1793 - Riot shield.

1794 -

Reply to
Steve W.

Reply to
Ray Field

metalwork when making aircraft. You place marks for the end two rivet holes, and then stretch it so the desired number of rivet holes is represented by the proper number of points, and drag it through layout die to set where to drill the holes. (Actually a tool which I would like to own. :-)

1790) Either a sheet metal shear, or a machine to punch a set number of holes. Nice and rigid, in any case.

It looks as though it is also set up to punch individual holes using the hook-shaped part on the left in the photo.

1791) A curling stone. Probably from Canada. 1792) Weird. Sort of like a frog for a sword scabbard.

Sort of like a protective edge for a hatchet or axe blade.

Sort of like something to be gripped and the edge pounded into something.

Not really sure. It is hard to tell which part is metal and which is leather, given the coloration of both, though some decorative and protective metal is obviousl

1793) This looks to me like a riot shield with what looks like an electronic flash mounted to it -- which suggests perhaps a camera on the other edge.

Not sure how many people would have seen these -- other than in news footage.

1794) Another strange beastie.

If the lever were not so skinny, I would think that it is a lever operated punch, but this does not look solid enough for that, so perhaps it is something which is tripped to pop up a warning flag on the end of the long whip like lever. Perhaps tripped by a wire, or a shot when used on a target range, or something similar.

Now to see what others have suggested.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Apparently submitted by a 7 inch tall visitor.

Reply to
Roy Smith

Only reason I know it is due to Utica NY having a curling club.

Steve W.

1791 might be a curling rock. Never met one in person. I only used to go to the curling rink for hobby shows.

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.

Not really -- I expect many here are old enough to have seen the Beatles' "HELP!"

Reply to
Steve

But I was too young at the time to remember any curling.

Reply to
Mensanator

"British, what can you expect ..."

"White Cliffs of Dover?"