What is it? Set 307

Page 1 of 2
Next week I have plans on Thursday so I'll be posting on Wednesday afternoon, here is this week's set:
http://55tools.blogspot.com /
Rob
1753: Sharpening Steele
Lew
On 10/22/2009 1:30 AM Lew Hodgett spake thus:

That's what I was going to guess (though I think I'd drop that last "e")[1], though it's hard to tell without being able to see the surface of the rod, which would have fine ridges (like a big file). I remember we had one in the house when I was growing up, that my dad used to sharpen the carving knives and such.
[1] OTOH, maybe that's Remington's brother?

"David Nebenzahl" wrote:

Mine gets used almost every time I cook.
Lew

1753 - sharpening steel
1757 - photographic timer (probably Gralab)
On 10/22/2009 1:20 AM Rob H. spake thus:

The purpose of 1754 seems to be to pull a cord, or to release tension on a cord, by squeezing the two metal cups together.

David Nebenzahl wrote:

I was thinking just the opposite.
Bill
On 10/22/2009 7:58 AM Bill spake thus:

The opposite of what? Do tell.

On 10/22/2009 11:08 AM David Nebenzahl spake thus:

Ah, so; after someone else suggested this might be a doorbell, the light went off. What I thought were "cups" could be bells.
Still seems like an awkward, roundabout way to do it, though.

Hmmm... a string-operated doorbell. What will they think of next? : )
Bill wrote:

Pretty common state of affairs in England/Europe in the 1800's ... the bell strings, ropes and pulleys in a multi-story house look like our electrical rough-in's today.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

It makes perfect sense..it's funny how you can evolved ideas for granted. The closest I got to learning anything like that in school was learning about the "dumb waiter". Do they still put "counter-weights" in new windows?
Bill

Windows haven't been made that way for years.

Sash weights.
"Rob H." wrote ...

but
before
metal
Busting my balls? Art
Artemus wrote:

Hmmm. Okay, TWO American sports! ;)

when
were
No.
I found several sites that had British patents available but none returned anything with this number. I also found that GB469568 was issued in 1937 http://www.ipo.gov.uk/types/patent/p-about/p-whatis/p-oldnumbers/p-oldnumbers-1916.htm so maybe the online databases just don't go that far back. Art
Artemus wrote:

http://www.ipo.gov.uk/types/patent/p-about/p-whatis/p-oldnumbers/p-oldnumbers-1916.htm
A google search for HAYDEN-NILOS by itself shows the company made a number of different crimping tools to attach ferrules to hose assemblies. The pictures looks like it might be some type ofa crimper.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

It's not a doorbell, the rope in the front probably went to a foot pedal, steppiug on it would have brought the metal parts closer together. The base of it was most likely attached to a table or workbench.
Rob

1753 A steel for sharpening carving knives.
1757 Darkroom timer.
Steve R.