What is it? Set 306

Page 2 of 2

http://www.dogtagsrus.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath '&products_id0&osCsidb181ba
Thanks Leon! I just updated the answer page.
Rob
On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 23:09:59 -0400, "Rob H."
<snip>

Well, Lloyd S. had it pegged, I just provided some evidence :) I think my Google karma was strong for the moment...
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

http://www.dogtagsrus.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath '&products_id0&osCsidb181ba
Some people around here think it may be for dog tags too! No one is sure though, and there is no makers name on it, unless it's underneath! The machine is incredibly heavy!
Steve R.
Steve R. wrote:

Shame your not closer. I was just talking to one of the other officers in the FD. We were looking at replacement accountability tags for the crew. We need at least 4 per person and the common tags are plastic or laminated paper (neither fare very well in FIRES!). Then I thought of dog tags. Stainless steel, durable, legible and enough room for the proper information. Plus it would be possible to powder coat or paint them after stamping. Then I looked at what it would cost for them. (40 members X 4 plus spares) Of course the latest thing is that they would like your picture on them. I said fine, one picture ID that you use for EMS and such and the tags for fire ground use.
--
Steve W.

On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 15:06:56 -0400, "Steve W."
<snip>

Get yourself some metal and stamp them out with a hand set. Even the Harbor Freight stamp set should be good enough for that project.
I would think brass might be easier to work with, finding a suitable material maybe the hardest part.
McMaster has quite a few stamp sets, probably a more appropriate type size too. Maybe this link:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#metal-stamps/Dq9la
Never know with McMaster, if you are passing on a good link or not... Steel Stamps on page 1910 is where I was looking.
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Leon Fisk wrote:

I thought about that. Then I realized that a machine would be MUCH easier and probably cheaper in the end (Band-aids for the inevitable misses can add up :-)
--
Steve W.

Steve W. wrote:

Just a suggestion, but if there's a National Guard armory near you give them a call and ask the quartermaster if they can make dog tags--if they can then see what they'll charge to do the order for you.
J. Clarke wrote:

The way my luck runs I'd get them done and then get busted for misuse of the publics money or something like that...
Although I do know two Reserve armories and a NG unit nearby...
--
Steve W.

http://www.dogtagsonline.com /
Gunner

Rather a puzzling set it is!
1747 - Two things come to mind as possibilities: either a form used when making a splice in some sort of wire or cable or something, or sort of breakout box used to construct arbitrary adapters for electrical/electronic connectors (where a connector would lock into either end, and jumper wires through the middle could be arranged as needed).
1748 - Template for making holes for laces on a shoe (or girdle or...)? Probably not a very good guess at all.
1749 - Car ice scraper
1750 - Template to lay out depictions of traffic accidents in police reports
1751 - Tool to align a shaft with a socket that it's being fitted into. Similar (but larger) tools have been developed to fit drive shafts into automobile universal joint housings, for one example. This allows one to line up and rotate the shaft with its receptacle with one hand, leaving the other free to push them together; without such a tool, three or four hands are just about required.
1746 [sic] - I think it's an early style of typewriter; the wheel is rotated (maybe with the hand wheel) to index to the proper letter, and a lever struck on the smaller mechanism to imprint it on the paper. I can't tell if the paper roller moves or if the letter wheel etc. move horizontally, but it rather looks like the latter.
Now to read other guesses...
--
Andrew Erickson

I sent in the picture! The roller moves, but the machine has no way of printing anything on it. Seems more like a copy holder. The machine is very heavy, and I was unable to shift it to get a better picture.
Steve R.
Rob H. wrote:

1747 - Handcuff security lock? Looks like one used with chain style cuffs, wraps the chain and covers the key locks. Makes them into high security cuffs.
1748 - Looks like a wire or screw gauge.
1749 - Looks like one of the old give away window scrapers
1750 - Accident template, used by Police, Fire, Insurance and a few other outfits. The outlines allow for direction, vehicle types and positions to be recorded on a standard report sheet. Looks better than the standard doodles some folks used....
1751 - Fancy cigar cutter? Or maybe for cutting tubing squarely?
1752 - Early typewriter? Or maybe a code machine.
--
Steve W.

1747: a gizmo for attaching a lock to a [keyboard, mouse, steel tiedown] cable
1748: a thread gage plate; if your bolt matches one of these holes, check the nearby markings to see what you've WON! (otherwise, it's metric...)
1749: adjustment and install tool for grommet strip/seals?
1750: road and parkinglot design drafting aid?
1751: cigar cutter (very elegant design...)
1752: labelmaker (embosses metal strips and/or property tags)

1748 is a clock and watchmakers screw plate. It is used like a threading die. I have two, left over from my watch and clock repair shop.
Steve R.

    Your answer page has already been posted. I'm buried in scanning slides dating from about 1961 to the time I went to digital, at about 75-100 slides per day. And I have about 2910 slides to scan total, so it is not a quick process. I reached bedtime (*my* bedtime, not normal people's bedtime) and had not yet gotten into the newsgroups, so I missed my chance to post.
    But -- the ice scraper appears to have a "GM" (General Motors) logo printed on it, and I would consider that it would make a really good windshield scraper, with that hook on the flip side good for breaking the skin on the harder ice coatings.
    Enjoy,         DoN.