What is it? Set 305

I need some assistance identifying two different boxes in this set:

Rob H.
1745 Drop Forge Hammer. Small engine slowly winds cable, lifting the weights. At top, cable is released and weights drop down the rails to smash the workpiece. I suspect this is wheeled up to an anvil or dieset on an anvil, as the bottom horizontal rail doesn't look robust enough to serve as the anvil.

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

It looks so much like a pile driver (as used to build boat piers and such), I'd have guessed a fence post driver.

Ed

Reply to
Ed Edelenbos

Reply to
joeljcarver
1741. Removable security/safety handle. 1742. For transport or eradication of vermin. 1743. Continuity tester, maybe for electric fencing. 1744. Rotating spring-driven hanging device for either plants or decorations. 1755. Fence post driver. R
Reply to
RicodJour

1745--Fence post driver--with Maytag 2 cycle gasoline engine--part of stomp start gear segment visible. 1743--tail light for bicycle
Reply to
Jerry Wass

1742: Maybe some sort of bird house (note the ease with which one can remove used nests)?

Bill

Reply to
Bill

1742: Vote box (used with colored marbles/stones)?
Reply to
Scott Lurndal

#1741: end of a putter (for golf)?

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Correct, it's a detachable putter blade.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

Yes, it's for driving in fence posts or other similar work.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

Does it come with a golf ball with detachable aerilons? ;)

I could see a golf buddy bringing a little screwdriver to surreptitiously loosen the set screw and watching your face while you putted.

RicodJour

1741 - The actuator end seems to slip over a ball or flared fitting of some sort. Perhaps this is a window adjuster/opener for an old style of (casement?) window. 1742 - Perhaps a bottle is inserted, with the neck projecting through the hole in the top, to provide a handle for easier pouring of the contents. 1743 - A very strange device. Perhaps it's some sort of a pyrotechnic launcher/starter, activated by electricity, with the top of the cylinder opening to insert a canister of the pyrotechnic material. (Flares, perhaps?) 1744 - Looks like something I should recognize, but don't right offhand. The only thing that comes to mind is from Knight's dictionary where he talks of praying machines, where (in parts of Tibet and perhaps elsewhere) prayers were written on paper and attached to a rotating apparatus, the prayer believed to be "read" by the idol or god or whatever once for each rotation of the wheel. 1745 - This appears to be a small, light-duty pile driver; perhaps it was intended to be used to drive well points. The gasoline engine would seem to be a later addition, replacing what I presume was man or horse power to raise the ram. 1746 - This looks vaguely like a (homemade) box I saw once some time ago in which a magician transported the bunny he would pull out of his hat during his act--the bunny, of course, being a live pet, and I think a dwarf or at least small breed. So maybe this is a livestock/pet carrier.

Now to see other guesses...

Reply to
Andrew Erickson

1741) Wrench for something. At a guess, it is a wrench for adjusting the height of the front sight on some military rifle. 1742) Some kind of flame-powered spotlight? perhaps a candle goes inside near the back to project a fairly narrow (if dim) beam. 1743) Clip-on rescue light for finding someone in the water?

Either there is a plain battery in the cylinder and the projecting red cylinder is a button, or it is one of the water-activated batteries which has to be below the water while the light is clipped on at a point above the water for visibility.

1744) I think that this is a wind-up hanger for rotating something hung below it for display purposes. The small off-center projection is a mechanical switch to stop or start the rotation from a remote location. 1745) I think that I see hints of an IC motor under the base shown in the close-up photos.

And I think that it is designed to repeatedly wind up the weight to the top and drop it on heated iron to forge it. (This is based on the discoloration below the sliding weight shown in close-up 2.)

1746) G.E.R. "Greater Edinburough Railway" or something like that?

I think that this is designed for carrying some small critters during a reailway trip without any risk of them getting out. Perhaps something like hamsters, or chicks or something similar. It looks as though it has provisions for a lock on one of the hasps, so the carrier or a small kid can't let the critters out during the trip.

Now to see what others have said.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Good answer, it was made to clip onto a life vest to help searches find downed airmen.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

is 1746 used to transport pigeons?

Reply to
David Farmer

usual square-drive though.

1742: Maybe a live animal trap of some sort. Animal goes in, finds the box too narrow to turn around in, gets stuck. Maybe for a rat, though I'd think a rat could back out. 1743: Some sort of test probe. 1744: Odd sort of metronome 1745: Well, if you lifted the weight somehow (I don't see a crank on the wheel), you could control its descent with the brake or by changing the angle of the tall section. Not sure why you'd want to. My first thought was some sort of lift, but it doesn't seem to be set up as a counterweight system.
Reply to
Matthew Russotto

Amazing how many problems can be solved by dropping something heavy on them repeatedly :-)

Reply to
Matthew Russotto

1744 - Tibetan Prayer Thingie
Reply to
LDosser

1742 Might be a butter mold. Most I remember were a lot betterquality than the one shown.

DL

Reply to
TwoGuns