What is it? Set 302

Submitted for your perusal, another set of items found while wandering back alley flea markets and dens of antiquity:

Rob H.

1725 is used by electricians to coil wire 1726 is a ladder jack

1728 is a homemade cannon

Larry C

Reply to
Larry C

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

I take back my guess on 1725 it is a transmission stand

Reply to
Larry C

1725 Engine stand used for rebuilding engines
Staging bracket used on a ladder for temp scaffolding
Limp Arbor

Cork/bottle stop remover?

Reply to
Stephen2
1728 a noon cannon - somehow sun light was focussed on the touch hole and it fired a charge of back powder at noon.
Reply to
joelblatt

"Rob H." wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news5.newsguy.com:

1723 - Camera tripod 1724 - Wheel truing stand
Reply to
Brad Bruce

1723 - a foot for a metal chair with tube legs. The three prongs go inside the tube. Or maybe a cane or something like that. 1724 - you put something in it and center it and then you can swivel it, so my first thought is surveying or a sextant but I just don't know. 1725 - engine or transmission stand.

1726 - Ladder bracket/shelf thing.

1727 - Reminds me of a core sampler for cheese but I think it's missing parts. Maybe a tip for a pole.

1728 - My friend says... "that's a coast guard rescue cannon! For shooting out rope and stuff!"

Reply to
else24

Close, but no cigar. It's an engine stand.

Reply to
Doug Miller
1725 Engine stand

1728 Bayonet sheath. Can't remember which bayonet--round spike, not very long. Used to be cheap enough to use as tent stakes. No. 4 Enfield? It's too short for the old Lebel cruciform bayonet unless it's been cut down.

1728 Cannon. Signal cannon? Line throwing cannon? 24" long---a "one pounder"?
Reply to
BillM

Do you accept entries from your readers?

Paul

Reply to
KD7HB

Doug is correct on this being an engine stand. Typically an engine is pulled out with a hoist, aka cherry picker" and mounted on the engine stand in the same location that a transmission would be attached. Transmissions are typically removed from the bottom of the vehicle while it is in the air on a rack. A transmission jack is rolled under the vehicle and attached to the bottom of the transmission and then lowered and rolled to a work area.

Reply to
Leon

1723 -

1724 - Truing rack. Used to true wire spoked wheels. That one looks like it's for older auto rims.

1725 - Engine stand. The one I have is yellow with larger wheels.

1726 - Ladder jack. Used with 2 GOOD ladders so you can make a scaffold. missing the locking pins and straps on the upper lock. I prefer the steel version myself.

1727 -

1728 - Looks like either a salute cannon or a model of a fixed gun.

Reply to
Steve W.
1726 looks to me like some brackets I had that would allow you to have an under the counter shelf that you could pull the pins out, it would swing out, and lock, giving you another work surface either at table level or just below.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Is 1723 a bottle stopper?

Larry C

Reply to
Larry C

My truck is experiencing that as we speak ...

Reply to
Swingman

1724: Could be a truing stand, but I'm guessing not 1725: Engine stand, 750 lb capacity. 1726: Base for an extension ladder. Possibly vehicle-mounted. 1727: Lightning rod top 1726: Cannon, probably a blank-firing scale replica
Reply to
Matthew Russotto

sundry varied items:

1723 -- Funky wadding for a large shotgun or similar weapon? Foot or other end for a tubular support? Pushbutton switch (with integral strain relief) for mounting on a pigtail lead? So many possibilities, none really convincing. 1724 -- Spoke setting/wheel truing jig for some sort of spoked wheel, probably early motor vehicle wheels ("artillery wheels," if I recall correctly). 1725 -- Appears to be an engine or transmission workstand, for supporting an engine while overhauling it. Presumably, this is for units that are attached via a bell housing. The T handle opposite the mount permits flipping the workpiece. 1726 -- Device that attaches to the top rungs of a ladder and provides an adjustable hook/tab piece. I'd assume this is either to provide a degree of security against the ladder shifting while in use, or (perhaps more likely) to provide a standoff so the ladder itself isn't leaning against the gutter or wall or whatever is being worked on. 1727 -- fitting to hold a slender pole, perhaps for a smallish flag? 1728 -- Miniature/model cannon, possibly used with blanks for marking time, starting races, and the like.

Now to read other guesses...

Reply to
Andrew Erickson

1725 - Engine stand, but somebody already got it. )-;

1728 - Because of the setting and the label, I'm guessing a scale model of some old cannon, in a museum display of some kind.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise