What is it? Set 301

Page 1 of 2
This week's set has been posted:
http://55tools.blogspot.com /
Rob

1720. Old Smokey Beer Can Chicken Holder. (Amazon.com product link shortened)
Karl
1719 Not even a good guess, but some rambling: Used to get truck tires on/off rims. I reason by analogy with the levers used to mount/dismount bicycle tires. Push the solid bar between tire and rim. Use the arm with the handle to widen the gap. Wedge the split arm against the solid arm to keep the displacement. Then use a similar tool somewhere further around to do the same operation.

Excellent, looks like you nailed it! I did a search on tire breakers and found one almost just like it:
http://shop.artspeedequip.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id "&products_id41
Thanks, Rob

1717 Butter mold 1718 Sheet metal version of a "Hoosier Kitchen"
On Sep 10, 7:53am, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" <lloydspinsidemindspring.com> wrote:

Lloyd may be right on 1717, as ,my thought wouldn't need the embossed letters inside. However, my thought is a "skid brake" for old wood/ iron rim wagon wheels. We had somewthing very similar on the farm. I cant tell from the photo what is attached, but the one we had used a chain attached to the wagon frame. When hauling a heavy load with horses, you put this in front of the rear wheel, roll up onto it, then the chain holds it in place so the wheel skids down the hill instead of rolling. Once at the bottom of the hill, back up off the brake and hang it up on the frame.
Norm
On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 06:53:41 -0500, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

I think brick. ;-)

I was going to say, "antique industrial coffee urn". ;-)
1720, I almost said a coffeepot warmer for a very small coffeepot; You'd set a votive-type candle on the lower small ring, and the coffeepot on top.
But I've found that that's not even close. "Beer can chicken stand," indeed! I heard of such a thing (beer can chicken, not the stand) just recently on TeeVee; the guy didn't use a stand, he just balanced the can/chicken assembly on the bottom of the can. He also used half the beer in some kind of basting sauce.
At first glance, it looks like a joke, and almost obscene. ;-)
Cheers! Rich

Yes, brick mold is correct.
Rob

You've got the right idea but the one in my photo goes by a different name, based on where and when it was used.
Rob

    Hmm ... part of a "chuck wagon" for feeding cowboys on the trail?
    Enjoy,         DoN.

Correct! It was called a chuck box and was filled with food and utensils.
Rob

1717: Brick or butter mold
1720: Beer can chicken stand.
That's all I got...

OK, I give up. What is a "beer can chicken stand"?

You put an open can of beer in the center of the stand. Then you stick it up the chicken's ass so the chicken is verticle on the stand. The you roast the chicken.

Oh, I see. So this is something which could be used in conjunction with number 1716 (from set 300)?
Somebody wrote:

AKA: Beer Can Chicken.
Where I come from don't need no freakin stand for Beer Can Chicken.
The can serves as it's own stand to keep the chicken standing upright.
When the grease quits running out of the grease sack, it's time to eat chicken.
Lew

In some states, chickens are allowed to make pin(feather) money by selling beer by the roadside. Since they're not very strong, they use stands to hold up the beer cans. This allows them to set the beer on top of a table, which raises the cans up higher so passers-by can see them.
It's a myth that this has anything to do with "drunken chicken" recipes. Those are based on urban chickens, which usually stick to white wine. Boneless chickens are more likely to be wine drinkers.
-- Ed Huntress
Roy Smith wrote:

It's a great way to cook a chicken so it isn't dried out.
Open your favorite beer, drink a small amount so thermal expansion doesn't cause a problem.
Now the open beer goes in the center ring.
Take well cleaned whole chicken and slide it over the stand and beer.
Set entire thing on the grill (or in the oven). Beer heats up and the flavor of the beer and the moisture from it bastes the bird as it cooks.
Enjoy.
--
Steve W.

1717. A brick mold.