What is it? Set 298

Page 1 of 3
I need some help with the first item this week, I've shown it to a number of people and most of them don't even have a guess for it, I'll be surprised if we get the answer:
http://55tools.blogspot.com /
Rob
First item is a link to hold .50cal Machine gun ammo

Thanks, that didn't take long, I showed this to a lot of tool collectors but we were all stumped by it.
Rob
1702 A guess, based on a crude description of the parts... A tractor (or possibly animal team) pull sled. It has a weight and a mechanism to move the weight from one end to the other as it moves, changing the effective drag.

Looks similar to the trailer towed in "mud drags" / "bog racing" where the further the thing is dragged the greater the load it presents to the towing vehicle. mmm, cant find a pic of a similar one anywhere.
On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 21:22:16 +0800, Polyp wrote:

http://images.google.com/images?q=tractor+pull+sled
Hope This Helps! Rich
1701 Let me try a wild guess, based on the words in the description... When I was a kid, baseball scoreboards had a guy hanging numbered panels in windows. Nowadays, they use computers. Could this be part of the control for a baseball scoreboard?

Link from a machine gun ammo belt? If not, then certainly a link from some kind of chain or belt.
Rob H. wrote:

1699 - Browning M2 .50 cal belt link. (missing the important part that goes bang.
1700 - Could be an early hole punch ?
1701 - Not a clue. Looks like it could be interesting though!
1702 - Home built weight transfer machine.
1703 - Old self locking clamp?
1704 - easy pour oil filler for a lamp???
--
Steve W.

Yes, it's a container for kerosene.
Rob

I'll

1699 It sure looks like a .50-caliber machine gun belt link to me.
LLoyd
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

That was my first reaction, but note that one loop is smaller than the other--it could simply be bent but if it's part of a disintegrating belt it seems to me that that would be likely to cause a stoppage.

Nah... that's the front -- just keeps the rounds "registered" in the belt. Now, staggered rounds -- that'll end up stopping a Browning 50.
LLoyd
On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 11:18:54 -0400, "J. Clarke"

They are all made that way - at least for ammunition with necked down cartridges. The small loop fits around the neck of the cartridge. The large loops fit around the body
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA
On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 11:18:54 -0400, J. Clarke wrote:

That holds the narrow end of the brass - the bullet goes out the front, and all the brass goes into another box, still linked.
Cheers! Rich

front,
Really?
LLoyd
On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 15:02:43 -0500, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

Well, that's what they did with the .50 cals miniguns that they hung under the F-4 phantoms in Southeast Asia.
Hope This Helps! Rich
fired this volley in

Rich, I was being just a touch facetious. I spent a long time behind both a single and twin Browing .50 on Swift Boats in RVN.
They extract each round from the belt, and chamber it fully. Think about it... where would the link fit inside the chamber?
Here's the only vid I could find quickly that shows the rounds being ejected onto the roof of the vehicle.
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID3809931
LLoyd
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

FWIW, a Minigun is a very different critter from a Browning.
fired this volley in

But you still have to chamber the round. And there is no reason to reinsert the round in the carrier. AC-47 was armored on the inside to keep the brass from making holes in the fuselage.