What is it? Set 294

Another set of items has been posted:

Rob H.

1678: Hook holder for snelled fish hooks.
Reply to
Ed Huntress

1675. Carbide lamp. I'll guess for a car. 1676. Torque wrench. Don't know what for. Karl
Reply to
kfvorwerk

1680 is a tow target for jet jockeys to shoot at.

technomaNge

Reply to
technomaNge

carriage

Reply to
joeljcarver

Is t just me or these things getting harder?

1675 Miners acetelyne lamp 1677 burr cutter for pipe ends? looks like it might fit 1/2", 3/4", and 1" pipe before cutting the threads. 1680 is a towed gunnery target

Rob H. wrote:

Reply to
RoyJ
1675 carbide lamp for bicycle or car

i am sorry, no more silly guesses this week

greetings from germany chris

Reply to
Christian Stüben
1678: holder for fishhook subassemblies (pointy parts in the hole, preattached leader through the blue slotted rubbery disk to hold in place)
Reply to
whit3rd

1675 - Carbide lantern. Looks like it's from a coach.

1676 -

1677 - Looks like something used to deburr pipe for assembly.

1678 - Internal version of the above?

1679 -

1680 - Target sled. It gets towed behind a ship for gunnery practice. That one belongs to the 178th training squadron out of Springfield OH.

Reply to
Steve W.

Number 1676 is a fan belt tension gauge.

Number 1677 is an exhaust pipe deburring tool.

Number 1678 is a clutch plate alignment tool.

Cliff whidbey.us

Reply to
Cliff

1675) Looks like a kerosene (or perhaps an acetylene (carbide)) fired lamp for a really old vehicle and I *think* based on the red jewel on the right) that it might be a lamp for mounting on a ship facing to the rear so the red marks the port (left) side.

If so, there will be a green jewel in the other side to mark the starboard (right) side.

1676) A weird torque measuring wrench -- for tightening something with slots instead of flats. 1677) A wrench for reaching down (perhaps into a hole in the ground giving access to a water shutoff valve. It appears to be designed to fit multiple sizes with a single wrench. 1678) Hmm ... it looks like an incomplete nose-hair trimmer for a troll or other giant being. :-) There should be a rotating slotted cylinder inside what is shown to use as a cutter blade.

Really -- no real clue as to what it is for, so I describe what it reminds me of. :-)

1679) A hammer which also acts as a pin spanner wrench. The two pins fit into holes of the same spacing, and the hammer handle turns the whatever. 1680) Looks like a towed target drone -- used for anti-aircraft practice towed behind a manned aircraft on a *long* cable. There seem to be some hits mostly on the upper wing (from the current orientation, which appears to be upside down.

Now to see what others have guessed.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

This answer is correct.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

Yes, I found a similar light that was marked as being used on a bike, not sure if they were also mounted on carriages or auto as others have mentioned.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

1676. Here it is:
two-thirds of the way down, on page 4. Don't look if you're still guessing.

Posted from rec.puzzles.

Reply to
Cecil

1675 - Appears to be a specialized lamp of some sort. Maybe it's an early magic lantern projector or some theatrical effect. 1676 - Torque spanner wrench, for tightening nuts or whatever with a notch in the side rather than the more common multiple flats. From the size, perhaps this was used specifically in the adjustment of some optical instrument (microscope lens or eyepiece, perhaps--too small for most camera lenses). 1677 - Wrench for water or gas mains, presumably so shaped because the corresponding valves sometimes get corroded and generally worn or mistreated. 1678 - This appears to be some manner of specialized reamer, maybe for making countersink holes in metal plates for large screws or rivets? 1679 - Hammer with two prongs. Why one might want a hammer with two prongs and what one would do with one if one had it, I haven't the foggiest idea. 1680 - Target for antiaircraft fire practice, towed with a long cable?

Now to read other guesses.

Reply to
Andrew Erickson

Until I looked at the set of items again, I thought you were, for some reason, referring to:

Kerry Montgomery

1675 carbide lamp. Could be for a bicycle, motorcycle, or early car. More likely the first two. 1680 looks a bit like a paravane used to deflect mines away from ships.

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.

Reply to