What is it? Set 289

Page 2 of 2

    Arrghh! Another one when I wasn't looking for it. At least I found it before I got much more than an hour into Thursday:
    Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking as always:
1645)    For making large negatives (and eventually photoraphic prints)     from a single frame of movie film.
    I'm not sure whether it is 8mm or 16mm movie film, but I think     8mm based on the slight offset of the window in the raised pad.
    The opal glass in the hinged part is to assure that it is evenly     illuminated.
    Hmm ... could it hold Polariod film?
1646)    Replaceable handle for something which only needs the handle     used as a lever, since it is missing the usual screw threads     found on push-broom and mop handles, as well as being a bit too     short.
1647)    A plane to groove the edge of a board. I would expect it to     just be for smoothing the edge, but the guide pins are too far     apart to work that way. A board which fits the pin spacings     would get a groove cut down the middle of its edge.
    You presumably drive it with another hammer, which suggests that     it is for a serious hardwood, not soft pine.
    I have no idea what function the other part shown in the patent     drawings serves.
    Hmm ... A last-moment thought: Could it be for grooving the     edge of a window frame to clear the spring tape which acts to     counter the weight of the window? (The old cast-iron     counterweights would need a deeper and narrower groove.
    In that case, the extra part could be for spreading glazers     putty.
1648)    Tongs for moving something hot and heavy at a foundry, probably     moving it from the forge where it is heated to the anvil where     it is beat to shape.
1649)    No clue on this one.
1650)    At least part of this looks designed for rounding the corners     of a board -- perhaps to eliminate splinters. Not sure of the     function of the other parts, but it looks fairly recent in     manufacture.
    Now to see what others have suggested.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
#1648: These are tongs that are used to hold large pieces of steel that are being forged under a steam hammer. Note the L shaped handles sticking out the sides of the pair in the cradle. In use, the tongs are supported close to the pivot point by a crane. One or more workmen manipulate the reins to close them to hold the workpiece as it is taken from the furnace. The reins are clamped to hold the workpiece. A crane operator works in concert with the workmen as they move the work into place under the steam hammer for forging. As the crane operator and the workmen at the reins push and pull the workpiece in and out under the hammer, 2 or more other workmen use those L shaped handles to rotate the workpiece as needed. The Blacksmith is the team leader. He is the guy who will be measuring the work as it proceeds. He may or may not be one of the workmen already described. One other workman uses a broom to brush scale off the lower die as the forging proceeds. The reason I say things like "are used" rather than "were used" is that these tools are still used in some large forge shops today, particularly in third world countries. for heavier work or in more modern forge shops, the tongs have been replaced by a machine called a "manipulator". It replaces both crane and tongs. It looks like a fork lift with jaws that can rotate 360 of thereabouts. It's still amazing to me to watch those teams work together to get large parts forged to very close dimensions.
You can still see these processes around the Chicago area. We visited one of them last summer.