What is it? Set 287

Looks like I spoke too soon about the 100th collaboration with Neatorama, due to a request by Alex it will not occur until next week.

Rob H.
1633 Key maker. To cut notches in car keys.

1636 Soldering iron rest. Used for the kind of electrically heated full-size soldering irons needed for making/repairing vacuum-tube electronic stuff.

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso
1633. World's messiest caulking gun? ;) 1634. Fishing jig - erratic motion that changes with boat speed. 1635. Picture hook hung on wood picture molding. 1636. Soldering iron stand. 1637. Maybe a fan to induce a draft in a metal chimney. 1638. No idea. R
Reply to
RicodJour

1638- strap-on tire chain.

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp
1633 Key cutter. Used one a lot in the parts dept. at a Chevy dealer in the early 70's

1634 Fishing thingy. "downplaner"?? It's upside down in the picture. Takes a lure deep, but can be tripped to provide less pull when reeling in a fish.

1635 No idea

1636 Looks familiar--but can't put a name to it.

1637 WAG---used in a beauty parlor? Handles look a lot like some old curling irons.

1638 Strap on tire chain

Reply to
Bill Marrs

Neatorama,

1633 - Key cutter

1634 - Down plane for trolling rig (upside down in pic)

1635 - Boot pull

1636 - Soldering iron stand

1637 - ?

1638 - Pipe wrench

Len

Reply to
Len

Its an abrasive wheel with tungsten carbide bits plated onto the stamped sheet metal base as the abrasive.

Wolfgang

Reply to
wfhabicher

Good guess, it was marked as being a barber's fan.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

1634 Home made planer/downrigger for fishing. 1638 Emergency tire chain

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.

1633) Tool for cutting keys from the depth codes in a code book.

Rotate the disk until the codes for the maker in question lines up with the pin on the lever, lift the lever until the pin drops into the proper numbered notch, and squeeze the handles to both cut the key notch, and to advance the key holder to the next notch position.

I don't know whether there is anything which controls the spacing of the notches, or whether all car keys have the same spacing.

The real trick to getting some use of one of these is to have the book which the manufacturers publish which lists the depth codes indexed by the number stamped in the keys and the lock.

1634) This looks as though it balances when supported from the eye which should be slid to the fairly sharp angle at the bottom as it is shown here. I think that the counterweight is enough to handle something resting on the flat surface which would be up if it were hung as I described. 1635) To hang something from a loop of wire. I think that it might be something like a bucket (held in the lower hooks), and something like the handle of a spoon or ladle in the bottom tabs. 1636) Rest for a *big* soldering iron. I think an American Beauty.

I've got one of those -- something like 450 or 850 Watts, and a copper tip about 1" diameter.

I always referred to it as my "slaughtering iron". :-)

1637) A hand-pumped fan -- perhaps to go over an opening in a wood stove to pump air while trying to start the fire. 1638) Designed to capture a cylindrical part on the side of a truck. Perhaps for hose extensions for a fire truck.

Now to see what others have said.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

busy for me to be able to connect last night. (I'm not complaining about that. I'm actually really happy that my little local ISP sees fit to continue to contract out to provide news server access for all their subscribers, especially when so many ISPs are dropping that service. Hurray for Green Mountain Access!)

Anyhow, without seeing other responses...

1633 - World's fanciest saw set? I don't really think that's quite right, but I can't think of any other possibility. It's highly adjustable, whatever it is. 1634 - Gizmo towed behind a boat when trolling that keeps the fishline where you want it (and/or alerts you when there's a nibble), possibly? 1635 - Looks to me like a hook for hanging a picture or similar from an old-fashioned picture rail moulding. The broad curved end hooks over the moulding, and the hooks grab onto a wire or string to hang the picture. 1636 - Could be a soldering iron rest for an old-fashioned (blowtorch heated) iron, to keep from burning one's workbench, workshop, and/or self. 1637 - Possibly for use in fire starting, as an alternative to bellows. 1638 - Strap to keep a window opened as desired, presumably a sash that hinges inward or outward from the bottom. The chains provide a fixed maximum opening, of course. Looks like a pretty well thought through design for this sort of thing, actually.

Now to see what other people suggest...

Reply to
Andrew Erickson