What is it? Set 283

I can't believe it's Thursday already, I need some help on a surveyor's device this week:

Rob H.

1609. Radiator cap from and old car (30's or before). I bet someone else here will know which one. Karl
Reply to
kfvorwerk
1611: most of a roller bearing (all but the outer race)

1614: Maybe a cathetometer - sort of a short distance telescopic very low power microscope used to examine something, such as the height of a column of mercury, from across the lab. In this case, the "thing" you are looking at has a scale attached... Joel in Florida

Reply to
joelblatt

parking meters.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

Nice call. Here's a very similar one on this page, about halfway down in the middle column.

riverman

Found it.

Ford Model T

--riverman

Reply to
riverman

1610: Super dee-lux dowsing rod 1611: The thing in the middle is a roller bearing; I don't know what the assembly is for. 1612: ??? 1613: Kind of looks like an old tube tester, but I've never seen a portable one nor one quite so substantial. 1614: A surveyor's level. You'd set it so the spirit level showed it was level all around. Then you'd aim at at some known point (e.g. a benchmark upon which your woefully underpaid apprentice is holding a level rod). Then you'd turn it so it was aimed above the point you wanted to transfer the elevation to, and have someone else hold up the level rod so the level is aimed directly at it.

I don't know what the numbers are for; typically a level has crosshairs.

Reply to
Matthew Russotto

Thanks, that's a good link, I'll probably use it on the answer page, although I don't think this Boyce Moto-Meter was for a specific type of car.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

I thought that 1614 was a surveyor's level but now I'm thinking you might be right about it being a cathetometer, I'll send an email to the owner and see what he has to say.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

1609 - It would be really, really nice to have an enlarged view of this, so as to make out the markings engraved on the front glass. I'm guessing these may give the item away, since an enlargement is missing. Anyhow, it seems to be an indicating device of some sort. I'm guessing, for no particularly good reason, that it has a nautical application, possibly in ascertaining distance of a log line or something similar. 1610 - Seems to be a tool for levering something a short distance, but with great force. Maybe it's railroad related, such as to manually move the points of a switch that is otherwise uncooperative. 1611 - This looks to be a roller (maybe timken?) bearing of hefty size with the rods welded on. It could form the hub of some small amusement ride. It could also be a part of a turntable for, say, a large television set, but the bearing looks designed for radial loads more than thrust loads, which is opposite of what a TV turntable would encounter. 1612 - Probably a gauge to measure the width of some relatively thin things, measured on what appears to be a logarithmic scale (a linear increase in dimension leading to an exponential increase in gauge number). The chain is to keep it handy at...well, whatever it's used at. So, what's measured? No real ideas, although I'll take a stab and guess small metal extrusions of some sort--channels or I-beams or some such. 1613 - Self-service tiki torch check. ("Please check all tiki torches at the door. Thank you.") 1614 - My guess is that it's to measure windage due to gyroscopic effects for a rifled gun. My guess is probably not correct, though.

It's a tough set. Now to see other people's thoughts.

Reply to
Andrew Erickson

I'm not so sure that this isn't some homemade device. The body of it looks strangely similar to a circa 1920 Brass Microscope:

riverman

That's a cool project. Karl

Reply to
kfvorwerk

riverman

Microscope:

purpose. "Ablese-mikroskop" is apparently commonplace German usage but it's not in my regular dictionary and I don't know where my technical German dictionary is hiding.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Ablesen means to "read off" (perhaps to "tell by looking")-- probably refers to the microscope having a calibrated scale.

Northe

Reply to
Northe

another? The company made a lot of different optical instruments (and various bits of it, like Leica Camera, still exist).

Reply to
Matthew Russotto

But its presence there makes it a lab instrument rather than a surveying instrument. Also, Google helpfully informs me that Abelese-Mikroskop means "Reading Microscope".

Reply to
Matthew Russotto