What is it? Set 281

Might be another difficult set this week:

Rob H.
1599 Telephone Stand. Picture this thing screwed to a wall near a couple of desks, with one of those old two-piece upright phones on it. The clerks with head-visors and arm bands swing this thing back and forth to share the phone.

1601 Bug sprayer. (sprays insecticide, not bugs) Might also be used to spray herbicide on weeds.

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

1598. I think it's off a carriage or wagon. I couldn't find it in the carriage catalogs but I seem to remember one from when I worked at Middleton Place in SC. 1599. I think it's the holder for the receiving end of of a telegraph. Karl
Reply to
kfvorwerk

1599 Holds a telephone or perhaps a telegraphic sounder 1601 Looks a lot like a backpack for fighting brush fires.

Howard Garner

Reply to
Howard R Garner

"Alexander Thesoso" fired this volley in news:gspe7p$7ne$ snipped-for-privacy@news.motzarella.org:

1610 looks more like an "Indian"... a backpack firefighting tank with trombone-slide pump.

I lugged one of those around for a few summers in Florida, fighting brush fires.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

1597 -

1598 - Adjustable fixture for wooden scaffolding?

1599 - Swinging telephone stand

1600 - Depends on what it is made of, there is a fire tool that looks like that, used for pushing up/tearing down suspended ceilings. I have also seen something like it that was made to carry sheet goods

1601 - Back breaking SOB of an "Indian Tank". Used for fighting brush and grass fires mainly. They can also be used to spray other thin liquids. That one is a true Indian Tank but it's missing the front decal with the information on it. They are nasty to wear and use because if you slip and land on the tank it will hurt you. How many would you like? We just threw out 10 of them.

1602 - Some type of wood clamp?

Reply to
Steve W.

I keep one on the back of my Jeep all summer long.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

1598 I would guess it's a hitch for a piece of farm equiptment. Maybe a cultivator or something else that you would have to adjust alot. Kinda handy having the wrench be the drawpin too. If that is what it is. 1600 Looks like it could be some sort of hog catcher. The D part would go over the snout. 1601 It looks like a backpack sprayer but I don't see a pump to pressurize it. It looks to be gravity fed. I am not sure how you would use it if that's the case.
Reply to
Jesse

"Jesse" wrote: 1598 I would guess it's a hitch for a piece of farm equiptment. Maybe a cultivator or something else that you would have to adjust alot. Kinda handy having the wrench be the drawpin too. If that is what it is. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ It *IS* a hitch for a piece of farm equipment--probably a plow. The arc of holes along the side allows the farmer to adjust the angle, which controls how deep the plow digs. It could also go on a lister.* ____________________

*For you city slickers, a lister turns the soil both ways, and makes a furrow.
Reply to
Leo Lichtman

It's an adjusting connector, agreed. Has both vertical and angle/horizontal adjustment, but I don't think it's the direct pull hitch at all--not nearly heavy enough unless it's a whole lot bigger than it looks in the photo.

Specifically what I'm not sure, but definitely imo _not_ turning plow or planter lister arrangement.

Cultivator or other light work attachment (needing significant adjustment, obviously :) ) perhaps, but I'm still thinking its a connection, not a drawpiece.

--

Reply to
dpb

Here we go...all guesses, some may be likely, some not

1597 - A dashpot to slow down a self-closing door (missing the piston rod, or else with said rod retracted), possibly? 1598 - The famous Acme multi-bracket, which replaces sixteen different specialized brackets. What other piece of hardware could both hold a rudder on a boat and support a mirror over a chest of drawers? 1599 - Support bracket for an old telephone (of the original sort, with a built-in mouthpiece and separate cabled earpiece) or something similar, presumably to be attached to a desktop, allowing it to be swung out of the way when not needed and positioned handily when in use. 1600 - Puller for a small aircraft, which fits onto the nosewheel and allows one to both steer and move the vehicle manually, as when putting it into or out of a hanger 1601 - Portable sprayer for agricultural use, presumably operated by extending and retracting the spray head part, trombone style. 1602 - Stretcher for something, possibly window screens?
Reply to
Andrew Erickson
1599: Definitely a swing-arm resonator for a telegraph sounder. Here's a picture of one:

It's described on

item number 2035

Northe

Reply to
Northe

Andrew Erickson wrote: ...

Actually, I think it's a gas/kerosene flame weedburner from the size of the hose and the head.

Yeah, but what some other views of this guy would probably help determine...

Reply to
dpb

1601 is an Indian Fire Pump.

That's I got...

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

I forgot that I had another view of it, I just added this photo to the web site:

Rob H.

1597) I would like to see more viewpoints on this one, but ... It *might* be a pressure relief valve -- perhaps with a whistle as an alarm. 1598) Kind of small for what it looks like -- so it might be for use in building a scale model to test the ideas.

Anyway -- what it *looks* like (other than the strange clamp screw which also appears to act as a wrench) is the framework on which a front suspension could be built -- shifting to different holes to try different angles of castor and camber. Probably for use with a wood frame, not a metal one.

1599) I would like higher resolution in the images so I could check some ideas -- but at a guess, it is intended to hold a carbon microphone in the box in front of an announcer, or perhaps a very early telephone operator.

The actual microphone is missing, but it looks like the kind of cord used for really old microphones and earsets for ancient telephones.

1600) Perhaps for prying a wheel out of a rut so you can add something below the wheel for increased traction? 1601) Either of two things to my mind. 1) A spray for applying insecticides in the field, or perhaps herbicides? 2) Doesn't quite look right in the nozzle, but it *might* be a "prickley-pear burner" -- used during sustained periods of drought when the rancher's tank for watering the cattle has gone nearly dry. It is used to burn the needles off "prickley-pear" cactus -- big fat leaves full of water -- but protected by thorns.

This works until the drought goes away, and the rancher stops burning the needles from the cactus, at which point the thorns grow back and the cattle are reminded why they normally don't eat cactus, and go back tot he tank.

1602) Similar to one in last week's batch -- it pulls frame corners together for gluing or attaching by other forms of hardware. This one does not expect mitred corners, but rather an end against a side.

Now to see what others suggest. DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols
1598 is a bracket for adjusting the pull angles on a moldboard plow 1601 is a farmers flame thrower for burn> Might be another difficult set this week:
Reply to
RoyJ

I keep two of the soft bags in my rig, because of the way they form to you they don't dig in the straps like the old cans.

I MAY polish up a couple of the ones we still have and toss them on the parade rig. We just put a larger tanker into service and the department we got it from "included" 4 tin tanks with it....

Just for fun I just looked at the prices of NEW Indian Tank 90 series... $130-$250.00 Maybe I should clean up a couple and Bay-em....

Steve W.

Thanks. I couldn't remember what it was called. Karl

Reply to
kfvorwerk

1598: Gate latch 1599: A scoop for getting stuff out of a bin. The rest of the stuff is to keep the scoop from getting lost/stolen 1600: Window-washing handle 1601: Looks like it ought to be for distributing pesticide or herbicide, but I'd expect a way to pressurize it. Or a flamethrower...

1602: Folding coathook.

Reply to
Matthew Russotto