What is it? Set 281

Page 1 of 2
Might be another difficult set this week:
http://55tools.blogspot.com /
Rob
1599 Telephone Stand. Picture this thing screwed to a wall near a couple of desks, with one of those old two-piece upright phones on it. The clerks with head-visors and arm bands swing this thing back and forth to share the phone.
1601 Bug sprayer. (sprays insecticide, not bugs) Might also be used to spray herbicide on weeds.

1610 looks more like an "Indian"... a backpack firefighting tank with trombone-slide pump.
I lugged one of those around for a few summers in Florida, fighting brush fires.
LLoyd

1598. I think it's off a carriage or wagon. I couldn't find it in the carriage catalogs but I seem to remember one from when I worked at Middleton Place in SC. 1599. I think it's the holder for the receiving end of of a telegraph. Karl
Rob H. wrote:

1601 Looks a lot like a backpack for fighting brush fires.
Howard Garner
Rob H. wrote:

1597 -
1598 - Adjustable fixture for wooden scaffolding?
1599 - Swinging telephone stand
1600 - Depends on what it is made of, there is a fire tool that looks like that, used for pushing up/tearing down suspended ceilings. I have also seen something like it that was made to carry sheet goods
1601 - Back breaking SOB of an "Indian Tank". Used for fighting brush and grass fires mainly. They can also be used to spray other thin liquids. That one is a true Indian Tank but it's missing the front decal with the information on it. They are nasty to wear and use because if you slip and land on the tank it will hurt you. How many would you like? We just threw out 10 of them.
1602 - Some type of wood clamp?
--
Steve W.

I keep one on the back of my Jeep all summer long.
--
Stupendous Man,
Stupendous Man wrote:

I keep two of the soft bags in my rig, because of the way they form to you they don't dig in the straps like the old cans.
I MAY polish up a couple of the ones we still have and toss them on the parade rig. We just put a larger tanker into service and the department we got it from "included" 4 tin tanks with it....
Just for fun I just looked at the prices of NEW Indian Tank 90 series... $130-$250.00 Maybe I should clean up a couple and Bay-em.... http://snipurl.com/gl3mi
--
Steve W.

1598 I would guess it's a hitch for a piece of farm equiptment. Maybe a cultivator or something else that you would have to adjust alot. Kinda handy having the wrench be the drawpin too. If that is what it is.
1600 Looks like it could be some sort of hog catcher. The D part would go over the snout.
1601 It looks like a backpack sprayer but I don't see a pump to pressurize it. It looks to be gravity fed. I am not sure how you would use it if that's the case.
"Jesse" wrote: 1598 I would guess it's a hitch for a piece of farm equiptment. Maybe a cultivator or something else that you would have to adjust alot. Kinda handy having the wrench be the drawpin too. If that is what it is. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ It *IS* a hitch for a piece of farm equipment--probably a plow. The arc of holes along the side allows the farmer to adjust the angle, which controls how deep the plow digs. It could also go on a lister.* ____________________ *For you city slickers, a lister turns the soil both ways, and makes a furrow.
Leo Lichtman wrote:

It's an adjusting connector, agreed. Has both vertical and angle/horizontal adjustment, but I don't think it's the direct pull hitch at all--not nearly heavy enough unless it's a whole lot bigger than it looks in the photo.
Specifically what I'm not sure, but definitely imo _not_ turning plow or planter lister arrangement.
Cultivator or other light work attachment (needing significant adjustment, obviously :) ) perhaps, but I'm still thinking its a connection, not a drawpiece.

Here we go...all guesses, some may be likely, some not
1597 - A dashpot to slow down a self-closing door (missing the piston rod, or else with said rod retracted), possibly?
1598 - The famous Acme multi-bracket, which replaces sixteen different specialized brackets. What other piece of hardware could both hold a rudder on a boat and support a mirror over a chest of drawers?
1599 - Support bracket for an old telephone (of the original sort, with a built-in mouthpiece and separate cabled earpiece) or something similar, presumably to be attached to a desktop, allowing it to be swung out of the way when not needed and positioned handily when in use.
1600 - Puller for a small aircraft, which fits onto the nosewheel and allows one to both steer and move the vehicle manually, as when putting it into or out of a hanger
1601 - Portable sprayer for agricultural use, presumably operated by extending and retracting the spray head part, trombone style.
1602 - Stretcher for something, possibly window screens?
--
Andrew Erickson

Andrew Erickson wrote: ...

Actually, I think it's a gas/kerosene flame weedburner from the size of the hose and the head.

Yeah, but what some other views of this guy would probably help determine...

I forgot that I had another view of it, I just added this photo to the web site:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/harnett65/Album10/pic1602ba.jpg
Rob
On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 20:54:13 -0400, "Rob H."
<snip>

Item 1602 is a siding or clap-board gauge. See:
http://www.google.com/patents?vid70019
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Thanks, I knew what it was but didn't have the patent for it.
Rob
1599: Definitely a swing-arm resonator for a telegraph sounder. Here's a picture of one:
<
http://chss.montclair.edu/~pererat/2035.gif
It's described on
<http://chss.montclair.edu/~pererat/m3000.htm item number 2035 Northe

Thanks. I couldn't remember what it was called. Karl

1601 is an Indian Fire Pump.
That's I got...

    O.K. Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking as always.
1597)    I would like to see more viewpoints on this one, but ...          It *might* be a pressure relief valve -- perhaps with a whistle     as an alarm.
1598)    Kind of small for what it looks like -- so it might be for use     in building a scale model to test the ideas.
    Anyway -- what it *looks* like (other than the strange clamp     screw which also appears to act as a wrench) is the framework on     which a front suspension could be built -- shifting to different     holes to try different angles of castor and camber. Probably     for use with a wood frame, not a metal one.
1599)    I would like higher resolution in the images so I could check     some ideas -- but at a guess, it is intended to hold a carbon     microphone in the box in front of an announcer, or perhaps a     very early telephone operator.
    The actual microphone is missing, but it looks like the kind of     cord used for really old microphones and earsets for ancient     telephones.
1600)    Perhaps for prying a wheel out of a rut so you can add     something below the wheel for increased traction?
1601)    Either of two things to my mind.
    1)    A spray for applying insecticides in the field, or         perhaps herbicides?
    2)    Doesn't quite look right in the nozzle, but it *might*         be a "prickley-pear burner" -- used during sustained         periods of drought when the rancher's tank for watering         the cattle has gone nearly dry. It is used to burn the         needles off "prickley-pear" cactus -- big fat leaves         full of water -- but protected by thorns.
        This works until the drought goes away, and the rancher         stops burning the needles from the cactus, at which         point the thorns grow back and the cattle are reminded         why they normally don't eat cactus, and go back tot he         tank.
1602)    Similar to one in last week's batch -- it pulls frame corners     together for gluing or attaching by other forms of hardware.     This one does not expect mitred corners, but rather an end     against a side.
    Now to see what others suggest.         DoN.