What is it? Set 279

1585: lifting eye for sheet goods 1588: hammer and anvil designed to give a controlled blow to test the malleability of a metal sample. 1590: sheetmetal thickness guage

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

Might be another difficult set, there are three that I need assistance figuring out:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

Just great! No one else had answered so I had a chance to be first. I didn't recognize or even have a clue about a single one.

Feeling a little dumb. Rob, I really appreciate your efforts at doing this, I look forward to Thursdays.

Reply to
DanG

1585. Looks sort of like a cam cleat for rope or line.

Karl

Reply to
kfvorwerk

1585 - Sailboat hardware. A cleat to hold a line against tension. It releases when the line is pulled the other way. 1589 - a tool used for sewing nets with heavy rope? 1590 - a thickness gauge, an old micrometer, but clearly the question is for who?

John

Reply to
woodchips

1590 appears to be a thickness gauge - possibly for metal sheet.
Reply to
joeljcarver
1586 is a center finder, used on a metal lathe

Reply to
bobcat2

Reply to
joelblatt

that if you told us how many TPI the screw we could figure out which gauge is being measured on the dial. It looks to me like the first revolution from tight reads off gauges 3.5 to 35 or 40, and the second revolution reads off gauges 00 to 3.5 with the next half turn. I would hazard a guess that gauge 00 must be about 3 times bigger than gauge

11, and 1.5 times bigger than gauge 3.5. This seems to not be AWG, but maybe British SWG.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

1585. Obviously a cleat or clamp of some sort. I think it's a cleat used to clamp down on a tarp being stretched over something. There are similar cleats on boats, but the ones I've seen have two movable "arms" not just one. On our sailboat, my Dad called these "jamb cleats" or "monkey cleats". Never understood the second term. 1586. An old "wobbler" style center finder for a lathe. I only know this because my machine shop teacher in VoTech showed us a lot of "olde tyme" tools/tricks. 1587. That's a puzzler. Is it possible there is a part missing? Does the metal part thread into the wooden handle? 1588. Some sort of apparatus for drop testing or testing impact sensitivity of a material. Could be used for anything from testing resiliency of a plastic to sensitivity of explosives. 1589. Plumb bob?

1590. A thickness gauge of some sort? But the graduations and calibrations seem to be in a logarithmic not linear scale.

Reply to
Dan Major

It looks like the standard sheet gage used in the US, and the lead of the screw is 1/4". 7ga is about 3/16", about 90 degrees on the dial is

11ga (~1/8"), and another 90 degrees to 16ga (~1/16"). Birmingham Sheet Gage is similar.

The tool could be used in a warehouse or a rolling mill. Starrett makes (or made) large rugged micrometers with a wooden handle for this sort of duty.

Reply to
Ned Simmons
1588 Based on absolute ignorance, I'll suggest that this is a cute door-knocker by/for a blacksmith enthusiast.
Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

1589 looks like an old style fid for splicing wire rope.

Len

Reply to
Len

A couple weeks ago I took a few quick shots of this tool at an auction, it belongs to someone else so I can't tell you the TPI.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

Good guess, door knocker is correct.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

1585) You pull a webbing strap through it (or leather, I guess), and when you relax your pull it pulls the jaws closed if the strap is in contact with the hinged jaw. Not as much tension as a ratchet strap, but good for holding things down in general. 1586) A style of "wiggler" used for centering a workpiece in a 4-jaw chuck (where each jaw is individually adjustable). You place the sharp point at the end of the ball in a center punch, or the ball itself in a center-drilled hole, with the rectangular shank in the toolpost, and adjust the cross-feed until the other end from the ball/point end is near the center in the tailstock.

As you rotate the chuck, the free end draws a circle in the air whose diameter is a function of how far off center the workpiece is. So -- you adjust jaws until the end is stationary through a full revolution of the chuck.

Note that the rod can slide in the gimbal, and the closer the gimbal is to the workpiece the larger the circle at the free end will be.

It is no longer made, based on a catalog from the late 1990s.

1587) No idea -- sorry. 1588) I *like* it. A neat trade (or hobby) specific door knocker. 1589) Hmm ... a strange one, but I have a couple of guesses. 1) A tool for laying rope (center line goes through the hole in the center, and three others go through the 3/4 circle notches, and you turn the handle around it as you go along the length of the rope being made. 2) A bobbin for weaving nets (fairly large opening ones.)

The line being carried by the bobbin wraps through the three notches, and is unwound a notch at a time as you need the extra length.

1590) For measuring the thickness of sheet metal. (Or perhaps wire.)

The handle protects the knuckles of the user from the edges of the metal.

You turn the disc until the end of the screw clamps the sheet metal against the anvil.

The numbers (starting next to the '0' at about 5:00 o'clock indicate the gauge thickness of the metal. (There have been a number of measurement systems for sheet metal and wire, and I can't tell which of the systems is used on this one. But in all of the systems the large the number, the smaller the thickness.

This represents the number of passes through rollers which make it thinner each pass. Note that this goes through about 1 and 1/3 turns before it gets from the "0" which is when the empty gauge closes to the "0" which is quite thick -- and it goes on to "00" at about 1 and one-half turns.

Note how steep the threads are. Those are mult-start threads, (three or four, I think) so 1-1/2 turns take you from fully closed to fully open.

Now to see what others have suggested.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

The scale makes me wonder if it is for measuring the thickness of leather in "Oz." (64ths of an inch) - (but the narrow jaws seem to counter that.)

All the best,

Reply to
Kenneth

certainty:

1585 - This looks to be a rope holder/tensioner, such as might be used on a sailboat. I don't know the official nautical term offhand. The rope can be pulled between the jaws towards the hole for the mounting bolt, but will bind when tension is applied in the other direction. This particular one lacks any loop over the top to prevent the rope from pulling out obliquely, so it's only usable for loads in the plane of the base of the gizmo. 1586 - I think I've run across pictures/descriptions of this tool, but can't remember the name or purpose. I think I might have a vague recollection that it's for setting up machining operations somehow. 1587 - Possibly a tool for holding corrugated metal in place during assembly, say for joining two sheets at their edges? 1588 - Small anvil with drop hammer, I'd guess for jewelry making or similar light work. 1589 - Patent neo-gothic doohicky thingamabobber. The pointed end looks as though it may be intended to bind onto nails, as to pull them out, but the rest of the implement doesn't look at all suited for that task. 1590 - Thickness gauge, I'd guess for sizing wires, but possibly for sheet metal instead.

Now on to other people's ideas!

Reply to
Andrew Erickson

American standard wire gauge, lead works out to 0.22567 " per revolution Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

1586 looks like a wiggler, for truing up stock in a lathe.
Reply to
Steve R.